How to spot faders or "closeted" apostates in a congregation / meeting?

by nevaagain 33 Replies latest jw friends

• MarkofCane
    MarkofCane
    That's a tough one. With so many that are indifferent anymore it hard to spot a real soldier. We made some new friends since my fading and my wife took to them as well, if you met them you would definitely assume they are awake. I threw them some bait once and they spouted the normal JW garbage, they might of pretended just to throw us off in case we were...... on to them. We are a sneaky class ain't we.....
  • suavojr
    suavojr
    It's not that eady easy to spot, since the people who are awake (me included) need to masquerade our feelings and mostly bite our tongues. We all have to live within a closed environment where any slight dissent will take you to a judicial committee. It surely is a captive organization.
  • tor1500
    tor1500

Hi,

I'm sitting here reading all of your posts, and laughing because that's just what I do when I'm at the hall. I participate but I observe how the congregation reacts. I've noticed that when they don't drink the kool-aide, their necks get stiff, their whole body language is different. There are times I feel I may recognize someone on this site as being in my congregation, but NOT, I think it's wishful thinking.

I know that most of them may know TTATT, but as many have said on this forum, they have family in, so they just go to keep the peace. I go because I like the friends, a lot. But I also don't spend a lot of my time with them. I don't want whatever they have....there is a deep rooted sadness in them....even a mean'ness, or the best way is that they are very judgmental, I'm so the opposite of the mind-set.

I've commented on this site a few times....& I still believe that many are in because being a Jehovah Witness gives them an identity, if that name is taken away from them, they would just be Joe Blow Or Josephine Blow. Why do you think they count hours...It's a validation. Majority of them need that. They need to do things to be seen & given a pat on the back. If you really pay attention, it's kind of sad. At times I feel pity for them. Many of them are not even comfortable in their own skins.

When you compliment them, they think it's holy to be so humble, but to an extreme. I could go on, because as someone said on this site...of which I love, this site is way better than going to a shrink & far less expensive....A place to vent with folks that understand.

I love knowing TTATT, I can sit at my meetings in peace. Sometimes on this site there a letters posted before they get to the hall. I love it. I speak with many of the friends, but it's hard not to share what I know. But this is also a test for me, to keep my mouth shut & just go with the flow...

I think about leaving, more times then not. I pray to God & say, if I'm not 'posed to be here....let me know...But God, don't make it hurt, don't let me be DF'd. I'm so hoping that there is a God, so he'll show me the way....OUT.

Tor

• No Longer a JW Brother
    No Longer a JW Brother
    It's not that easy man. Either they are not there or they are good at hiding it. I was a fader for almost 2 years and during that time I was awake, I was an MS, gave comments, did field service, manned the literature counter and all that shit. I can remember though singing my own lyrics to the songs and laughing to myself to keep my sanity. Unless you can read their mind it is tough. Peace.
  • OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

How do ya spot a fader????? Thats easy!!!!!!! They aint thereπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Mad Puppy

..................................http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab110/GeneralWaco/thsmilie_happy_251.gif

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Not regular at meeting attendance (your record is better and you have doubts).

You never see them in service.

Rarely comment.

Rolling their eyes during prayer.

Take off like a bat out of hell after the meetings, (not interested in talking to anyone).

Finally, they become ill on meeting nights but when you see them any other time they are

as happy as a slave with his freedom.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Looking back, I'm pretty sure that I couple JWs I knew were TTATTers.

I live a long ways away now, so there wouldn't be much point following up on it.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

You know, when I was in, pretending, sometimes, I would make the most zeleous comments that I didn't believe a bit just so that I could laugh about it later in the car with my wife.

Something like: We should always follow the Faithful slave, even if they ask things we don't understand. We need to remember that they have more of Jehovah's Spirit as a group than we could ever have as individuals. Thus, even if they have changed a few teachings here and there, we need to trust Jehovah and assume they are right this time - even when we don't understand it. We should trust and wait on Jehovah and pray for his Faithful slave."

Would you have guest that I was a closet apostate?

• MarkofCane
    MarkofCane

Hey James Mixon

That's me to the tee. I'm giving myself away apperantly. Lol
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ Stephane...

I always thought that if you were really stuck in with no way you could leave, acting like a rabid GB fanboy could be a lot of fun... Poe's Law taken to a crazy-ass extreme.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit