50 Years since the first moon landing

by eyeslice2 20 Replies latest jw friends

• eyeslice2
    eyeslice2

In July of 1969, I was 16 years old and was pretty excited by the prospect that the US would shortly land a man on the moon.

However, I remember, vividly and older brother at the time confidently stating that man would never walk on the moon, quoting Psalms 115 - "As for the heavens, they belong to Jehovah. But the earth he has given to the sons of man." A few weeks later of course he was proved wrong.

I wonder how many other witnesses at the time though that God would bring the big A before he let man walk on the moon.

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

I was sitting in my JW Grandparents living room attempting to watch that historic event, all the while Grandma was upset and saying "he is going to die any minute! The bible says "there will be signs in the heavens and blood on the moon!!!" She seemed sad they didn't die.

• Prester John
    Prester John

Quite a few young American, Australian and NZ men were facing their own Armageddon in Vietnam whilst Man was landing on the moon.

Seems ironic, looking back at it now.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I was working at Kodak Aust. Melbourne in 1969 and we watched the live telecast on TV in the lunch room.

It never bothered me one way or the other being an active JW that a man could walk on the moon.

And I was fully aware of the scripture "the earth he has given to men but the heavens belong to Jehovah"

PS.115 : 16

• zeb
    zeb

I believe the wts wrote to NASA saying much of the above about J not permitting moon landings. A copy of that letter would be worth seeing especially so since there has been an active space station for years now.

• cofty
    cofty

If you are in the UK subscribe the BBC podcast series '13 Minutes to the Moon'. It's brilliant.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

For all the naysayers denying the moon landing ,hopefully none here ,their was not just one moon landing but a total of six moon landings resulting in 12 men who actually walked on the Moon over a period of many years .

Just for the record.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

My dad thought the same way. Always telling me god would not allow it to happen. For me at the age of 15 it was one of the greatest things I ever seen. Still Totally ADD

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I remember the first moon landing in 1969 because it was right when we were attending the Intentional Assembly that summer.

Very cool for a young lad to see and witness.

Funny looking back at the time people thought by the year 2000 we be flying around in are own Mobile space ships here on earth .

Back in the early 1970's at car shows they showed what could be the car of the future. One thing I remember is these cars had TVs in them on the front dash.

Sound familiar ?

For the 1964 World Fair in Seattle Washington they built an observatory tower called the Space Needle , that too was under the assumption of what the future was going to be like back then.

Image result for seattle space needle

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

For me the moon landing brought out thoughts of what could go wrong. Much like a submarine, not much you can do when you run out of air. And I wondered, what is going to moon going do to help people on the earth? All the money wasted when they could help improve drought areas etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit