The Hokey Cokey.

by Englishman 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Hamas
    Hamas
    I read the title, and got this image of people childishly dancing and alternately sniffing white powder with rolled up euros

I see that you have been watching 'Yorkshires saddest wedding videos' as well

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

lamo @ hamas.

ash

• Francois
    Francois

OH YEAH, then what's a "Cokey" Mr. Englishman sir? We know what a pokey is and it's what it sounds like it is, so what's a "Cokey?"

• heathen
    heathen

OHHHHHHH and I thought this was another george w thread .lol

• greven
    greven

Maxwel!

I thought it was a bit of deep philosophy and put the text into my scrolling screensaver. I am convinced that someday I'll get it and I'll know the meaning of life.

Look no further! The answer to the question about life, the universe, and everything is...

*drumroll*

But don't panic! We do not know the actual question yet...just the answer.

Greven

ps reference is ofcourse from the brilliant 'hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy' by douglas adams.

• searchfothetruth
    searchfothetruth

I was always told that the reason none of the JW weddinigs I went too ever did this dance was that it was demonic!

We weren't allowed to do it when we went to family weddings because of this.

I could never figure out what the hell it meant and why we couldn't join in!

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

*shakes head in bewilderment*

1. 42
    2. Heineken
    3. Hokey Cokey

WTF?

All I can conclude is that you guys mean you need 42 Heinekens to do the Hokey Cokey.....

its either that ... or you all are just seriously in need for some Dutch loving counsil

-

And the world shall tremble in the wake of the Blue Bubblegum
    Dutch District Overbeer

• Angharad
    Angharad

The Hokey Cokey was one of those things that we did at our painful congregation 'gatherings' - it always turned into a huge scrum with kids being trampled and dragged all over the place, much like when the adults decided to play musical chairs

• Englishman
    Englishman

Hokey Cokey = Holy Consecration!

Dug around a bit, most sites agree broadly on where the origins of the title of the song:

"Why do we sing the Hokey-Cokey?

Hmm...... well ....back in 17th century Puritan England anything 'popish' or Roman Catholic was viewed with great suspicion and open to, at best, ridicule. The Hokey-Cokey, with its song and actions, is a mimicry of the Roman Catholic Mass.

In those days the priest faced the altar (not the people) and performed several actions as he consecrated the bread and wine at Holy Communion. The words of the service were in Latin. You put your left arm in ......etc was ridiculing the priest as he lifted his arms heavenward during the rite. You do the Hokey- Cokey and you turn around............ was when the priest turned to face the congregation with the host (consecrated bread) to offer it to them.

Ooooh, the Hokey-Cokey......... hokey-cokey is a corruption of the Latin words of consecration - Hoc est corpus: 'This is my body' (Note: many of the strange words and phrases of our language are corruptions of other languages introduced to our country over the years and few were educated enough to speak or understand Latin). Knees bend, arm stretch, ra-ra-ra....... knees bend is a ridicule of the genuflection (a kind of religious curtsey to the altar) of the priest, arm stretch is when he holds up his hands at the point of consecration in the service, and ra-ra-ra is just a mimicry of the Latin words and prayers they didn't understand.

Today, many people do not know the origin of the song/dance and just do it for fun, especially to teach children co-ordination (and their right from their left). Today, in England, the Roman Catholic Mass is said in English and is so similar to the Holy Communion of the Church of England that, sometimes, if you didn't know what church you were in............"

Englishman.

• greven
    greven

Very interesting!

I wonder why there was never a wt article about this given their fascination for pagan origins.

We sang this song at primary school here in holland too.

Greven

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit