“Sing Out Joyfully” to Jehovah

by wifibandit 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

Now, now wifibandit - just a copy and paste from reddit?

What's the REAL story here?

2016: Sing Out Joyfully to Jehovah
    Song 50: My Prayer of Dedication
    Take my moments and my days,
    let them flow in constant praise;
    take my silver and my gold;
    nothing, Lord, would I withhold

So, yes, compared to the 2009 song book, the WT has added the lyric about giving silver and gold!

Hmmm, but wait, does the 'take my silver and my gold' lyric sound familiar to anyone?

It should do.....

Below is the 'original' WT song

1950 Songs to Jehovah's Praise
    Song 74: Dedication - 3rd verse, last line
    Take my silver and my gold;

1944 Kingdom Service Song Book
    Song 51: Consecration - 3rd verse, last line

1928 Songs of Praise to Jehovah
    Song 266: All to Thee - 3rd verse, last line

BUT, is that all?

Well, firstly, the line has been put back in

And secondly?

I say WT 'original' (in quotes), because you really should check out one of Christendom's hymns

"Take My Life and Let it Be" - 4th verse
    Take my silver and my gold,
    Not a mite would I withhold.
    Take my intellect and use
    Every pow’r as Thou shalt choose.

http://www.christianity.com/church/church-history/timeline/1801-1900/frances-havergal-wrote-take-my-life-and-let-it-be-11630571.html

https://www.hymnal.net/en/hymn/h/445

Link to scans from below

1950 Songs to Jehovah's Praise

1944 Kingdom Service Song Book

1928 Songs of Praise to Jehovah

• sir82
    sir82

I say WT 'original' (in quotes), because you really should check out one of Christendom's hymns

"Take My Life and Let it Be" - 4th verse
    Take my silver and my gold,
    Not a mite would I withhold.
    Take my intellect and use
    Every pow’r as Thou shalt choose.

Now that's really interesting.

One of the purported reasons for the switch to newer songbooks was to get away from lyrics & melodies "borrowed" from "Christendom".

Now they've gone back and and inserted the line taken from "Christendom" in the 19th century!

Which do you think it was:

-- Typical sloppy editing - some untrained rube in the music dept. found the old lyric in the old songbook, thought it fit in better with the current "give us all your money" meme the WTS is using, and put it in without researching it

OR

-- The WTS is so callous, craven, and greedy, that it simply doesn't care if it is a lyric from "Christendom" - if it prompts more $$$ flowing in, then all is good

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

Now that's really interesting.

One of the purported reasons for the switch to newer songbooks was to get away from lyrics & melodies "borrowed" from "Christendom".

I believe the song was taken out of the purple 1966 Singing and Accompanying Yourselves With Music in Your Hearts song book (and not in the brown 1984 Sing Praises to Jehovah song book either), but reappeared in the 2009 SIng to Jehovah song book.

• pixel
    pixel

Damn.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

By the way, what are the chances that one of the new songs doesn't have the word Jehovah in the Lyrics? I'm going to guess zero. Such fascination with the name.

• sir82
    sir82

By the way, what are the chances that one of the new songs doesn't have the word Jehovah in the Lyrics? I'm going to guess zero. Such fascination with the name.

I'd say the odds are on a par with the odds of a song praising Jesus.

For a "Christian" religion, they sure have a hard time even giving him a passing mention in their songs. Even songs ostensibly about him mention Jehovah far more frequently.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

I'd say the odds are on a par with the odds of a song praising Jesus.

For a "Christian" religion, they sure have a hard time even giving him a passing mention in their songs. Even songs ostensibly about him mention Jehovah far more frequently.

Quick stats:

2016: Sing Out Joyfully to Jehovah - 151 songs
    Jesus - 38 times (no song titles)
    Christ/Christian - 49 times (4 song titles)
    Jehovah - 246 times (28 song titles)

2009 Sing to Jehovah - 135 songs
    Jesus - 29 times (no song titles)
    Christ/Christian - 55 times (4 song titles)
    Jehovah - 220 times (30 song titles)

Remember that's just word counts - word might appear in title and numerous times in a single song (though if it appears in the chorus, that part is just printed the once, but sung two or more times in song)

There are 12% more songs in the new song book.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

What's also interesting is how the WT have used that lyric - take my silver and my gold; nothing, Lord, would I withhold - in the introduction to an article...

(which is also kinda funny, because the following year after the article was published, the song was taken out of the purple 1966 song book)

Watchtower 1 May 1965, pages 281 to 284

Use of One’s Resources in a Godly Way

“HONOR Jehovah with your valuable things,” says Jehovah’s inspired Word, the Holy Bible. These valuable things or resources are referred to in a song sung by the Christian witnesses of Jehovah. Called “Dedication,” the song, which appears in the booklet Songs to Jehovah’s Praise, says, in part: “Take my moments and my days, let them flow in constant praise; take my silver and my gold; nothing, Lord, would I withhold.”—Prov. 3:9.

Using time in a Godly way (2 paragraphs long)
    Use of one's strength and energy (3 paragraphs long)
    Use of financial resourses (9 paragraphs long, excluding concluding para)

Link to scans

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Same old shit... I know some uber-dubs who are going to Africa to help. They are currently working their asses off to pay their own way to Africa from the US.

They sure as hell aren't getting any of Jeehibity-hop's gold!!!

DD

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Do the old timers here remember song number 1 from the old green songbook, it was called "Hail Him" growing up in the sixties, I remember we sang that one just one time, you can tell it's taken from a gospel rock and roller, really got you going, I know I"m not the oldest here but does anyone else remember song #1 from the old green songbook?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit