Conversation with mom today re: apostate material

by Jourles 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• hooberus
    hooberus

According to a 1986 WT arcticle if someone sincerley asks about the claims of apostates then JWs can respond using the scriptures as well as society publications. Hense using this arcticle you can defeat some of the source attacks by JWs using the "that comes from Apostates, so I don't have to consider it" defense mechanism.

Using original Watchtower Literature is best, especially the complete page of the quote therefore the "out of context" argument can be defeated.

flip/flops are also good for dealing with the "new light" getting brighter arguments. for example the men of sodom resurrection teaching which has been reversed multiple times.

• hooberus
    hooberus

Showing the societies double standards can also be useful for example: The following are quotes from two Watchtower Society publications. Note the similarities. Virtually the same words are used -

"date", "dates"

"nothing happened", "nothing has happened"

"false prophesying", "false prophets"

"God's truths", "the whole body of truth"

"True, there have been those in times past who predicted an "end to the world," even announcing a specific date. . . . Yet, nothing happened. . . . They were guilty of false prophesying. . . .Missing from such people were God's truths and the evidence that he was guiding and using them." Awake 10-8-68 p.23

"Some opposers claim that Jehovah's Witnesses are false prophets. These opponets say that dates have been set, but nothing has happened. . . . Moreover, the need to revise our understanding somewhat does not make us false prophets . . . How foolish to take the view that expectations needing some adjustment should call into question the whole body of truth!" Watchtower 3-15-1986 p. 19

Note the double standard:

"They" were guilty of false prophesying . . .

. . . the need to revise our understanding somewhat does not make "us" false prophets . . .

• rocketman
    rocketman
    Are you willing to put your religion through such a test? There is nothing to fear, because if you have the right religion you can only be reassured by the examination.

A timeless quote Elsewhere. Too bad they never apply it to themsleves.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Jourles, I'd very much like to talk with you.

You have a p/m.

Craig

• shotgun
    shotgun

I'm glad to see dirtclod back up......excellent info there.

I went to the bookstudy last night and the elder who is going to be having a biblestudy with me(Just the bible I made that clear) made the wonderful comment you know we have the truth because unlike false religion we are always changing and progressing, we don't stick to false beliefs like stubborn apostates instead we stick to the truth.

Funny...never saw that anywhere in the bible. Thought the truth never changes..no variation.

Also interesting was the discussion of Isaiah 62:11 as it Jehovah talking about Jesus and how he will return and bring his reward with him. Interesting because if you have researched the WT teachings on Rev 22:12 where they have flip flopped between it referrring to Jah or Jesus many times, the verse in Isaiah is clearly the verse being quoted by John in Rev 22:12.The reference bible does not reference this of course.

Thanks Jourles and keep that website running

• gumby
    gumby

Hooberus,

Good job my friend, with the comparison in the societys doubletalk. Your a good defender

Gumby

• acsot
    acsot
    My argument for the "New Light" Is that the scripture says the light gets brighter. The sun that gives us faint light in the morning ass it rises is still the same star that blinds us at noon. The light hasn't changed persay, it's just gotten brighter, like the scripture says.

aojumper:

God, another one to remember! better double the gingko! I sometimes say that the WTS light doesn't get brighter, it changes color or blinks on and off or fades back to what it used to be. I like other people's explanations better.

• Panda
    Panda

Mizpah, I agree with your patient approach to your family. Eventually friends who were really close to me have taken the initiative to get back in touch. To be openly loving , not rejecting their tentative re-approaches at communication, will in the end work best. Recently a wonderful friend has gotten in contact with me. I cried real tears to be united with her again. We had been friends before the dub years. I have to admit that her story of mistreat by the WTS is far more tragic than mine, but now she and her family are seeing what can be salvaged.

Getting together w/ folks who love us , now that's what I'm talkin' about.

"Our day will come old friend, just not today"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit