Bob Hope passed away....

by Inquiry 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Inquiry
    Inquiry

I read this on MSN... sad...

Bob Hope dead at 100 Last Updated Mon, 28 Jul 2003 15:36:20

LOS ANGELES - Legendary comic Bob Hope died Sunday night at the age of 100. His family was at his bedside when he died of pneumonia at his home in Toluca Lake, California.

Hope was born in England and went on to global fame in the United States, first as a wise-cracking vaudevillian, then a star on radio, in the movies and on TV.

Bob Hope entertaining the troops

He turned 100 two months ago.

His daughter, Linda, described her father's death as "beautiful, serene and peaceful." She was at his bedside with other members of the family. "He gave us each a kiss, and that was it."

Hope was a friend of presidents and generals and a lifelong golf fanatic. He entertained troops around the world in many wars, performing at army bases and on the decks of fighting ships.

Linda Hope

A typical Hope joke: "I stopped off in Paris on my way here. They had quite a few artists there, sketching the girls in a show I saw. I thought I'd try it but they threw me out – they said no fair tracing."

His latest war effort was in the first Gulf War in the early 1990s.

"Today America lost a great citizen," said U.S. President George W. Bush. "Bob Hope made us laugh. He lifted our spirits. Bob Hope served our nation. We will mourn the loss of a good man."

Early on, he starred in a string of "Road" movies, with other stars such as the late Bing Crosby, a longtime friend.

It was in 1938, on a Paramount radio show, that Hope introduced his trademark theme song Thanks for the Memory.

• little witch
    little witch

I was washing dishes, and my son came into the kitchen and said, ''Mommy, the president just said on t.v., Bob Hope has died....

I missed the announcement...

Bob is an icon, and a wonderful person....dedicated his life to humoring the lonely....USO, and all....

He has had a very long life, and a good life, and gave so much to others, He will be missed....

Thanks for the announcement....

My condolences to the Hope family....

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

I just feel there's no Hope now. The entertainment industry is Hopeless.

• Inquiry
    Inquiry

I remember his movies, especially the ones with Bing Crosby... My sister and I would always watch Saturday Night at the Movies with Elwy Yost and have a big bowl of popcorn and big bottle of juice or pop... Bob Hope was definately a favourite.. he had such a way with his humour... I've loved him since I was a little girl.

Well, everyone has their time, and Bob had a great time...

Sad he's gone though...

Bye Bob..

Inq

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

What a GREAT comedian! He made many of us laugh for many years. I doubt anyone can really replace Bob. He will be dearly missed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit