Questions for hubsters or male significant others...

by Country Girl 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

I hate nagging. My Mother nagged me the whole time I was growing up. I came to despise the image of female nagging. What I want to know is: HOW do you get a male that loves you to do something that you want him to do without nagging? I tell my husband, in a nice and polite way, for the last 13 years: please take your shoes off at the door (he takes em off 36 feet inside the door and leaves them in the middle of the kitchen floor); please put your clothes in the hamper (he throws them on the floor which is a mere 2 feet from the hamper); and "don't chew your ice, your teeth will break off and then you'll look like a Jack O Lantern and I can't have sex with a Jack O Lantern" and "Don't shake your leg like a dog in heat at the kitchen table cuz you'll spill the gravy!"

We live on a ranch. He's trackin in chicken shit, horse shit, hay, mud, whatever else. I love the man to death. He has no vices to speak of. If anyone were to corner the market in vices, it'd be me. He works 50 hours a week, brings home a good check, and I'm a stay at home wife. I *used* to be a stay at home Mom, but the chick has flown the coop, so it's just me. I would tell someone who asked the same question: Get over it, babe! But I feel like he just doesn't appreciate what I do, and thinks I just wanna spend all my days cleanin up after him! So much work could be AVOIDED if he'd take his shoes off at the door. He USED to take them off upstairs on the white carpet until they started charging $200 to clean the carpet up there, now he takes them off in the middle of the kitchen., where it's just me to sweep and mop and trip over them, and they call be Grace. At least I've got him 36 feet from the front door, now.

He likes to pay chiropractic bills, apparently, since he wants me to bend over all the time and pick up all his clothes off the floor, when he could just walk two more feet and put em in the basket. He says I'm getting a little chunky. Well, he ain't no state fair prize winner either. He has quite a spare tire around his waist, too! Maybe iffen he'd take HIS weight seriously, I would too when he says I'm healthy. He isn't abusive at all: he's just "suggestive." And when I get "suggestive" he's extremely insulted. HA!

He does have his clothes washed, meals made, house cleaned .. when he gets home. That's my job. BUT why does *he* get a thank you and a pat on the back for mowing the lawn on the occasional weekend, and I only get some fire ant bites? Why does he get all excited when he's dug a hole for a tree he bought, and demand an audience, when all I get for washing the skid marks in his underwear is the fact that he'll wear them again?

I just want to know: what will it take to get him more interested in helping me out just a wee bit? Am I being a big ole nag? I ask him politely.... but he just soon forgets about it and goes to sleep.. or does whatever... and then I end up having to wait weeks and weeks. I ask him politely... I even say please.. and he says "Okay, I'll do it." It never gets done. But when stuff that pertains to HIM isn't done, I get the second degree. IN fact, he's more of a nag than I'd ever even dreamed of in my worst nighmares.

CG

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Well ... I cannot offer any advice here, cuz I have no experience in these things. I don't live together with my b/f, and the stuff we get in trouble over are not household related.

But ... My dad and fakemummy always tell me that in any relation its a lot of giving, and a little bit of taking. It's not perfect in any marriage.

My two questions would be. Do you love him? And, do you love being a housewife? The first question is a definate yes, reading from your post. If the second one is a no .... why don't you try and get a part time job out of the house? That would give you abreak from cleaning and scrubbing, and with the extra income you could get someone to help you in the household. :)

-

And the world shall tremble in the wake of the Blue Bubblegum
    Dutch District Overbeer

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

So quit doing the things pertaining to him that you either don't want to do at all, or want him to participate in helping you with. Don't begin again till you have it worked out.

Dang, that was easy. Next!

• Been there
    Been there

CG,

Good post. I shall be waiting to see if any gentlemen have any inside help for you because I will be taking notes. I try hard not to nag also but sometimes it gets to the point where things just drive me crazy.

I'm laid off right now (lovin it) so I have the time to walk behind him to pick up, but when I'm working 40 hours a week it wears me out.

You gotta laugh at the hamper thing. I have a hamper right beside where he takes his clothes off and yep! every morning I have to pick up the underware & T-shirt, socks are left beside the couch. Why? He DOES take his dishes to the sink and rinse them out and..........sit them in the sink. The dishwasher is right next to the sink. Put them in there. I got new carpet finally and he knows there had better not be the big old muddy boot prints from one end of the house to the other like the good old days. I put a chair by the front door on the porch and that is where his boots come off or he dies, plain and simple. The one that always gets me is the tooth paste spit and whiskers in the sink. For years now it has been an on going issue. I clean sink, he brushes teeth and leaves one tooth paste spit higher then the water line, then taps razor on side of sink to get dry whiskers out, leaves tooth paste and razor on sink instead of in the cup they came from. I see this as passive aggressive behavior. He has finally started to use a wash rag and wipe out the sink. Now in about 10 years he should be putting the tooth paste and razor back.

These things are so simple to stop but they become a power struggle. Why? Is it so that if they keep us busy on a bunch of little things we won't have the time to get into the bigger character flaws they may have?

Since I have been off work I have worked very hard around the house to clean up the years of neglect, inside and out. There is this TOOL BOX we have been going round and round about. Big black plastic box that is screwed into a big piece of plywood that slides into his pickup truck. 3 months ago he took it out of his truck and put it on the front porch. At reasonable intervals I remind him nicely that our goal is cleaning the place up and he needs to find a home for this BOX. I asked him how he would like me to ask him in a way that would make him want to do it (I'm game for anything if it will work). I said "If nothing else put it back in the truck that is sitting in the driveway with nothing in the bed of it, until you figure out what to do with it". That was two weeks ago. My nice is almost gone now and the "B***H" is going to show her ugly little head and he won't know why. I would do it but it is to big and heavy for me (I've tried).

One thing I do know CG, is that once the chicks leave the nest, your attention is now more focused on the big bird that is left. Your time is not divided now so the one that is left gets all your attention be it good or bad. We expect so much more from our adult children .

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Six:

I love your sound advice. But it's just not PRACTICAL. Ya can't just do what you want in a marriage... okay... well ya can.. but it won't go over real well! hehehe. Not if you want to have a marriage that is based on what both people want! I likje this guy.,. he's my best friend.. but he's a big ole slob... so there! I told it! he's slobby..

I love this guy.. love him to death.. but he's a big ole slob! What I wanna know is HOW I can turn him into a perfectionist OCD creep like me <smiles>,

CG

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Uhm, actually, I can speak from experience, cuz I am a huge slob.... And it has never helped nagging to me 'bout it, sarcastic remarks from my boyfriend just make me go "well, if you hate it, clean it up". And if he continues on those remarks, I get pissed. What can I say, take me, or leave me, but don't try to change me ....

*Goes to clean the kitchen, cuz it really is a mess....*

-

And the world shall tremble in the wake of the Blue Bubblegum
    Dutch District Overbeer

• Gopher
    Gopher

Maybe I'm idealistic, but I think that if relationships/marriages are to really thrive (and not just survive), there has to be compromise and forgiveness on both sides.

Sure when you're on your own, you can throw your clothes where you want, track in mud, and do other gross things that I don't need to detail.

But to me if you really love someone, then you had better show consideration for the other person's feelings and wishes.

The things being asked by Country Girl are not really all that difficult. They may take 3 minutes a day. But it could make all the difference in making a person like her feel that they're being heard and respected. Then when her mate has any special requests, she is more likely to listen because she has been "heard" earlier in the relationship.

I earlier mentioned both compromise AND forgiveness, because nobody in a relationship will ever go through life without occasionally offending the other person and making them feel hurt. So we can't expect perfection out of each other (nor can we offer it).

However if two people are on opposite sides of a spectrum regarding certain issues (like picking up after oneself, etc.), I would hope that both sides would "give in" a little and meet somewhere in the middle, rather than having these relatively minor things cause growing irritation in a marriage or relationship.

Just dos centavos / zwei pfennig from a "hubster"

• smack
    smack

Floors are designed to be walked on. Clothes hampers keep the dirty clothes 4mm above the floor, so you still have to bend over to transfer them from hamper to washer. Get over it, you probably do shit that annoys the bejeezus out of him.

My 2 cents

Steve

• obiwan
    obiwan

Welll, I don't know how to answer that completely. I myself am a little different.When I mow the grass I sometimes walk in the house without taking off my shoes ( keep in mind we have dogs). Now if the carpets get dirty, I will go and rent the equipement to clean them. Usually what works best is not to do the things for me that she wants done. When he leaves the clothes on the floor, bite your lower lip and walk over it, when thiers crap on the kitchen floor don't mop it up. It may be very difficult to do this but I think it will work. Whithin two weeks he will get tired of mopping!

• berylblue
    berylblue

A side point: What constitutes "nagging"? If I asked (and you'd better believe me, I always asked very nicely) my husbands to do something more than once, I was told I was nagging.

Rosemarie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit