Making a Will.....

by razorMind 11 Replies latest jw friends

• razorMind
    razorMind

Does anyone have any info on how to go about doing this?

I don't own a home or anything much, nor any type of huge estate with precious valuables. I have no idea of the cost or the process.

All I know is that I don't want my JW parents to raise my child in any shape, form, or fashion (there are other issues that reach far beyond them just being JWs), and that I don't want a JW funeral---in case of my demise.

Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• nowisee
    nowisee

having a will only makes sense. i made my first one after my sibling died some years ago. i too did not have a huge amount materially, but i did want to direct what i did have.

shop around for a lawyer -- ask friends and relatives for recommendations. a simple will should cost well under $500. (when i made my first one it was about $l50, some years later, probably around l990, it was probably $200-250).

• Prisca
    Prisca

As nowisee said, find yourself a lawyer who doesn't cost the earth but is someone you feel comfortable explaining your circumstances to. Particularly in the case of who will be your children's guardians. The lawyer should be able to explain how things would go, if you were to die, in regards to your children's welfare ie. who could legally be their guardians, if your parents are able to appeal your directives etc.

I made up a will several years ago but I need to update it. I don't have alot of things either, but it does make things easier for those left behind if you direct now how you want your funeral to be done and what of your estate is to be distributed, rather than leaving it up to an impersonal judge.

• Gadget
    Gadget

In the UK you can get kits from large newsagents that have everything you need to make a legally binding will. I think they cost about 20 pounds. Although if children are involved I would get legal advice and this shouldn't cost a lot. Also, I believe the wbts has a brochure explaining what to do if you want to leave anything to them in your will..........

Gadget

• Scully
    Scully

Lots of places will allow you to pre-arrange your funeral. You decide on the music, the flowers, who gets to say what, how you want your remains to be disposed of, etc.

Regarding your child/ren, you should start inquiring of friends whom you trust and respect, regarding their taking guardianship of your child/ren in the event of your untimely demise.

In your will, you can refer to these arrangements, and add that it is your wish that your minor child/ren NOT be raised by anyone who is a JW. If you are being shunned by JW family members currently, you can state this [and the resultant emotional and psychological abuse] as a reason for your refusal to have your child/ren be raised by relatives.

Hopefully you will never need the services of the people you select as guardians, but it is always better to be safe than sorry.

Love, Scully

• northern girl
    northern girl

Years ago I was an executor of a will of a relative. She was thirty something and died unexpectedly of a heart ailment. She was divorced with minor children, without a great deal of worldly goods. This situation is not JW related but is an important issue. Without a will her ex would have had complete say about the childrens future. As a married couple they never did see eye to eye on child rearing and her final words did affect the ex's mindset in taking care of the kids.

While some people don't put a lot of stock in what someone may say in everyday conversation, they will often remember their final words.

• razorMind
    razorMind

Thanks so much for your replies. They are really very helpful. My sister is DF'd with an 8-year-old, and I've been trying to push her to make one. So this info will help her too.

I know for a certainty, without a doubt, that my father will let my kid die without a blood transfusion. I don't mention my mother because she has no control nor say-so in anything--my dad has all the control. He's been an elder for about a trillion years. Die-hard, staunch, and hard-core. Like I said, there are maaaaany other issues as well--including the fact that my mother is speeding toward a nervous breakdown. It's not a question of IF, but WHEN.

My husband will be an excellent dad; he also has a very loving, close-knit, supportive family (I consider them more my family than my own, sad, huh) to help him if it were I who met with demise. I'm worried about if something happens to both of us.

Yes, it is indeed better to be safe than sorry. I don't like to think about dying but when JW issues are involved, I have to take action.

I'm not even due till January and already stuff like this is keeping me up nights. Thanks again. I don't know what I'd do without you guys!!!

• ninecharger
    ninecharger

If you die intestate, a lot of what is left goes on lawyers' fees, deciding who what how much etc..

I made a will when I was diagnosed with my heart condition. Left everything to my non JW sibling.

• Simon
    Simon

We need to sort this out too ... the last thing we'd want is for our kids to be brought up by JW relatives.

It's a horrible thing to think about but it is important

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

You may find this helpful - http://www.nolo.com/

It concerns itself with US law, but some of the ideas may be beneficial elsewhere.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit