good guy or shmuck?

by DFWnonJW 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

DFW, do you put yourself on a guilt trip if you don't help out? From Texas to Boston? Hmmm. Yes, I believe that if you "Send your bread upon the face of the waters, for in the course of many days you will find again". Eccl. 11:1 I've experienced both situations, helping and be taken advantage of.

Guest 77

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I think one has to use their intuition. Examples:

Recently I was at a pay at the pump and a guy steps out of his car and starts acting crazy. He says "I need gas money, and pulls out some money out of his pocket (just change.) "That's all I've got." He scared the crap out of me. He was with another woman. I looked at him, and said "I pay via pay at the pump." I then started to go back to pumping gas when he started screaming at everyone around him. There were other people around and I quickly put my cap back on my car and took off. This guy didn't show a weapon. I personally think he was on drugs or something. I will NEVER, NEVER give a stranger money in that sense. I have learned not to let my car run out of gas, as this part of town is really seedy. I only fill my car up near home and always lock my purse in my car. The only thing I have is my keys and my gas credit card.

About 10 years ago I was at a mall in Fort Worth and 2 guys came up to me and asked me to help me with their "baby" as their car was not working and it was too hot for the infant. I stepped away and told them I would get security to help them. I then went in to the mall and told the police what happened. The guys were gone by then but later they caught 2 guys resembling them shoplifting in the mall. The guys had these huge shopping bags taped with some sort of tape so they could bypass the metal detectors in the store. The police told me later they were accosting women in the parking lot in an attempt to rob them.

If an elderly needed help, most likely I would help them. It depends on the situation. Elderly people really need to be cautious though, they get scammed out of their money by people telling them they have a winning lottery ticket and they can't cash it because they're illegal aliens. They want the old person to cash it for them, and they promise them a cut of the winnings. Then some "lawyer" comes up and says he can handle it, but the elderly person must put up some "good faith" money, usually thousands of dollars. Of course it's all a scam. Most crimes like this go unreported because the elderly person is too ashamed to admit being duped.

• hippikon
    hippikon

Some time ago I saw a young woman lying on the side of the road waving her hands in the air. As soon as I stopped she jumped up and got into the passengers seat and asked me to take her to the railway station. She was very drunk and stoned so I took her straight to the police station. By the time we got there she had passed out in the car and the police had to extract her. Kind of puts a damper on wanting to help people.

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

You know what gets me is those guys with the "Vietnam Vet -- hungry, homeless can you help?"

How come they can't go out and sell produce like the Mexicans? Too lowly for them? Or stand in front of Home Depot and hire themselves out as day laborers. Sorry Charlie but I don't give them squat.

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

I remember when I was still a dub there was a thunder storm outside and a Mexican guy came in who looked like he had just swam the river. I felt so sorry for him. He was all wet and looked hungry. He saw what he thought was a church and came in to ask for help. No one spoke spanish except me.

He told me he had come over the border a week a go on a truck and was dropped off in LA. He had hitchhiked to San Bernardino county and ended up at our kingdom hall. He had no family and nowhere to sleep during the storm.

All of the elders ignored the situation. I told them what he had told me and they pretended they were too busy. So my husband and I took him to McDonalds, bought him a meal, took him to a motel and paid for one night stay. It was across the street from a contractor's warehouse and we told him he could stand there in the morning and get day labor.

Everyone at the hall said we were wrong to help the man. The elders told us that we would now never get rid of him. They said he would be back at the kingdom hall next week again, etc. etc. But we never saw him again. I don't know if he scammed us or not but I never felt bad for helping him.

I do have a soft spot for people who come across the border and are willing to work hard to get the "American" dream. I just cannot stand ones who stand and pan handle and think they dont' have to work their way in life like the rest of us.

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

It's a shame that there are so many people out there who take advantage of other peoples good nature. It really prevents other people who really need help from being helped.

But, unfortunatly, today, people have to be cautious about helping anybody. There are some people who just love to whine and cry and tell anybody about their troubles and to envoke sympathy, and get a handout. But, what they do with your generosity is another story. You can give and give to someone like that, but they will just take it and never help themselves.

• DFWnonJW
    DFWnonJW
    A for you for being a nice guy.

Robyn; that makes it all worth it

Sixy; that had me laughing all afternoon. I think they made a Seinfeld episode of it didn't they? lol
    Now, while I'm in no position to hand out humanitarian awards, I can dub bestow upon you a new moniker ...SixofNice. Sorry, best I can do.

To everyone else, good stories all. I don't know about the karma thing coming back on ya but it does feel good to help someone out that needs a hand - just can't do it indiscriminately. It jades you when you try to help and it comes back to bite you in the...

• talesin
    talesin
    just can't do it indiscriminately

DFW you hit the nail on the head.

I live in the downtown area. Three winters ago, one of the local 'untouchables' was looking very ill. My partner (at the time) and I brought him home for two weeks until he was well. He has been a great friend. Although a street person, he is olde and wise in many ways. When i got ditched a year later, he was a big support to me and remains in many ways one of the truest friends I have.

'what goes around comes around'

• arrowstar
    arrowstar

((DFW))

I think what you did was a very good thing. You're not a schmuck. You're a caring and giving man. I'm proud to know you.

Arrowstar

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit