Would you or have you used a blood tranfusion?

by TylerMacKay 28 Replies latest jw friends

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Hi Tyler! Welcome! Nice to chat with you yesterday.

• Rush
    Rush

i can speak with a little bit of authority here, or at least first hand knowledge. as a doctor working in an acute general medical department i prescribe blood on a weekly if not daily basis. NO, blood is not a risk free medicine. but neither are many of our modern pharmacy that millions of us take for heart, blood pressure, thyroid and so on.

i've saw a young woman last night in the casualty department who was bleeding from her gut and literally came back to life after blood, in a way that no amount of fluids pumped into her could manage.

with our present technology at the stage it (naturally) is, blood is the gold standard, treatment-of-choice for a few critical conditions. special circumstances excepted (usually in young, fit individuals) which we hear an awful lot about in 'blood-free surgery' stories, we can't do without it as health providers.

and why do witnesses insist on arguing the science behind blood (wonderful design, individual specific, infection transmission) when whether the science was kosher or not, they'd still have to condemn it?

i know the risks, i've seen the problems. but i would still have a transfusion.

if you're new out of the truth, be aware of emotional 'hangovers' from your old beliefs. you've got a fantastic oppurtunity to construct your own code of living now, one you can really have faith in.

thoughts are with you all,

Rush.

• shadow
    shadow

Rush,

Some questions if you don't mind.

Were you a JW? Do you know any doctors who are JW's? Do you ever have discussions about JW policy in detail? Have you had any encounters with HLC?

I would be quite interested in how a JW doctor defends the finer points of WT policy.

Thanks,

• onacruse
    onacruse

reporter, thanks for mentioning "autologous blood." I wouldn't have the slightest problem whatsoever planning for and accepting an autologous transfusion.

Craig

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

*swirls hands* *rolls eyes* lol

• Betsy
    Betsy

I wouldn't have any problem with it at all and I've told my husband exactly what to do if any of my family opposes - DON'T TELL THEM!

Betsy

• Rush
    Rush

Shadow,

i used to be a jw until about 9yrs ago. when i was eighteen, i fell away, packed my bags and went to medical school, which is something i'd always wanted to do and hadn't been able to.

i don't know of any true jw doctors. i have the occasional bout with my parents about blood, but not with anyone more senior. and i've never run into the HLC.

to be honest, i don't think it's worth it. i think that the blood policy is ultimately untenable, and will be eroded away until 'new light' is shed. i really don't lose any sleep over the matter.

i'm more than happy to answer any other questions.

Rush.

• reporter
    reporter
    and i've never run into the HLC.

It's the HLC that harbors the most objections to the WTS' official stand on blood, since they deal with real human life cases day after day. Many within this group are pushing for reform, I understand.

• Special K
    Special K

Welcome Smyler

Good question

when I was an active believing J.W. .. No, I most definitely would not have had a blood transfusion.

But now that I don't believe what the Jehovahs witnesses teach anymore

Yes, I would have a blood transfusion now.. to save my life.

Special K

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit