Cognitive Dissonace on full display at JWtalk over evolution research

by Sanchy 59 Replies latest jw friends

• Doubter
    Doubter

I do appreciate your rebuttal.

But newspapers also talk to everyone. The sports section talks to people who know sports. The business sections talks to people who are into business, and each section uses language and concepts familiar to that target audience.

Why can’t WT do the same thing?

• Sanchy
    Sanchy

Speaking of dumbed down, if you read above where I copy/pasted some of the responses from that post, you will find that one of the comments claims that "good science" must be "easy to understand". Ironically the comment comes from a user named "ScholarJW"

• Sanchy
    Sanchy

Doubter, are you an active JW?

EDIT: NVM, I remember you now. Apologist indeed.

• Doubter
    Doubter

Eh, everyone has a different level of intelligence. People smarter than you have to “dumb down” concepts you don’t grasp, and you, for someone else, and them, for another person. So in reality, it’s all relative, and thus, nothing more than childish name-calling.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    I do appreciate your rebuttal.
    But newspapers also talk to everyone. The sports section talks to people who know sports. The business sections talks to people who are into business, and each section uses language and concepts familiar to that target audience.

Exactly my point. Newspapers, by your own admission, talk to everyone. I challenge you to find any section of any newspaper that writes using the same dumbed down language as those two excerpts you cited.

The wt used to do exactly as newpapers do: write articles that were willing to challange the readers intellect. If that means using a dictionary, so be it. If it means rereading a passage to make sure you understand the point, mores the better.

The references you shared were startlingly poor in their composition. Ive only been gone 3 years and its jarring to read that and know where it comes from.

• Doubter
    Doubter

I’d argue that society as a whole is “dumbed down” because of how we receive information. We get it quick, fast, and therefore, little thought and effort is required to get it. And even less thought is put into analyzing it. So people are too lazy intellectually to take the time to read a book to find what they’re looking for — just “google” it.

Who knows? WT is responding to a clear trend?

• Doubter
    Doubter

Morph -

I can tell you about newspapers I read — they never talk over my head, and I do not have a college education. People with advanced degrees will definitely say it’s dumbed down for me and the dumb masses.

But you’re gonna criticize WT no matter what they do, so why should they care about your ideas?

• sir82
    sir82

But newspapers also talk to everyone. The sports section talks to people who know sports.

The business sections talks to people who are into business, and each section uses language

and concepts familiar to that target audience.

LOL.

Another WT mission statement - "If you're a moron, if you're too stupid to understand 3 syllable words, we want YOU!"

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    I can tell you about newspapers I read — they never talk over my head, and I do not have a college education. People with advanced degrees will definitely say it’s dumbed down for me and the dumb masses.

Your arguing something im not and i think you know it. If they wanted to, of course newspapers could write at a level that would be incomprehensible to most people, full of terms and expressions not common to anyone outside the circles of academia. Instead they write well constructed sentences at, generally speaking, a first or second year college equivalent. Its not overly complex but its certainly not the elementary school level the wt has resorted to recently.

But you’re gonna criticize WT no matter what they do, so why should they care about your ideas?

That is a gross false hood and baseless assumption on your part. Read my posts. I frequently defend the wt (not a position i like) from rediculious accusations on this board. I firmly believe it does great harm when people blame the wt for everything, including their grandmothers gout. There is plenty to critize them for and i believe in being accurate and fair about it. if one wants to be taken seriously, being honest and fair in criticism is a necessity.

• Doubter
    Doubter

I’m arguing that “dumbed down” is a relative term. It is.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit