Any talks from the hall or assembly still stick out in your mind ???

by run dont walk 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Bonnie
    Bonnie

There was a pop group in the 80's called "Frankie Goes To Hollywood"...they had a song out...words were:

"RELAX...DONT DO IT WHEN U WANT TO SUCK TO IT.RELAX DONT DO ...WHEN U WANT TO COME!.....

Brother gave a talk...obviously hadn't a clue about the words.....He said.."Brothers they say in the song........"Relax ...dont do it...well I say....DO IT!!!!

Needless to say all the young ones burst out laughing...much to the disgust of the congregation!! haha

• unbeliever
    unbeliever

There was a local needs talk given in my honor for listening to the band Guns N' Roses. That was by far the most memorable. I still listened to the band and made sure the elders knew about it. I wonder whatever happened to that band.

• smurfette
    smurfette

I remember a talk about Guns & Roses at an assembly in northern minnesota in the 80's or early 90's. It was specifically about the song that went "Used to love her but had to kill her" and youth being exposed to violent song lyrics. I was never really a fan but according to the other JW kids the song was about a dog. Me & a couple of friends laughed all the way through the talk.

• SisterLiz
    SisterLiz

YXL1 I remember those tell-off talks. That was my favourite part of the whole damned meeting. It was so fun to watch the person they were referring to during the talk and if we didn't know, it would be fun to try to figure it out. I remember once they were talking about sisters who wear too much makeup and we knew exactly who he was talking about. It was a young elders wife, and although she got away with adultery, I guess they drew the line at looking like a prostitute., Image is everything I suppose.

• pamkw
    pamkw

Once a sister was giving an experience, her husband was not a jw. And the speaker started on the standard how bad the non jw mate is, and the sister stopped him cold. She was was angry and she said she would not say anything bad about her husband because he was a good person and she loved him. That he took care of her and their children, the only thing he didn't do was believe the same way she did. And she was not going to disrespect him. The speaker was speechless and the experience didn't last very long, I think he was planning on bashing her husband. I never forgot that, I thought now that is true loyality, and I am glad she stood up for her husband. I wanted to stand up and cheer.

Pam

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

I recall one old brother that was a former CO giving a talk on music. He said we shouldn't listen to rock and roll but classical music. I said after to my mom , "What right does he have telling others what they should or shouldn't listen to." She just defended him like normal.

In the 70's, I remember a brother at the convention mentioning about this awful song by Rod Stewart, "Tonight's the night".

Or what about when they put out the old "Youth" book. They would go over each chapter at the ministry school. Well remember the chapter on self abuse. They had some old elder give it. I think most of the young guys my age almost split a gut on that one. One of my friends said, "What if some young brother in the middle of the talk, stood up while stroking himselfself and said, "I will second that thought."

Will

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

"Responsible Childbearing in the Time of the End"

It stopped me having kids.
    Of course there's a silver lining, in that they would have been another point of contention for my JW wife and I.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit