Pacific Northwesterners! A little info please--we're moving out of Jersey

by ashitaka 21 Replies latest jw friends

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Hey,

My wife and I have had it with this expensive gate to hell, and we're getting out of Jersey.

So, how is it out there? What state do you guys think is better as to employment, car insurance, taxes, schools, etc? (between Oregon and Washington)

We're also thinking about Texas---maybe.

In October we are making the cross-country trip (10,000 miles) looking for a new place to live. We've thought about Tennessee, Texas, Oregon, and Washington. We've heard some good things about those states from people who moved from Jersey to there, and we just wanted to get the skinny on it from you guys.

We're desperate to get out of here, and we'd appreciate any help. Plus, we could sponser apostofests once we're out there!

Worst part of Jersey---6,000 a year for car insurance. Average property taxes 5,500. Price for average cape cod--around 200,000 for a very modest house. The roads are horrible, the jobs and management is horrible. Those are the type of things we are trying to avoid.

Thanks guys.

ash

• Princess
    Princess

Hi Ash! We live in Edmonds, about 15 miles north of Seattle. We pay about 1700 a year to insure two cars (one '90 SUV and one '99 minivan) for a year. Yearly tabs run about $100 for the van and less for the SUV.

Property taxes are much lower here...about $2300? can't remember exactly. We don't have a state income tax but pay sales tax of 8.9% on everything but food.

As far as housing goes, I'm not sure what you mean by modest. Our home is about 40 years old in a nice neighborhood, 1800 square feet, 3 bed 2 bath and is about $255,000.

You might want to PM Dim. He moved out here last year from Philly. He'd be able to make more of a comparison I think. I've lived here all my life.

We'd love to see you and show you around if you plan to visit. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Rachel

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    Worst part of Jersey---6,000 a year for car insurance. Average property taxes 5,500. Price for average cape cod--around 200,000 for a very modest house. The roads are horrible, the jobs and management is horrible. Those are the type of things we are trying to avoid.

Yikes! $6K for insurance? I live in Washington too (on the east side...much lower population than the west side). Our car insurance is probably $1200/year for a 1999 GTP and a 2000 Eclipse. Each car license tab costs $63/year, which includes a $30 fee for personalized plates. (Actually the license tabs used to be a huge deal here... when I first bought my GTP in 1999 the license tab was $550! It dropped to $30 the next year after a controversial law was passed.)

Our home is 1500 sq ft, built in 2001, and cost $138K. Property taxes are maybe $1500/year.

Like Princess said, we have no state income tax. Sales tax in my area is 8.3%. Oregon has no sales tax but has income tax.

I like it here, but haven't lived anywhere else. The west side of the state is great, especially if you like larger cities and rain. The east side is nice if you like > 300 sunny days a year. It doesn't rain much here on the east side, and is almost a desert. (Think Arizona.) We have dust problems, the west side has mold/mildew problems.

Edited to add: oh yeah, how could I forget... we have the state's only nuclear power plant in my area. Take a dip in the river! Don't mind the glowing water and three-eyed fish! (Just kidding... all that stuff washes downriver to Portland... just ask onacruse. )

• KGB
    KGB

Well I was born in Everett,Wash. I do not live there now but I do have many family members there. Most of whom worked at Boeing and all have lost there jobs. Most not knowing what to do for work because there is none. I am told that there are hundrends of applicants for every job. Houses at least one on every block for sale. Unless you got some kind of guarantee there I would take a look at something else where. Now don't take my word for it I am only going by what my family says. Oregon is not doing much better either I here as I have family there too. I will tell you where the growth is and the good money. In your mountain resort towns like Aspen, Colorado or Jackson, Wyoming but be prepared to pay big bucks to live there but you also make the big bucks. I did....I was pulling in a quater of a mill just being a house painting contractor...What I do when I get ready to make a move is go online to some places you might be interested in moving too and go to the chamber of commerce sites they will tell you everything from population to average wages, unemployment rate etc....

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    We're also thinking about Texas---maybe.

TEXAS!

First there is the greatness that is the Dallas Cowboys. We can convert you from the Iggles and Sixers to the good teams.

Texas also has no state income tax. Cost of living is much lower compared to NJ. Let's see, I think we pay around $1,000 a year insurance for two cars. I don't know what our property taxes are (), but I know they're lower than NJ's. Our sales tax is 8.25%.

Sounds pretty similar to Oregon. Now the one thing Oregon has over Texas is weather. I think it's much more temperate there, especially in the summer.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I live just outside downtown Seattle. I love the area, but it's got a lot of problems at the moment. The traffic sucks, but I think we are about to solve that problem by putting everybody out of work. I'm an accountant and trust me, the tax structure here is a nightmare for small businesses (I work for one).

On the plus side, it is beautiful here, mountains, rivers, saltwater, lakes, snow, hunting, fishing, skiing, hiking. We have a decent library system, art museums, opera, symphony; in other words; something for everybody. PM me or email me if I can help. I work in investment real estate and can tell you a lot about rentals, although if you want to buy I'm less knowlegeable.

• KGB
    KGB

Big Tex,

your right summers are miserable there, humid as all get out. I lived in Austin in the late 70's to mid 80's

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

KGB

And that's why God created air-conditioning!

• TR
    TR

I live in Spokane Washington, on the east side of the state. Job opportunities aren't as good as in Seattle, but the cost of living here is a lot lower.

My house sounds just like like princess', about 1700 s.f., but about half the price. My auto insurance runs about $2,500 a year, and that includes four vehicles, my wife and I as drivers and TWO teenagers. MY house insurance is about $700 a year. Sales tax is 8.1%.

There are several ski resorts, lakes, motorcycle/biking/hiking/snowmobile trails within an hours drive. We have great weather here. Nothing too extreme. It's pretty dry right now, we haven't had any precip. in about a month.

Spokane is definately NOT a cultural mecca, but oh well.

TR

• kitties_and_horses_oh_my!
    kitties_and_horses_oh_my!

I've lived in Portland, Oregon and Kennewick, Washington.

Portland - Grey and rainy alot, but lush and green because of all the rain. Largest bookstore in the country (Powell's) and fabulous coffee. Lots of people interested in animal rights and the environment, very liberal. Too much traffic, too much crime and housing's expensive. But it's a cool place to live!

Kennewick - Eastern side of WA state, desert-like - don't think sand and cacti, think tumbleweeds and brown hills - not attractive at first but you grow to love the big open sky, the beautiful sunrises and sunsets and the adorable quail (especially when they have their babies each spring!). Not a great library, but they did remodel and the main branch is great, comfy chairs and a fireplace. People tend to be pretty conservative. Coffee has definitely improved since I moved here - there used to be only one lone Starbucks, and it was new and untested at that. ("Grande, half-decaf, non-fat hazelnut latte please." "Huh??") But it's grown and improved, and we now have the requisite one coffee place per three blocks in the main parts of town. Some are good, some are not so good, but they're trying! :-) Weather is GREAT - sun 300 days a year, and even the hottest days aren't bad because it's such a dry heat and because everybody has air conditioning - in Portland when I was growing up if it was 90+ we all just wilted and laid on the couch in front of strategically placed fans. LOW housing prices (I'm drwatson's wife, see his reply) and we have the strongest economy in the state right now. Not that it's easy to get a job, but it can be done. Low crime, hardly anything even approaching a traffic jam other than going between Richland and Kennewick at 5 p.m., and even that takes about 10 minutes instead of 5, so it's not bad. And you never, ever have to parallel park! This is very cool to me because I suck at the afrore-mentioned skill. I think I've had to parallel park one time in 7 years, and then I just got out of the driver's seat and let my friend do it. Okay, I really do suck, at least I admit it! :-) Local produce is available in the spring/summer both at farmers' markets and in local grocery stores - great corn, amazing cherries and apples.

Well, now you know what I care about (good coffee, good books and yummy cherries) - I suppose you could consider that you're living next to a (decomissioned) nuclear plant, that there's a chemical depot about an hour away that has tons of chemical weapons stored that if they ever get out will kill everybody...but if you're running away from chemical fall-out, at least you won't have to parallel park to buy your staples of bulk cherries and lattes!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit