Jehovah's Witnesses Defended

by greven 14 Replies latest jw friends

• greven
    greven

Hi guys!

Has anyone read "Jehovah's Witnesses Defended: An Answer to Scholars and Critics" by Greg Stafford? I haven't but I ask this because it got a 4.5 rating on amazon.com!!!

This rating however is based upon just 2 reviews, so if anybody has read it it might be a good idea to review it here.

Greven

• Brummie
    Brummie

I have the book, he is pretty good at arguing in defense of JWs but thats about it, for the majority it would be like "Who gives a flying anway?".

Makes me laugh in his introduction when he says he is writing the book "unauthorised" because the Governing body spend their time & effort presenting the good news rather than wasting time addressing the arguments he addresses in his book. aww arnt they nice busying themselves with the good news? LOL, EVERY WATCHTOWER & Awake is attacking Christendom and every other belief, they have plenty of time to do it, he was simply covering his ass for being free enough to go against the GB and write this book!

I hear he is wavering as a JW anyway, hope he gets out soon, there's nothing more pitiful than watching someone waste their lives trying to justify the murderous Governing body. Its a bit like a Mormon trying to convince people of their soundness, a waste of time

Brummie

• greven
    greven
    I hear he is wavering as a JW anyway, hope he gets out soon, there's nothing more pitiful than watching someone waste their lives trying to justify the murderous Governing body. Its a bit like a Mormon trying to convince people of their soundness, a waste of time.

I hope so too. If he does quit he will regret writing this book bigtime!

Greven

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Any rank and file JW who asserted the things before a judicial committee that Stafford says in his Three Dissertations would surely be disfellowshipped as an apostate. I can only surmise that it hasn't happened to him yet because he has a rather high profile with the r&f, and the governing body doesn't want to shoot itself in the foot (again).

• mouthy
    mouthy

Jay Hess wrote a book defending the ( or an article) they ousted him...

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Greg is walking a very fine line. I have to believe, based on Three Dissertations, that he no longer believes in the WTS anymore. But he's apparently trying to avoid the JC ax, because all his public statements are very carefully guarded. They lead up to a conclusion, but they never actually state it, so his ass is covered.

• hooberus
  • Mary
    Mary

OK, it was written by a JW, and both Reviews were obviously both by Witnesses. How do I know? They gave it away by using the term "accurate knowledge" in their Reviews. No one else except Jehovah's Witnesses uses that term when discussing something that includes the bible and the Borg........

"....the critics were lacking accurate knowledge of both the Bible and Jehovah's Witnesses...."
    "....1 Timothy 2:3,4 states that it is Gods will that all men be saved and come to have accurate knowledge...."

All other bibles use the term "come to know God"; the NWT is the only one that I'm aware of that uses the term "accurate knowledge"

• Irenaeus
    Irenaeus

Interesting, isn't it that so many who started to defend the organization began to do more research and left. Jerry Bergman points that out. I think that Penton's first book was pro-Witness, and he says reaserching things and getting letters from unhappy Witnesses forced him to rethink. Then there was the guy from Florida many years ago that got mobbed at Cleveland. He too started defending the organization and got canned. Knorr in particular didn't like anyone writing anything, and he and the boys went after Schnell for having an independent book store.

Ray Franz has good words to say about Knorr, but I always disliked theman. I think he had ice water for blood and he was more than a bit of a wimp when it came to Rutherford.

• rocketman
    rocketman

Welcome Iraenaeus!

nteresting, isn't it that so many who started to defend the organization began to do more research and left.

Pretty telling indeed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit