Is Society Really That Degraded?

by pettygrudger 8 Replies latest jw friends

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

I just read this on another thread:

It seems to me , that nowadays "anything goes" and thats a shame

Do any of you really believe that our societies morals are any less decrepid than any other time in history? If so, can someone tell me of any time in history that was more "morally" righteous, pure or wholesome?

As a JW, we were taught this was a definite sign of the "end", but I'm having a hard time seeing it. I watch documentaries on how people were treated in our history, and it seems to me that mankind is slowly but surely IMPROVING our conduct towards our fellow human beings.

What do you think?

• gumby
    gumby
    can someone tell me of any time in history that was more "morally" righteous, pure or wholesome?

That would a hard thing to prove since the dirty nasty is behing closed doors. I think if you were to ask a number of older people from earlier generations many would say things such as...."you didn't sleep together till you were married in MY DAY".

Sometimes the older generation lies a bit too. I am sure many would also tell you they slept around as people do today. Generations go through changes......sometimes things get worse and sometimes better.

I was just telling someone I'm glad I do not live in the "good old days". No cars, work your ass off till dark, little money, no convieniences such as a toilet in the house, little climate control in the house, and about a million other things. People can have the good old days. I think life has improved dramatically. People still have morals today and will. Man is man, and for life to run smooth, people must have boundries and crossing those boundaries often causes problems and probably always will.

Gumby

• zugzfree
    zugzfree

I don't know if things are actually getting worse, but our knowledge of what is going on is increasing due to technology. In the past people weren't as aware of all of the bad stuff happening because they didn't have CNN and the like, or the internet. But today, everyday we are bombarded with news reports reminding us how bad we are. So in answer to your question I would say things have gotten worse, but it's only because there are now more people on this planet (6 billion) than at any other time in history. Of course that probably means that there are more good people on the earth than at any other time as well. It's all a matter of perspective. I think the glass is half full.

zugz

• badolputtytat
    badolputtytat

sorry to butt into the friends topic....

But let's see..... *millions of jews tortured and burned to death under the reign of Hitler

* Hundreds of thousands of blacks in captivity and torture

*Hundreds of thousands of Native "Americans" slaughtered and driven from their land

* un-counted thousands burned and tortured as "witches" in the good ol USA

* of course another couple thousand burned and tortured in the Spanish Inquisition

* Pearl Harbor

*Hiroshima

Need I go on?

Nah... I would say we are runnin' neck in neck with the rest of history Jes another fear tactic thingy

• Skeptic
    Skeptic

People have been the same throughout history. Massacre, torture, brutal crimes have been done throughout history.

Personally, I think things have improved over time.

• version 2.0
    version 2.0

I've got to butt in too:

It may sound cheesy, but in "The Vampire Lestat", Lestat wakes up after two hundred years or so of sleep, to find that the world has changed. He says that it's for the better because in the 1700's only the rich could dress, say, and behave as they pleased, while the peasants were too busy surviving and the bourgeousie were too stuffy. Now everyone dresses, says, and behaves as they please and the world has more of a pulse. Vices are no longer just for the privileged.

Moral decline? Anyone remember Rome? Brutality toward others? Genghis Khan anyone? And for my money, you can't beat the Bible for R-rated violence.

But of course being surrounded for years by people who need the idea that things are going to hell in a hurry will influence the way we see the world.

d

• MrsQ
    MrsQ

Yeah, I gotta say--

I wouldn't want to be alive any other time. First of all (not to beat a dead horse), but as a woman, the chances of me being independent, educated, and free at any other time or place are about nil.

Second, the chances of me surviving childbirth, and me and my family surviving disease and enjoying life is the best right now than it has ever been. The life expectancy rate has increased enormously--and not just because of medicine--general health and PREVENTATIVE measures, including clean water, consciousness of nutrition, and exercise are at an all time historical high.

Of course, the world is not perfect, but I actually think it is better for the average Joe than it has ever been.

As far as evil politicians--well, come on. Study the intrigues of any monarchy in history--or the convenient way the torch was 'passed' in ancient Rome. (Don't like the guy in charge? KILL HIM! Heh.)

Finally, as far as 'immorality' is concerned, Oh Puh-leeze. There are only so many things you can do that are 'immoral', and they have already been done a million times. Every sort of immoral thing was done--OPENLY in ancient Rome, and in many other oriental cultures. Get over it.

It is totally a matter of 'consciousness' by way of television and internet. I saw a guy being interviewed on the Today show, where he had done a study about violent crimes in the past, and violent crimes in the present, and he went through regional news sources and found that the crime rate fluxuates, but basically has not gotten 'worse'. We only think it has because when something happens 900 miles away, we now know about it.

Q.

• cat1759
    cat1759

"Sometimes the older generation lies a bit too. I am sure many would also tell you they slept around as people do today. "

What a profound statement. I found out through needing birth certificates that my mom was pregnant at 16 with my sister. She was not married until three days before her birth. All these years I was told that they had been married a year longer than they actually were.

My sister and I were married before we had sex. What a shock that must have been to my mom. A new concept.

Don't do as I do, do as I say!

Cathy

• thegentleman
    thegentleman

I was the one who wrote that statement in another thread..It had to do with the paintball hunting of naked women. My point was and is that a part of society wants to do whatever they want but not be held responsible for it. To me thats a cop-out. At least stand up to it, and be a better person for it. I see nothing wrong with that. It is what it is pure and simple. But, there are a lot of good people out there and the good ones outnumber the bad, thats why I'm here...

Chris

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit