JWs never really learn how to research

by Elsewhere 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Undecided
    Undecided

I can remember doing a paper on evolution in a class that I knew the teacher believed it. All I did was read and copy old Awake articles. I never read one article other than WT BS. In fact in all my years as a JW I never read anything other than WT publications, except my school books. Now you know why I am so dumb.

Ken P.

• Mary
    Mary
    But in Jehovah’s organization it is not necessary to spend a lot of time and energy in research, for there are brothers in the organization who are assigned to do that very thing, to help you who do not have so much time for this.

Look what happened to Ray Franz when he started doing research outside of the Borg.

The above statement makes it sound as though they're really doing us a real big favour, but of course the reason it's done is not because they give a damn about how much "time" we have or don't have, it's because we might find out that their chronology and doctrines are nothing but a load of crap. Years ago, I was reading a book in the library which, to me, was nothing controversial, but an elder saw me and I freely showed him what I was reading.

Guess who got spoken to about "independent thinking"? They actually did me a big favour, because I asked them why they were so scared about me reading a "worldly" book and they replied that it might give me ideas that are in contrast to the "unhealthy teachings of God's Organization." That really got me thinking "okay, what's out there that I don't know about?"

And now you know the rest of the story.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

RF

I remember once being told that for every minute of a public talk the speaker should do an hours research.

My ex did. He seemed to love it. He was an intelligent man but sacrificed it to the borg who of course dumbbied him down

• rocketman
    rocketman

Outwardly, as mentioned, it seems to be a nice article. And let's face it - not many people have time to do loads of research - though these days, the Net makes some research much easier.

But, as again as mentioned, there is a plain danger here in giving up one's research initiatives and letting others do the work. It indeed means a narrowing a possible viewpoints considered, a lessening of critical thinking ability, and results in a mind easily swayed into accepting whatever the Society writes.

• Piph
    Piph
    It was during those courses I began to realize just how poor the research of the WTS was/is. I eouldn't even call it research. It is down-right pathetic and totally biased

But you all already know that - right?

Right! ...or so I've been told by people who tell me they know how to research...

Seriously, though, I really appreciate your advice on going to a learning center, Lady Lee, and for others' suggestions on how to do research. It sounds great. Sometimes I get discouraged by my seeming inability to think, but when I think about really being able to learn and continually moving toward really breaking free, I get really excited!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit