Who really writes the talks

by anglise 29 Replies latest watchtower bible

• anglise
    anglise

Hallo everyone

The earlier thread about the Min school reminded me of the number of times that I researched and at least partly put together items and pub talks for 'he must be obeyed'.

This was necessary because he worked full time in a demanding job which left very little leeway for cobbling the many assignments together. At first being a good dub wife I felt guilty at doing this but in talking to others whose husbands also worked full time and were not part time cleaners or window cleaners I found that several other elders wives had always done this.

Not only the talks but also sorting out the school assigments, the schedules, field service arrangements, sorting the auditing, coach and accomodation for the DC and CA, checking the accounts etc.

Lots of these sisters also helped their children put together their items.

Rather makes a mockery of the male privilege of "taking the lead".

Most elders and MS are unable to cope with all the pressures and work if their wives dont do most for them. This is of course if their wives are good little dubs and dont work secularly.

Anyone out there had or know of similar things.

Anglise

• gumby
    gumby

Hi Anglise,

I was an elder and knew many other elders and I cannot say I knew of their wives preparing anything for them. I would have NEVER considered my wife "putting together" anything for me in that respect.

Times must be changing.

Gumby

• Dismembered
    Dismembered
    Times must be changing.

Gumby

They are and have been.

Dismembered

• anglise
    anglise

Hi Gumby

I am talking of about 5 years ago.

I knew of at least 8 in our area who through necessity did this.

I would think that most if not all would keep it very quiet due to feeling either guilty or disloyal in some way. I know we did. It was only VERY CLOSE brothers and sisters that we ever talked to about such things.

I imagine it still goes on as most over worked and pressured elders are loathe to pass over an assigment because they know what that means for a fellow elder.

Off course I am not talking about society men here but those genuine caring ones who do exist and end up almost buring themselves out if they dont see the org for what it really is.

Anglise

• Latin assassin from Manhattan
    Latin assassin from Manhattan

When you really think about it, an elder is more of a mouthpiece than an instructor. He does nothing more than to read what has already been written for him by the WTS. The fact that a wife has to take over the few responsibilities placed upon him only reflects just how flawed the organization is.

It's no wonder that children of elders are usually the ones that leave the organization first. They see what these elders are really like after the WT study. The majority of these 'men' barely have a job to sustain themselves, much less their families. A man without the intellectual capacity to earn a decent living cannot possibly have the capacity to deal with more serious topics such as the meaning of life.

I've known many so-called 'elders' who do nothing more with themeselves than to work as doormen in midtown Manhattan. But as soon as bible study night comes around - they put on their $100 suit and now they think they know more than you do. Once they step on that podium, they know how to run a household.

The next time you go to a meeting and an elder asks you about yourself. Tell them that you're a lawyer, a doctor, or even just a computer technician and watch the expression on his face change from interest to disdain. But tell him that you just did time in prison or that you're unemployed and watch his face light up. Why? Because now this doorman thinks he's better than you and he can't wait to come to your house to show you just how much he knows. If you're married it will be even worse because he'll do his best to let your wife know just how worthless you are for not being in the 'truth', in a $100 suit, reciting a talk written by someone else.

An elder might be able to fool the audience with a well written talk, but he can't fool the family that follows him home after the meeting.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

I agree with your last sentence, Latin, but I have to disagree with the rest of your post.

In my current congregation, one of the elders owns his own business, another is a photographer, another is a meteorologist, another is a carpenter. A couple are cleaners, and I'm not sure what the others do.

In my previous congregation, one of the elders was a printing services salesman, one was a high muckety-mack in the Bethel Factory (and a very competent, intelligent guy), and I'm not sure what the others did.

In the congregation before that, one of the elders was in the Bethel legal department, another had a menial job at Bethel, one was a retired accountant, one was a retired police dispatcher and insurance investigator, a couple had solid union blue-collar jobs, and one was a truck driver.

When I was in that same congregation, we hd a sister congregation with inner-city territory. A lot of single-parent families, people on welfare, etc. The elders in that conregation were all either Bethelites or men with stable jobs.

Basically, the socioeconomic status of the elders depends on the socioeconomic status of the territory. But the only elders I've known who didn't have stable jobs--with the exception of one who suffered from mental illness--were those who were pioneers... which was always a small minority of the elders.

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

the FDSC .......the F--ked up Disciples Serving the Congregation.

or Michael Jackson.

• Latin assassin from Manhattan
    Latin assassin from Manhattan

I believe the socio-economic status of the elder depends on whether he developed any skills before entering the truth. You can't tell me you've known an elder or a pioneer going to night school. The thrust of my point was that once somemone becomes fully involved in the truth, they devote little time for developing the future lives of their families. An entrepeneur who enters the truth is a rare thing. A JW who becomes an entrepeneur while in the truth is almost impossible.

• Analysis
    Analysis

In some areas I can see where the wives would be asked to take on the responsibilities of brothers. Besides some of the Elders and MS wives are really more able to handle some tasks. When I was a MS and Elder I would ask my wife to proof read anything that was to go on the assignment board, but that was all.

Now granted there were times that I prepared service-meeting parts during the TMS. And at times on Q &A parts, I found the answers while the paragraph was being read. And being Book Study conductor is a breeze the 2 nd or 3rd time through the book. But, I am a salesman and have learned to be rather quick on my feet. And giving talks at the KH is not the stuff where Rocket Scientists are required.

I stepped down almost 5-years ago. I marvel at times when Elders from the platform make statements about how deep the material is for a particular meeting. What would they do if they had to handle the books Freddie wrote in the 1950s and early 60s?

Latin

Where I live the Elders are normally the best educated and have the best jobs. They drive the best cars and live in the better areas. So it is not the same everywhere. How else do the pay the simony? Now that is not the case in the Spainish Congregations in the area. But, even then they are rich compared to the others in their Congregation.

• what-now?
    what-now?

I've got a good one for you...I was disfellowshipped and my teenage son was in the Ministry School. I wrote all of his talks! (this was just a few years ago)

I was bad enough to disfellowship but not bad enough to write talks. The brothers/elders KNEW I wrote his talks! I had him practice them, so he could advance in the cong. (that was then, we don't even go to meetings now). But if he didn't deliver the talk on the night he was assigned, the elders would have to give a substitute--More work for them.

So for all of those faithful J-dubs out there who think that the information at the meetings is 'inspired', then why would they allow a 'terrible sinner' like me have the opportunity to write in subliminal beliefs in my un-suspecting son's talks?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit