Racism in the WTS

by RR 27 Replies latest jw friends

• RR
    RR

Quick question, has anyone ever experienced racism in the WTS?

RR

• Irreverent
    Irreverent

wrong logon

• blondie
    blondie

Yes, the most outrageous was when I was hanging out, not dating, with a young black brother and other friends. My JW uncle took me aside and told me that I shouldn't think about marrying him because "black people are not as intelligent as white people."

I have seen brothers and sisters (white) refused to work territory where poor black people live. "There is so much crime in that area. My car might be damaged or stolen."

I know brothers and sisters (white) who would never invite black brothers and sisters to their homes and would not have a book study there in case black people were assigned. "Can't be having them use the bathroom, you know."

I have to admit that have experienced racism from black brothers and sisters who would not socialize with the white brothers and sisters.

Blondie

• gumby
    gumby
    Quick question, has anyone ever experienced racism in the WTS?

I think it should be noted that many people think many things inside the "Watchtower".....that the Watchtower does not teach.Racism is one.Gossip is another. Yes they were biggoted in their thought and in print many years ago but what they print and teach NOW is not that way.

One does have to wonder why it took over 120 years for a black man to be on the Governing body.

Many dubs are influenced by the system just as every one else is. They show partiality like other faiths and people do, although they try to convince themselves that God IS NOT partial. People are people.

Gumby

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

RR,

Every religion has its racists, even the Bible Students.

IW

• blondie
    blondie

But the WTS claims to be outstanding in not showing racism, IW. Better than all the other religions and nations on the earth. I bet I can find 20 quotes without even trying.

Blondie

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Hi Blondie,

No religion is free from individuals who are racist, liars, child molesters, adulterers, murderers, etc. yet most publicly condemn those things.

Just trying to present a centrist point of view, that's all.

IW

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

I've seen a little black on white racism as well. In some congregations and areas black brothers and sisters really don't invite others into their circle.

• maxwell
    maxwell

The congregation I grew up in was mostly black at times all black. When my family first came to the congregation, there were three white families. Two of them could have been considered one since together they made three generations of one family actually. The oldest of that group was an elder. Eventually all three families moved to other congregations where there was a majority of white families. We had another white brother move in He became an elder for a while but eventually moved also. The congregation had a big good bye party for the first white elder when he left. I never talked with the elder about his reasons for moving but I get the impression that there was some strain on him there. I do remember one white "sister" in the family that didn't contain an elder speaking with my mom and saying she never got invited to anything. So I'm sure that figured in her decision to go to another congregation.

• yxl1
    yxl1

Almost on a weekly basis.

I remember one meeting where I had worn a black suit with a black shirt. An Elder called me into the library and told me that I shouldnt be wearing black to the meeting as the bible tells us that "Black is a rebellious colour" I told my mum (who is black) and all the black brothers and sisters what this Elder stated. That night the Elder came around to our house and told me off for lying!!

My sister was dating an Elders son. Over dinner the Elder said that he hoped his son didnt marry a black girl because she would end up looking like a "Fat mamma"

The same Elder also made the comment that I was the first black person he'd met that didnt like bananas

During our bookstudy, an elder said that black people are not known for their intellect, but only for their athletic abilites and physical strengh, and what an asset they will be when these ones help in rebuilding the world after Armageddon

When a sister was locked out of her house, a brother phoned and asked me to climb in through her bedroom window. When I asked why their own son couldnt do it, he said that he though "you people" were good at things like that

My mother-in-law warned my wife that black men will always cheat on their wives. It's a cultral thing (She also said that she should be careful on our wedding night because black mens willies were much bigger than that of white men..Cant argue with that!!)

One Elder refused to let his daughter date a black brother saying that mixed marrages never work. He even wrote him a letter saying that he should keep away from his daughter because of his colour. She then married a much older white brother and the marriage lasted about a year

Our congregation consisted of 50% white and 50% non white, and yet we had no black elders and no black MS. No black brothers held any positions. Eventually a Black brother stormed through the ranks and became an MS then Elder, then missionary, then CO. The common conscenus was that he brown-nosed his way to the top. (They failed to realise that he was the most intelligent, funny, interesting, caring person any of us had met at a KH)

When money went missing from the contribution box, only the black members of our book study were questioned

I could go on and on and on and on

yxl1

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit