Today was my D-Day ... I beat the odds!

by Amazing 46 Replies latest jw friends

• Amazing
    Amazing

Last year on July 15th, 2002, my cardiologist gave me less than a year to live. With the 14 remaining blocked arteries, there was not much hope. Even a by-pass would only correct 3 or 4 arteries and give me a slight lease on life. No doctor to date has ever performed a 14-way by-pass.

I have been living carefully. No more smoking I love and miss smoking ... slow long draws into the lungs of fine American tobacco - I am a Marlboro man ... very low cholesterol diet that is still great because it allows a lot of good foods - and pizza once in while is still allowed ... lots of vitamins ... (PS: Vitamin E is oversold and the science on its effectiveness is poor) ... Omega-3 Fatty Acids (Fish Oil) is working well and Doctor recommended (Science is great on this one with triple-blind studies by well recognized doctors) ... lots of grape and cranberry juice ... red wine and beer too ... Alcohol itself is found by serious studies to be very helpful ... Oh Gawd! Life is soooo good ... oh and of course Lipitor, a choloesterol lowering drug ... it works very well ... and regular blood pressure medicine ... and last but not least, aspirin, to be taken every day for the rest of my life.

So, I was supposed to be dead by today ... and I can say that I have beaten the odds ... I am not out of the woods ... and possibly surgery and/or radio-therapy on the arteries will still be needed ... so I am getting ready to volunteer as a patient at a teaching hospital and give some snot-nosed kid a shot at working on my heart ... under supervision of course ... but hey ... it is worth it.

While I get tired still, and sometimes winded with little effort ... my exercise is going good and I am feeling a little better everyday ... I recently helped chain saw a tree that was strom damaged ... so ... in case anyone at the Watchtower headquarters thought that their little weakling Jehovah was going to whack Jim Whitney ... they have another think coming. - Jim W.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Recovered from 14 blocked arteries.... now there is no doubt to you name... AMAZING. Congrats... it's so good to have you back.

• DFWnonJW
    DFWnonJW

Simply Amazing

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

This is indeed wonderful news Amazing!!!!

You keep doing what you're doing - we need you around here at least 10 x longer than that!!!!

• Simon
    Simon

That's great news !

Glad to hear you've not been overdoing things and doing everything you should.

It's really good to have you with us

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Great news Amazing! I am glad you are doing so well!

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

It is so nice to hear from you Amazing.

It is encouraging to hear that you are surviving. After all, that's what it is all about isn't it? Hanging in there, day by day, and surviving.

May you have happiness and be around for another 30 years.

Now, to follow your trademark made readily apparent in your posts, I will include your favorite emoticon.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

This is such good news Jim! It is good to hear of your continuing progress, although I'll admit that I was not aware just HOW serious your situation was.

Please continue to take care of yourself. Every day, in every way, you're getting beter and better and better!

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

(((((((((((((((((((((((Jim)))))))))))))))))))))))))) I hope to see a post just as this one, this time next year. I'm glad you are doing better.

• unique1
    unique1

WAY TO GO!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit