Am I Considered a FEMINIST? Is That a BAD Thing?

by teenyuck 33 Replies latest jw friends

• teenyuck
    teenyuck
    If the definition of a feminism is about "equality" then there is no space for extremes. Equality is equality.

That is the point.

I don't understand why some people have an issue with this.

• Kingpawn
    Kingpawn

The two math equations being different yet getting the same result brings up a good point re: equal pay for equal work.

I work in a meat-processing plant. My job involves lifting, pulling, and dumping out 60# boxes of meat for eight hours, or shoving them across a table to a conveyor. Very few, if any, women that I've met could do that at the pace we run.

In the Pattie Line, the hamburger patties are boxed for shipment. It's 99% women because they have better manual dexterity than many men.

Who's job is more important? Neither. Both sexes have places in the process where they're better suited. But for people who'll insist on "equal work for equal pay" this example could be used by extremists of either gender to justify paying the "other sex" less.

Teenyuck, when you say women make, at most, 70% of each dollar men do, is this for working the same number of hours per year as a man in the same job, or are you allowing for the fact women end up losing time in the workplace due to childbearing? And I agree it's sad more men don't take the time off (if the couple can afford it) to be a "Mr. Mom" when a new child is born (I know you hadn't said that but I assume you will or already feel that way and I agree on that).

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I have worked in many male dominated industries through the years. I guess I became sort of a feminist the time years ago when I was working for a what I thought was a nice man in the incentive promotions industry. Normally, there were more of us in the office, but that day it was just us two. I told him I was stepping out for just a moment to use the facilities. When I came back, there was this arrogant look on my face. "I don't answer phones, that's a woman's job." I snapped back, "what do you do at home and your wife's not there, do you just let the phone ring?" He just sort of looked at me stone face and walked out. Needless to say, I didn't work there very long.

• talesin
    talesin

teenyuck, i wud say that your opinions (as i've read in your posts on this forum) generally reflect what i consider to be a 'feminist' viewpoint. and no, it's not a bad thing.

asleif - my definition of 'radical' feminist is anyone who is on the fringe - different from the mainstream. this cud be a woman OR MAN who is an outspoken activist. it cud also be someone who is very angry and a rude male basher. it's just another label and there are as many definitions as there people who have an opinion.

Fe203Girl - well spoken.

imo, anyone who wants to have a better understanding about 'what [mainstream] feminism is', can read a few issues of Ms. magazine. the latest (spring '03) issue has articles titled 'women on death row', 'why peace is a feminist issue', 'women in Congo form common front for peace', 'the feminist to do list' (featuring energy conservation, aids prevention, universal health care) and 'in the thick of life at 70' (profiles of senior women in entertainment, union organizing, sports, biology).

for a more radical view, you can read 'bitch' or 'bust' magazines.

i went to see gloria steinem at one of the local universities a few years back, and she said that many people don't want to be called a feminist because it has become a dirty word. she suggested that if you don't like the term (or how people treat you if you identify as a feminist), you cud call yourself a 'humanist' or any other term that fits YOUR description of who YOU are. she reiterated that the main thing is that you believe in and work for the pursuit of equality and freedom for ALL peoples.

i am a reluctant feminist myself. by reluctant, i mean that i wish it was unnecessary. i wish i could be treated as an intelligent equal and not a 'piece of a**' by many. i wish i felt safe from rape. i wish that women's work was as highly paid as men's work. i wish that more men wud look into my eyes and not at my breasts when i talk to them. etc, etc ad nauseum. society and our culture has forced me to be feminist, because i am reminded of my lesser stature as a female every day of my life.

btw, just so you know - thanks to all the men out there who see women as equals. i'm lucky to have some of you as my closest friends and trusted supporters.

thank you and good nite.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit