Is the Watchtower a form of addiction?

by expatbrit 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Piph
    Piph
    It is rather obvious that this addiction stems from ones association with the organization, because no matter where you were in the hierarchy of this system, your life revolved around this religion and its activities. It affected what you ate (no blood sausage), what you read (nothing but watchtower materials), whom you spent time with (JW's only), and your choice of careers (pioneering is the way to go). This inevitably instills a sense of need to the average JW. There life has no seperation with their religious affiliation. This often continues for many after they leave the organization, and many have difficulty simply moving on with their life. I believe that even in some sense the addiction/co-dependency intensifies because one has hate for the organization, and becomes very passionate about their dislikes for the society. This seems to fuel their addiction. IMHO, It is a sad way to live.

I just have to say, I thought those were excellent thoughts. I'd never thought of it from that angle, but that's spot on.

• minimus
    minimus

Is JWD a form of addiction?

• jws
    jws
    Is JWD a form of addiction?

I think it definately can be.

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

Is being a Jehovah's Witness in some aspects a form of addiction?

In my own opinion, I would say yes.

People become addicted and accustomed to believing they are superior in possessing the "only real truth" as if they are more important or enlightened than the 6 BILLION people who are NOT JW's.

They also become accustomed to not having to think for themselves, and grow comfortable in the routine of day-to-day JW-ism's.

• KGB
    KGB

Yes they are but then this discussion board is also an addiction.....

• Mr. Kim
    Mr. Kim

I agree with KGB.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Alf wrote:

It seemed rather odd to me for a group of people to hate the organization, its leaders, what it represents and even some of the rank-and-file involved, yet at the same time feel a need to be informed about that same group, talk about their activities and connect with others who had the same co-dependency addiction to the org.

Interesting thought.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

I don't know, but this forum can certainly be an addiction.

Edit: Oops! KGB beat me to it! lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit