PEACE & SECURITY!! New teaching?

by unique1 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• simplesally
    simplesally

Blondie summed it up nicely...... I, too, was going to point out the "Alive in '75" issue: where ones would end their talks with this at the Convention, where it was common for brothers to use this phrase. 1975, when many sold their possessions, quit jobs, charged their credit cards, yet it was never in print, therefore, it was not an official teaching even though it was shouted from the platforms. ................Maybe the point is: YOU DON'T NEED TO LISTEN AT CONVENTIONS??? Wait for the WT.

• mizpah
    mizpah

I heard this same thing being talked about in 1952 and every year thereafter. Jehovah's Witnesses would always be excited if a President mentioned "peace and security" in our time. And, believe me, nearly every President did use the phrase during his administration.

I can also remember how JWs would suggest that every international assembly "would probably be the last." In 1953 nearly all JWs noted that 1954 would mark 40 years from 1914. This had to be "the last assembly" before Armageddon. In 1958, the same JWs observed that it would be 40 years from 1918. They were just as convinced that it would be the last assembly. And on and on it went....

When the Society suggested, then later denied, that 1975 would complete the 6000 years mankind and would probably coincide with Armageddon, everyone was convinced that was the date for "the end." What the Society failed mention later was that Circuit and District Overseers were really pushing this date at assemblies. I remember one that told the brothers that we were like Joshua marching around Jericho for the 10th time. Another said that we no longer counted the years remaining time in years or months but that we should start to calculate it in days and hours.

Isn't it odd how the Society and its leaders as well as JWs in general now have "collective amnesia" about these times. But anyone who lived through them remembers vividly the "tempo of the times" and marching in line of all who were in the Watchtower Society.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

mizpah,

you must be a real old timer ! but you are right about the "Tempo" and expectation of the early 70's that I can remember. Some elders were very positive about the date and said so from the platform . I recall a man who was a good friend of mine at the time "I do not see how the Holy Spirit would allow Gods organisation to be wrong on such an issue! "

I should have learned from that , but it took 20 years more before I really questioned things .

Regarding "Peace on Question" , I agree that has always been seen as a real proclamation from Nations or UNO . Interestingly , the book "Worship The Only True God (2002) said. page 182

1 Thess 5.2 &3 "What form that proclamation of "peace & security " will take remains to be seen . But it will certainly not mean that world leaders have truly solved the problems of mankind. Those who are keeping Jehovahs day close in mind will not be misled by that proclamation . They know that immediately afterward, sudden destruction come"

Are they backing off a bit? Or leaving all the options open?

Perhaps it would be one of events that "We did not recognize until after the time had gone"

• benext
    benext

It may not be true in this case but articles based on talks at the conventions are published every year. You'll have to wait for these to see the "official" stance.

• Swan
    Swan
    Jehovah's people are in a relative state of peace right now, in the sense that most JW aren't being persecuted around the world and the preaching work isn't under ban in many places anymore, so we are at peace right now."

Wait a minute! What about those who claim the pedophile scandal is religious persecution? Wasn't there a WT study article just not too long ago that claimed the media was persecuting them. What about Dateline? Panorama?

So are they being persecuted by the media or are they having Peace and Security and the media is right? I wish these dubs would make up their minds.

Tammy

• freedom96
    freedom96

I remember 1986 very well, and remember it being the international year of peace. I was pissed, because now the society said the end was virtually here, and I had just turned 18. Time for fun, not the end of the world.

Well, we are still here.

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

One of the objectives of the UN was to have peace and security. Let's see, that goes as far back as 1945! Hmmm, 58 years! Yes, we have been living in peace and security for 58 years. Now, how many wars were started and engaged in during that peace and security time line?

Guest 77

• rocketman
    rocketman

It wouldn't make any sense from a scriptural standpoint to apply the teaching in the way that jw mentioned. Those proclaiming "peace and security" are the ones experiencing the destruction, so obviously the jws aren't going to apply it to themselves. This sister just ain't listening very well.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    Already 67 years have passed since the "generation" of 1914 saw the start of these troubles. (Matt. 24:34) So time has nearly run out on this "crooked and twisted generation."

Man, we must be REALLY ****ed since that generation is long gone!!

As for the issue at hand I declare Peace & Security. YOU HEAR ME WATCHTOWER? I DECLARE PEACE & SECURITY!!!!! BRING ON ARMAGEDDON!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit