Street witnessing...

by yxl1 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• sandy
    sandy

One of the reason that "street witnessing" and other alternatives to door to door work are being tried is because JWs are finding it more difficult to find people at home and more communities are restricted to any form of solicitation,
    Is the WT going to have to change their kingdom melody "From House to House" to some other name and change the lyrics? Is that even the name of the song?

• tinkerbell82
    tinkerbell82

oh man, i always found street witnessing to be so excruciating. i always felt like such a schmuck trying to corner people that just wanted to be left alone.

oh, slightly off-topic but the funding talk made me think of it - the other day i was in a used bookstore and i saw two greatest man books for sale ($1.50 each)

• Gadget
    Gadget
    Is the WT going to have to change their kingdom melody "From House to House" to some other name and change the lyrics? Is that even the name of the song?

It could be changed to "From pub to pub". I could be a special pioneer.....

• l3gi0n
    l3gi0n

Street work was always my Favorite, I would start at 5am, and walk up and down the shopping strip, with an old pioneer lady, and maybe one or two other people. So there were always 3 or 4 of us.. Our walk was only about ½ miles. But we took our time, we passed by the fronts of all the stores that would not be open for another 4 or 5 hours at an incredibility slow pace. Often the only vehicle in the parking lot was that of a street cleaner, and the driver never stopped to talk to us. After about 2 hours of this, it would be time for the donut break. Then we hit the laundry mat, That was the sweet spot, an instance 5 placements, and maybe a book, Of course no one was around, there was a 7-11 next door, but we didn’t stick around to talk to the customers. Next thing I knew it was time for service meeting, across town, and of course if I went I didn’t have to stop counting time. An easy 4 hours.

hehe, I knew I was only doing token service, but I don’t think any one I was working with did. I think they really thought they were helping the people in the world.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

Telephone witnessing is the big trend now.

• Latin assassin from Manhattan
    Latin assassin from Manhattan

Street Witnessing? I'm from NYC and as a kid this is how we did it. On Saturday morning, I would meet my pals at the field service meeting. When the elder asked if anyone had plans for bible studies or return visits that morning, you saw a half dozen pairs of hands being lifted by 16-18 year olds. Once the arrangments were made and all the 'outsiders' were paired up with the boring 'older ones' of the congregation, those of us who were 'down with the program' got in our cars and instead of driving off to our bible studies/return visits, we headed to the nearest beach to refine our handball techniques.

You would be surprised to find out how many JW teens in NYC have nothing more to look forward to than to walk up and down their local avenue pitching magazines for 5 hours a day and nothing else to look forward to all summer long. It's no wonder that many of them leave home as soon as they turn 18.

It's even sadder to think that many of them do it only to please their parents. It's not logical to think that the only way to please God is by 'placing' magazines on the street. Do you think youths really believe this? The bible doesn't mention anything about placing literature in order to gain eternal life.

Speaking about literature, did you know that the magazines and books are free ONLY in the U.S.? in third world countries like El Salvador the literature has to be bought by baptized members. You can only imagine how stupid I felt when I told a brother I met on a recent vacation there that the literature was pretty much free in the U.S. He almost cried. He couldn't understand why the literature wasn't free everywhere else. After all, our work is supposed to be considered charitable, right?

• worldlygirl
    worldlygirl

Telephone witnessing is the big trend now.

Will they have to abide by the same rules as the telemarketers in regards to the national "do not call" registry?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

They are a "charitable" / "non-profit" [GAG] organization and are therefore exempt of most telemarketing regulations.

• primitivegenius
    primitivegenius

yeah its whack yall the big push for telephone witnessing. at one time a few years ago i was in charge of the territories so i redid them all and made them all shiny and lined up right and then they decided i needed to get up some telephone territories. so when i thought.......... this will be easy ill just assign out letters to the one or two who were demanding it......... they threw a wrench in the works............... ohhhhh nooooooooo we cant be having that cause we dont want them to get called on twice..... once on the phone and then the next day at there door. so they wanted me to get land maps and find out who owned the land and then let them call the land owners and pretend they actually lived there. then there were three or four other totally useless ideas......... needless to say to this day that cong has no phone territories cept the alphabet version i came up with. you can tell when people arent used to thinking when they cant even come up with a good idea on how to do the phone witnessing.......... but there are good things taht can come of it............ i hate telemarketers calling me and so i know that people are gonna be twice as pissed at jwmarketers lol

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

latin assissan; was that you i played at the courts of orchard beach. the one with no shirt and a tie on . always keeping time i mean score on the back of a wt mag. lol . that was a great story thanks ...john

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit