Follow up on my question yesterday about being df'd for being disrespectful to elders.

by longgone 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• longgone
    longgone

I really have appreciated the suggestions on how to respond to the elders recent behavior of attempting to find a way to disfellowship me and trying to push their way into my home by force. Thank you it's been most helpful to see many different perspectives.

The following post is lengthy as I'm also addressing a related topic to anyone reading this site who is not a Witness but even considering joining. You will see once again how the JW religion destroys families for their own members, those who try to leave quietly, and even the family members who were raised in it yet were never baptized.

As to the what I'm doing now to try to protect myself from their continued harassment and why. I agree that filing a police report would be justified. Yet the chance of a jw actually physically harming me is not great enough to publicly pursue it for one reason. It would surely get back to my family. Thus defeating my efforts to protect my father from this cultish disfellowshipping practice they are so intent on enforcing on all members. I want to leave quietly and peacefully from my end if at all possible.

The other option to request the local elders to stop would be pointless as I've made this cyrstal clear to multiple congregation members and now elders in two congregations! They would surely delight in kicking me out if I initiate another request.

Certainly my situation is far from unique. In this case I've placed a notice on my door that that says: •Private Property. •No Jehovah's Witnesses, solicitors, or religious group, etc. is to knock on the door or contact me in any way.• As far I remember only a Private Property sign was respected by them in their ministry. Hopefully it will in my case.

My other point regarding unbaptized family members is that the whole family can't be together for birthdays and holidays. Nothing new in that statement, but with my dad's age I think of the situation often.

This has deprived him and his children and grandchildren of the many occasions where the entire family could be together when everyone is off work. This is how many "worldly" families keep their ties with extended family over the course of the year or years. Not so with JW's, it's a huge loss for all, a disconnect that can't be changed.

Well, I could go on. I guess it's just hitting me so hard as the time goes by since I left. Now that I've joined my non-witness side of the family, my sisters, children, nieces , nephews , grandchildren, and so on who were either never baptized or left have couldn't become really close with the JW family group including my father who be gone before long.

We're all missing out on what could be amazing, we love each other yet it could be much better... Again, this is not just about me and my family, it's so across the religion.

That's all, I'm just so overwhelmed with the whole package of what the Watchtower grip of " being separate from the world " including worldly family has done and continues to do every single day. Over as out. 😥😣

• Giordano
    Giordano
    I've placed a notice on my door that that says: •Private Property. •No Jehovah's Witnesses, solicitors, or religious group, etc. is to knock on the door or contact me in any way.

I am afraid that could be read that you 'no longer consider yourself as one of the Jehovah's Witnesses' and you are disassociated.

Since you did not want to draw attention to yourself I wouldn't single out any specific religion especially the JW's. If your asked about your sign you can say that it's about the Mormon's knocking constantly knocking on your door.

Otherwise by mentioning the JW's it certainly could be read as 'You are no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses.'

Some other opinions would be helpful.

• longgone
    longgone

Wow! What's wrong with me? That should be obvious.You're so right, see why I get input from others??

I thought by naming an assortment of potential groups it would be ok. I'll revise.

Thank you.

• Dagney
    Dagney

I would take the medical route.

I would have a doctor write a letter saying you have anxiety and any additional stress would be hazardous to your health. Then I would write a nice letter to the elders in the congregation, maybe even all of them, with a CC to WT HQ, and maybe to the CO even, stating that you are under doctor's care and cannot be stressed by any means, and attach the doctor's letter. Thank them for their concern and tell them you will contact them when things improve and you are able. I would send the letters return receipt.

It would be well worth a doctor's visit explaining the harassment, or if you have EAP at work they should be able to provide a letter as well.

WT HQ would probably tell the congregation to back off. It's not worth it.

They can still write you a letter demanding you to meet with them and if you don't show, they can DF you. But if you have the medical issue in place, it might be a good deterrent.

When I left I had an elderly pillar of the congregation mother I looked after. My one goal was to preserve our relationship and not to cause her any more worry at her advanced age. I was ready to do ANYTHING. It didn't come to that but it was a few nerve wracking years when I first left, dodging calls, hiding from the knocks on the door, worried about running into people etc.

Do you know why they are so persistent with you? Usually they save that for elders and servants. Anyway, good luck to you. It will get better.

• carla
    carla

"This has deprived him and his children and grandchildren of the many occasions where the entire family could be together when everyone is off work. This is how many "worldly" families keep their ties with extended family over the course of the year or years. Not so with JW's, it's a huge loss for all, a disconnect that can't be changed."-

This is so true! non jw's get together on holidays because everybody has off whether they are believers in the holiday or not. We all know everybody has off on Christmas for example, nobody care what each person personally believes, we know that at least once a year we will all see each other. It pains me that my jw is missing and will be missing in the records (photographs). It will be like he didn't exist to the future generations.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

We all make choices. I'm sure your dad made this choice long before he was 90. Don't be so hard on yourself. Sure it could be better, Israel and the Palestinians could be good neighbors too, but that ain't happening either. I would just get used to it. Count your blessings. Poor old guy doesn't know what he's missing. get the manager to post the "keep out sign" and put JW's on it. If its signed "the management" you're off the hook.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit