A reality check for JW's and ex-JWs...

by logansrun 23 Replies latest jw friends

• berylblue
    berylblue
    When one of the elders was asked by an observer why a press center had been established, he said that the Society had taken positions against draft registration and the Equal Rights Amendment, and they wanted the public to understand that their views were based on Scripture

WTS apolitical, right?

Uh huh.

• logansrun
    logansrun

Professor Zellner stated in his research:

When one of the elders was asked by an observer why a press center had been established, he said that the Society had taken positions against draft registration and the Equal Rights Amendment, and they wanted the public to understand that their views were based on Scripture

For the record, I believe he misunderstood the Society's position or made an error here. The Society does not take a stand against draft registration in the US, in fact, they encourage members to adhere to the law on this point.

I believe the author might have confused what the elder was saying. Perhaps, and this is just a guess, the elder mentioned that it was rumored the Society took a stand against these positions but that they wanted to clear the matter for the press.(Obviously it wasn't a "burning issue" since nobody from the press showed up)

Nevertheless, I thought Zellner did a good job in his portrayel of the JWs. There were a few minor errors here and there and some of his observations could have used some input from more refined sources, but all in all it is a good piece of work.

Bradley

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

I've been around the Public Relations people at conventions for years and I've never seen this kind of set up. Then there are completely erroneous comments on two different issues. Yet, you say this guy did a good job? What a double standard we have here, if the Wt had done exactly what this guys has done everyone would be screaming liars liars liars yada yada yada. Yet this dude, who evidently fabricated the whole thing is given a pass, what a deal.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Another fine post by logansrun. Well written and I think I agree with your conclusion. I had not given it much thought till your message, but you're absolutely right... only JWs and ex-JWs think the WTS is a big deal.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit