Governing Body--Unanimous or Two-Thirds Majority?

by blondie 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• obiwan
    obiwan

the apostles and Jerusalem elders came "to a unanimous accord"

What may also need to be considered is the gov body's decisions are considered unaimous even though they are a 2/3 vote. The same or something simular may be the case back then, who knows, but it does raise an eye brow.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

I give up, blondie - it must be Russell's last will where I read it. It is in a 1917 WT I have.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    Why did the 1st century GB do things unanimously and the current GB only needs a 2/3 vote.

Why wasn’t the 1/3 vote disfellowshiped by the 2/3 vote?

and for observance of portions of the law.

I would imagine that there are some laws that will always apply, no matter how many times Jesus dies, and apply forever. Many of the laws would not apply simply due to progress. Example: we are not required by Mosaic Law to go outside X amount of yards from our dwelling dig a hole and s*%t in it. We have toilets now.

However, many of the laws would not change regardless of how advanced society becomes. Common sense.

Which leads to why the GB today could not possibly be a continuation of the GB of yesteryear. They do not posses common sense.

The GB of yesteryear perhaps had common sense, but had no knowlege of what a germ was.

I give up, blondie - it must be Russell's last will where I read it. It is in a 1917 WT I have.

oldhippie,

I could be wrong but I thought it wasn't until Russell decided to elect Rutherford as head honcho and then after that they began to form a GB? I'm not possitive about that, that is just what I have always thought. Never did any reasearch on that subject.

plum

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

The 2/3 rule applied to the editors of the Watchtower, as far as I recall, that the articles were read, and if more than 1/3 objected, it was skipped. But it seems I'll have to do some re-reading myself this weekend ............

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

question: was there a governing body in the first century?

I've never come across that term in the scriptures.

• shotgun
    shotgun

Hi wannaexit

question: was there a governing body in the first century?

I've never come across that term in the scriptures.

Of course the bible doesn't say it outright but all you have to do is believe, click your heels togethjer and voila everything is ok....

And if all else fails buy (voluntary contribution I mean) the NWT on cassette and play it backwards...It must be there they said so.

• blondie
    blondie

Yes, I understand that the Bible says nothing about a GB. But the WTS thinks it does. I am wondering how their GB in their 1st century made decisions unanimously (and they point to that as proof of God's backing) but in the 20th and 21st century the WTS GB only needs 2/3 and what SCRIPTURE they base it on (Old Hippie). Traditions of men don't convince me, "that's how Russell did it, it was in his will."

• mizpah
    mizpah

Today, the Governing Body can make any arbitrary decision it wants. It doesn't need the approval of Scriptures to change policy or doctrine. The advantage of claiming "new light" allows it to make a 180 degree turn without being answerable to anyone.

But for the sake of unity, it probably came up with this new ruling of 2/3rds approval so that issues would not come to a standstill. Undoubtedly, it is based on practical considerations rather than Scriptrual ones. Having experienced a GB member who, at times, opposed the majority opinion (Ray Franz) it may have considered the necessity of this arrangement.

This 2/3rds policy reflects more upon the reality of the organization than one realizes. It is a corporation to a world wide publishing empire...not a scriptural Christian organization of believers. While the GB has turned over the running of the day to day affairs to committees, the GB remains the head and heart of this large business corporation.

• blondie
    blondie

Good answer, mizpah. Interesting name.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit