Lu'au anyone

by shotgun 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• shotgun
    shotgun
    Lu'au!
    One of many ways to experience a slice of Island culture, the lu'au (LOO-ow) is a Hawaiian tradition: a feast to celebrate accomplishments, honor important people and commemorate great events. In old Hawai'i it was a time to pay homage to ancestral gods with song, dance and offerings of food, a grand celebration that sometimes lasted for days.

Lu'au description taken from Hawaii.com

Have any of you noticed the April 2003 WT which had a question from the reader which asked why A recent Awake mag dealt with joining in a Lu'au celebration and what fun it could be.

He asked why this was considered ok considering the pagan origins of a Lu'au.

The reply was the word Lu'au is no longer associated with these pagan traditions and it was ok. They did mention it was up to an individuals conscience.

What about birthdays and other celebrations is the first thing that came to my mind. We do not celebrate them because of the pagan origins and more people would associate pagan origins to a Lu'ua than a Birthday party.

I wonder if C.T Russel and J.F Rutherford celebrated their birthdays by having a big old Lu'ua.

• shamus
    shamus

Good point!

What the hell is the WTBTS saying?

Hypocrites, right down to the end, aren't they?

• primitivegenius
    primitivegenius

HYPOCROCEY IS AS HYPOCRITES DO

and i cant spell..... what else is new

• shotgun
    shotgun

I'll scan and post the Questions from readers article tomorrow for all who have not seen it or have inadvertantly thrown out that fine treasure the WT which never loses its worth.

• shotgun
    shotgun

AS promised it was actually in an Awake.

There is also some dandy info from the faithful and discreet slave about brushing your hair.....Fantastic.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

shotgun... that link is to your local harddrive. For the rest of us to be able to see it, it has to be on a website.

(Any chance we can get attachment functionality someday, Simon?)

• unique1
    unique1

Your topic got me in the mood for some Pina Coladas!! Or really anything alcoholic and fruity with a cute little umbrella.

• Hapgood
    Hapgood

I showed this article to my jw husband when I informed him that I was attending my Mom's birthday party.

Hapgood

• shotgun
    shotgun

Sorry about that link failure its the April 8 Awake pg 30 Questions from readers and it refers to the article in the June 8 Awake 2002.

Have a good Lu'au or:

Happy party day...thats what we say when we have a party for the little ones in the hall even though half of them start shouting happy birthday to the utter horror of all the adults in attendance....stop that ..stop that Jehovah hates birthdays don't you know the day of your death is more important.

Besides don't you know the baker was beheaded at pharoahs birthday party.....what about the cook.... what happened to the cook?

Next thing you'll want to do is pin the tail on the donkey which is an ancient pagan custom where husbands were made out to be hapless jackasses looking for a little tail.

Cod Ham, Holy peppermint patty what in cheezes name was I thinking goodthing JFR cleaned up the Org of these pagan practises.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Damn you, Shotgun, you actually made me find the Awake!

Here's the text, for anyone who cares:

Luaus I read with interest your article "Let's Have a Hawaiian Luau." (June 8, 2002) Several years ago I attended a luau in Hawaii. I felt there were strong religious and spiritistic overtones. Even if luaus today do not involve religious or spiritistic aspects, how are they different from other celebrations that have pagan origins but simply have been adopted by modern cultures to be a family fun gathering?

L. F., United States

"Awake!" responds:
    As noted there in our footnote on page 24, while the luau may at one time have had a connection with false religious practices, the word now has simply come to refer to a Hawaiian banquet. A specific gathering to which the word "luau" is applied may or may not be appropriate for a Christian to attend. As in all aspects of life, Christians should make decisions that will leave them with a clear conscience before Jehovah God. --1 Timothy 1:5,19; see also the January 8, 2000 issue of "Awake!" pages 26-7

Basically, they completely duck the question. They acknolwedge that luaus are matter of conscience... but they don't explain why other celebrations with pagan origins are any different.

I remember that January 8 Awake, because it moved some people on witnet to write to the Society and ask whether toasting was acceptable for Christians; they were told it was a matter of conscience. The prohibition on toasting was one of the little things that had never made sense to me, even when I was a completely loyal dub.

Does anyone think that they're laying the groundwork for a softer policy on holidays, or at least on birthdays?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit