Memorial Question

by charity7 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• charity7
    charity7

Hi guys. My husband is a jw and I have a question because yesterday was the memorial. I was wondering how they pick the date for the memorial because, even though religious groups are celebrating today as Easter, next Sunday is actually the anniversary date of the resurrection according to the Jewish calendar? Are the Governing Body (are they the ones who decide the date?) basing it on the Greek calendar and not the Jewish calendar. I just thought this was interesting.

• stillin
    stillin

As I understand it, the GB is almost always in accordance with the Jewish tradition. This puts Passover on the first full moon AFTER the Spring equinox. The difference may come when the full moon occurs over Jerusalem or somewhere in the ocean.

The GB wants to out-Jew the Jewish faith.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

From jw dot org:

"Jehovah’s Witnesses observe the Memorial after sundown on Nisan 14, according to the reckoning of the Jewish calendar that was common in the first century. The Jewish day begins at sundown and extends until the following sundown. So Jesus died on the same Jewish calendar day that he instituted the Memorial. The beginning of the month of Nisan was the sunset after the new moon nearest the spring equinox became visible in Jerusalem. The Memorial date is 14 days thereafter. (Thus the date for the Memorial may not coincide with that of the Passover kept by modern-day Jews. Why not? The start of their calendar months is set to coincide with the astronomical new moon, not the visible new moon over Jerusalem, which may come 18 to 30 hours later. Also, most Jews today keep the Passover on Nisan 15, not on the 14th as did Jesus in harmony with what was stated in the Mosaic Law.)"

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1101989248

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    Hi guys. My husband is a jw and I have a question because yesterday was the memorial. I was wondering how they pick the date for the memorial because, even though religious groups are celebrating today as Easter, next Sunday is actually the anniversary date of the resurrection according to the Jewish calendar? Are the Governing Body (are they the ones who decide the date?) basing it on the Greek calendar and not the Jewish calendar. I just thought this was interesting.

Above they have provided you with great information. Just out of curiosity, any reason why you don't ask your husband? I'm not being smart. I know that some spouses prefer not to inquire because the simple question evolves into an entire preaching session, or in an attempt to convert you.

I wonder if that's your case.

• charity7
    charity7

Thank you for your responses. And to answer scratchme1010’s question why I haven’t asked my husband is because whenever I inquired about their beliefs he gets very angry and it turns into a fight. He gets very defensive and his responses are, “Satan has blinded your eyes,” and the such like. So I don’t bring up anything religious to avoid the nasty and hateful responses, but it’s ok for him to talk freely about it.

My 4 year old daughter told me the other day that I shouldn’t go to church. And when I asked her why, she said, Dad said that Satan is going to kill people who go to church.

So there’s that for you! Wow, being married to a JW has been an eye opener.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I century Jewish tradition based on a lunar calendar. Ok so several decades before jesus was born Julius Caesar adopted the Egyptian solar calendar and called it the Julian calendar. The Egyptians were using this calendar for well over a thousand years and we’re the authority over the area where the Jews lived until Assyria then Babylin pushed them out.

So one can summize that maybe the Jews didn’t have a lunar calendar until after they went to Babylon and then were to change before jesus showed up to the Julian calendar. Anyway you slice it jesus the son of god died for mankind’s sins and no one knows the exact date . They instead have to use a older less accurate lunar calendar. I call bull Shiite, it’s all Astro theology related.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Of course JW Org never mentions that the Gospels differ as to the actual night that Jesus held the Last Supper.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

For the sake of charity7 and other newbies ,lurkers , could you please elaborate on your statement that the Gospels differ as to what night Jesus held the last supper ?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I think this is another clear cut case of "WE ARE RIGHT, OTHERS ARE WRONG!"

Best answer by stillin on this thread:
    "The GB wants to out-Jew the Jewish faith."

It doesn't matter how they arrive at it, it is enough to know that it is added to their smug attitude about holidays, birthdays, stake vs. cross, and the likes.

• nugget
    nugget

I always get confused by the memorial. I had imagined it should take place on the passover but it never seem to and sometimes it has been days adrift.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit