Have any of you been a victim of a Break in?

by Uzzah 17 Replies latest jw friends

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Uzzah. Sorry to hear of this. I used to work in the electronic security field 18 years ago, and your reaction was very typical of most I came into contact with. Very upsetiing that some stranger bastard has rumaged through your drawers, cupboards and personal spaces, not to mention some of the terrible damage and vandalism I've seen.

I installed a security system in our new house, when we moved in 7 years ago, and since then I have had 2 attempts, that were thwarted due to the fact that I had a system, and it was triggered, when they attempted to pry open basement windows.

In both cases, it was in daylight hours, during a school week. Most of these type of break ins are perpetrated by young teens who should be in school, looking for a quick buck, or merchandise to fence. They are usually in and out of the house in under 5 minutes. 2 punks inside, 1 outside as a lookout.

If any one is considering a security system, be certain to price one out, that includes perimeter sensors, on all basement and ground level windows and doors. This will allow you to "arm" it even while you are home. And if you can afford it, pay for the monthly monitoring. Many Alarm companies will offer to monitor additional alarm codes such as fire, low temperature, water etc, for the same monthly fee, or slightly more.

P.S. Deal with a reputable Alarm Company in your area, whose Alarm stickers are recognized and respected. Stickers from the "buck or two" store are a joke.

• hippikon
    hippikon

yes

• Simon
    Simon

Yes

It's a horrible feeling, knowing someone else has invaded your private space, not to mention waltzed off with your stuff.

Don't dwell on it.

• primitivegenius
    primitivegenius

hahahaha AZ i bet they are checking you out but for other personal reasons ........ fortunately i havent had anything stolen that im aware of but i think i scared the sh*t out of some of my neighbors when i was transporting a pistol back into my apartment after a morning of target shooting.......... illegal to carry it loaded so when i was getting outta the car i loaded it and racked the slide........ all done outta site of anyone but they heard me do it and they knew what it meant. lol but i got enough people around that someone will have seen something. still locks and the like only protect you from the honest cause the dishonest will get in one way or another. i pity them if they do it when im home...... unless shes cute then im prolly stupid enough to help her carry stuff out.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Sorry to hear about that Uzzah. I know how you feel about wanting to have been there to get them. My only experience with this was after an apostofest. When I went back to my car I found that some thug had smashed their way in with a screwdriver and rifled the contents. Just about the only thing of value in there was my wife's walkman that she uses to listen to bible tapes. It had a tape in it as well, so listen out for that experience at a forthcoming convention, because when the brother confesses to it, I'm gonna get him.

Hopefully the extra security measures will deter future nastiness. It may be an idea to keep an eye skinned around the neighbourhood if these are serial burglars.

Expatbrit

• Prisca
    Prisca
    so listen out for that experience at a forthcoming convention, because when the brother confesses to it, I'm gonna get him.

LOL.....

• Scully
    Scully

I had almost forgotten about the time the retail store I worked at was robbed. I was the evening supervisor and it was my job to count the receipts, close the registers and place the day's receipts in the safe. I always had another employee stay with me to close - it made the task go a lot faster AND it ensured that there was another person who could vouch for me in the event that there were errors. In hindsight, that was probably the smartest idea I ever had at that job.

Anyway, after closing the store and getting all the money counted and accounted for and putting it in the safe and locking it securely, locking the office and then setting the alarm system (which included motion detectors), the employee and I left the store. It was about 9:30 pm.

At 8am the next morning my phone rang - it was the store manager asking me to come in to the store. The police were there and they needed me to go in to be interviewed as to what occurred at store closing and whether I had noticed anyone hanging around outside the store front in the mall, where I would have been closing the registers. The burglars had entered the store via the space above the drop-ceiling in the office where the safe was kept. Because they were behind a closed door, the motion detectors didn't penetrate into the office to set off the alarm. The safe had been opened with a blow torch.

Of course, the police figured that I had been there alone and thought that I had something to do with the robbery. Having the employee there with me, who was later able to corroborate my story independently, saved me from having to be fingerprinted and probably losing my job. Of course, the fact that I was six months pregnant at the time and wouldn't climb up on a roof if my life depended on it likely helped too.

Love, Scully

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

No, I have been very fortunate. But if a certain person in my household keeps leaving the garage door open, I am sure my luck will change for the worse.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit