Failed missionary learns to think differently: Daniel Everett

by Diogenesister 1 Replies latest jw experiences

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

"When we go through life thinking we individually have got it all figured out , it can lead to a eared and simplistic veiw of the world. My way is perfect. Yours is crazy or evil. We can't eradicate false belief but things can improve if we practice intellectual humility & open our mind. If we realise SOME OF THOSE FALSE BELIEFS RESIDE IN OUR OWN COMMUNITY AND RECOGNIZE JUST HOW MUCH OF WHAT WE BELIEVE DEPENDS ON THOSE AROUND US"

I posted a little about anthropologist Daniel Everett on another thread about Amber Scorah, and how their experiences as "failed" missionaries, although from different Christian fundamentalist religions, tallied in so many ways. They both had to disguise their illegal proselytizing as an endeavour to teach and learn the local language.

Neither converted anyone but themselves ...or rather deconverted since they are now both atheists.But what I found most interesting was their take on being with people so vastly different from the group's they were used to, and how it opened their eyes to a whole new way of thinking.

The Pirahã people Don't have fixed words for colour or a number system and couldn't understand, for instance, why Daniel would come to tell them about someone neither he nor any of his family or ancestors had ever known! Neither do they have a concept for war or personal property. I highly recommend Daniels TED talk and book " Don't Sleep; there are Snakes"

https://youtu.be/get272FyNto

• Half banana
    Half banana

Thanks for posting this Diog. Everett is a really good speaker with something interesting and relevant to say. Both he and Amber saw themselves and their relationship to the world more accurately by being in an unfamiliar culture. It enabled them to see that formerly they had only fitted into a small niche of humankind with the limiting constraints of the Western religious perspective and a language which had developed to encompass those ideals.

The Pirana people give us a window into a prehistoric world-view our forebears enjoyed and like other un-westernised South American tribes they are not that smitten with religion.

To those hesitating to leave the JWs, this Ted Talk shows how there is another and better existence outside of the Kingdom Hall. As Amber Scorah and Daniel Everett show, their new life experience engaging with a global, non partisan evaluation of the world-- instead of being stuck in a cult -- is not only richer but life enhancing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit