Gloom and Doom from 100 years ago -- Watch Tower 1918

by FatFreek 2005 21 Replies latest social current

• ElderEtta
    ElderEtta

That is a puzzle. Perhaps someone here knows.

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

I hope you're right.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee
    Maybe they were allowed multiple votes. You have a ballot with all the names and you are allowed to vote for all the open positions, in this case seven. I know I have voted for board members in that way.
  • ElderEtta
    ElderEtta

Hmm mm ..... let's do some math here

1,142,980 / 7 = 163,282

The first number is the number of votes cast divided by 7 equals that final number of 163,000 and some change. I have my doubts that Watchtower membership was at that level in those years but I don't know that for a fact.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Rinse and repeat rinse and repeat. They don’t even have to write new info just pull up an old one and reprint.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

As what can be seen the IBSA was still hooked onto Russell as a special Scripture interpreter or code breaker.

Christ's return was a big thing and when it was propagated by Russell through his literature it had its appealing nature for people to conceptually imagine and emotively embrace.

Then one of his followers and also a lawyer he had used in other business dealings took over the presidency of the WTS and a new expansive religion was created, again centralized around the WTS publishing house.

New doctrines were created which were supposed to elevate the righteousness of the following participates with the intent of appeasing Jehovah and his son.

Interestingly the organization didn't leave the doctrine of 1914 as its was still accepted all throughout the 20th century even to this day.

• skin
    skin

Interestingly the organization didn't leave the doctrine of 1914

I have not seen any reference to the year 1914 (in this context) in any WT book published between 1915 - 1930. It was dropped after the 1914 date did not coming true. Only many years later, after reshuffling dates did they reintroduce 1914 under today's understanding.

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Yes, 1928, when 1914 replaced 1874 as the goto date, establishment of the kingdom. 1914 then replaced 1799 as the beginning of the end.

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/5073177480790016/26-prophetic-failures-watchtowers-most-heralded-date-1914

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I have not seen any reference to the year 1914

You might right Skin , the first position on 1914 was a failed doctrine, because of that Rutherford built up a new date/year in 1925, that failed as well, back to the drawing board.

Ironically Rutherford also proclaimed in 1919 that god had chosen the IBSA organization because of its self assumed truthful bible interpretation and the preaching work they were involved in.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

re. Fink's post...

Historically, apocalyptic groups have had to regularly "date-set" in order to maintain enthusiasm in their membership and continually bring in new members.

In my personal opinion, one of the indications of the WTS's stagnation is the fact that they simply cannot do that anymore; it's happened so often (with obvious failure) that the tactic is long past its sell-by date.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit