Do You Ever Slip Back into JW auto mode?

by core 12 Replies latest jw friends

• core
    core

Hearing News on TV about 'Peace & Security'.........seeing blood sausage in a store............ hearing / reading about hypocrisy exposed in 'worldly religions' .........do you have children at school and instantly react with the immediate NO of JW think at every request re after school activities

Do these or other things cause yoiu to momentarily slip back to the thought controlled personality you had with its auto responses.....or have you been able to free yourself from these reactions?

• m0nk3y
    m0nk3y

I think we all still have a little bit of JW embedded into us .. depending on how long you lived your life in the JW way kinda dictates how much power it holds. Myself being brought up with the beliefs from birth to the age of 21 I don't beleive I will ever fully purge its hold on me. But not all JW teachings I was brought up with are bad ... some moral standings can do nothing but keep you safe.

monk3y

• dmouse
    dmouse

Yes, I think we will always have those Pavlovian responses the WBTS so carefully programmed us with.

Personally I can see them tripping in but they have no effect whatsoever - I just reflect on them in an amused way.

• primitivegenius
    primitivegenius

definately i dont think a person can spend 30 years in an organization and not do it. fortunately alot of the things that we automaticly do because of that upbringing are good. so automaticly doing them isnt a hinderance.... and by dwelling on what no longer applys we can determine our course from here on out.

• rocketman
    rocketman

It happens to many of us I'd guess. It's a deeply inbred response.

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

I'm working hard at de-programming and re-programming with something new whenever I see those dub traits in myself....I keep taking courses to grow and expand my consciousness...

ESTEE

• Hamas
    Hamas

It's like ive always said.

You can leave the Watchtower, but the Watchtower never completely leaves you.

• teejay
    teejay

Yeah... what Hamas said.

• searchfothetruth
    searchfothetruth

We had a christmas tree up for the first time last year and I felt guilty as hell, unbelievable.

Hamas you hit the nail on the head...and I hate it.

I still find myself saying 'the truth' even after consciously trying not to.

• Jessica Rabbit
    Jessica Rabbit

I only give credit to my JW upbringing because I really can't think of another reason I would handle the situation like I do. The situation is this: I am constantly being tested with my honesty. I am either being given more money back than I should at the store and sometimes even at the bank. I have found several wallets too. My concience will not allow me to keep what isn't mine. One time (after I was df'd) I went to make a deposit and the bank teller not only gave me the correct deposit receipt, but she gave me the exact amount back in cash. I had put my paycheck in and was going to take out only $150.00 back in cash. It was a holiday weekend coming up and the lines were real long. I didn't bother counting the money until I got home. It was so tempting to keep the extra amount. I wasn't able to reach the bank teller for a couple of days. When I did call and tell them what happened, the bank teller was so thrilled that I called to return the money that she sent me a "thank you" card and flowers. My first thought was one of those replies "It is because of my religious upbringing that I live my life this way." JW or XJW;No matter how many bad things I've done since I left the org. I can not tolerate dishonesty when it comes to other people's money or property. I don't think it is in my nature to react that way because I always need more money. I believe it is because of my belief in God and that when he says "you will reap what you sew" and "do unto others as you would want them to do to you." There are benefits to living this way. I can sleep at night.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit