Don't read this, there's nothing to see here

by RevMalk 12 Replies latest jw friends

• RevMalk
    RevMalk

I just received an email from Randy @ Freeminds, with the subject 'movie'.

It contains a zip file named your_details.zip

I haven't contacted Randy yet regarding the email, but I suspect it's not from him, because the name of the file is a known virus. I recommend to anyone and everyone that received this email to contact [email protected]

I'm doing so now, but I wanted to warn everyone just in case. It could be something or could be nothing.
    Rev ---------- LambsRoar.org

• Simon
    Simon

It's pretty obvious that *someone* with both Sheila Bowen's and Randy Watter's email addresses in their list or recent correspondence has a virus.

Just so you know, I never send attachments out so if you get anything purporting to come from me, delete it.

• RevMalk
    RevMalk

oh, so I'm a day late on this? haha.

Here's a post we received on LambsRoar regarding this virus:

We got stung with this worm last week. It's the w32/sobig.e virus. Info and a tool to disinfect your PC can be found here:

http://vil.mcafee.com/dispVirus.asp?virus_k=100429

The damnable thing about this beast is that as part of its modus operandi it turns OFF most anti-virus programs. Our corporate install of Inoculate *saw* the infection, but was unable to disinfect the affected PCs. Only the Stinger utility available at the above-mentioned link completely removed it.

Also, do NOT mail the person whose email seems to be the offending culprit. Another aspect of this worm is that it selects an address from your Address Book at random and uses THAT address as the "From" addresss. Sneaky, ain't it!?
    Fortunately, I use Mozilla's email client and don't get these puppies.

Rev

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Yes, that e-mail has been making its rounds and is targetted strategically, I suspect, at ex-JW sites/groups/forums.

I've seen it.

Realized it was peculiar. It hit me 3X in the last few days.

BE CAREFUL! (Don't open it), just delete it, or if you wish to trace it (use full headers) go to:

http://combat.uxn.com/

• RevMalk
    RevMalk

I must have received this thing 100 times, but this is the first with any JW relation.

I get job applications all day long with the file, and I almost opened it one day, but I found it odd that it said "your_details" rather than "my_details". Why would I hire someone that knows MY details, lol.

Rev

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

RevMalk: I suspect someone has too much time on their hands and has probably been going through various JW related sites and have gathered e-mails etc., and have decided to distribute a virus/worm.

I'm glad you alerted us, because (the e-mail/file) is very convincing to an unsuspecting recipient (especially if you have any former JW connection).

I'm sure I'll see it again soon enough.

Thanks for the heads-up Rev.

• FairGame
    FairGame

If EVERYONE were diligent in monitoring thir computers and what is given out....we might not have to have the hysterics. LOL I personally have Norton. Takes care of everything...so far.

• RevMalk
    RevMalk

I wouldn't call it hysterics.

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Hey "Rev"

I have a hardware firewall and two other major programs on my email and internet, so it wasn't me. Obviously from someone who had MY email in their address book. Besides, why would I email you?

Perhaps you could find something more sensational to shout about.

Randy

• RevMalk
    RevMalk

I was simply warning others that it was going around, and informed them that I assumed the email didn't come from you. Maybe you need to go back and read it again?

I certainly didn't mean anything bad by it. Shoot me for trying to warn people.

I simply don't understand why it is that no matter what you say on this site, someone has to criticize you, I really don't.

Rev

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit