two young jw girls knocking at my door

by kilroy2 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• kilroy2
    kilroy2

two young jw girls form the indian river congergation came knocking at my door yesterday.

At first I thought that they were mormons. they said that they were dubbers. and started to explain the religion, I stoped them and said that I was a dubber for 30 years.

they were shocked, As I started to explain that I left because of unanswered questions. of 607 bce. and explained the situation as best I could as it is a little complicated.

They just said that eveyone had to search for them selves, turned and went back to the dubber mobiel.

It more sad than fun seeing young people who have no idea of what they are doing.

• Hamas
    Hamas

Well, maybe you have planted seeds of doubts into their minds with what you said.

Good work.

• Celia
    Celia

I haven't seen JWs for so long in this neighborhood, I am wondering if the congregation has been disbanded...

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

Even as a youth JW I was aware of the 607 vs 586 controversy....

• rocketman
    rocketman

Yes, it's likely they were totally in over their heads with any discussion on Bible chronology, especially the younger generation of jws, which seems to have been dumbed down over the years. The "deeper" prophetic books and bookstudies seem to be a thing of the past, perhaps with the exception of the Isaiah volumes.

• Room 215
    Room 215

Quite true Rocketman; years ago, a far greater proportion of JWs were capable of mounting an effective defense of their beliefs in a give-and-take confrontation with a householder than the current crop. The WT has resorted to published short magazine presentations in the Kingdom Ministry,which can be memorized and recited verbatim.

• kilroy2
    kilroy2

thats true 215, I remember when we would study then is finished the mystery. babylon the grat has fallen. we would sigh, it was sooo deep and we did not want to go through it as it was muddy anyway to make you so confused that you just gave in and did not question for fear of having to study more. now the dubbers in an effort to hang on tighter to the rank and file. have given them less to scrutinize. and they have no way to understand what they believe littleone questions form outside. the rise and fall of the golden age.

• Oxnard Hamster
    Oxnard Hamster

Were either of the girls cute?

• willyloman
    willyloman

Rocketman wrote: "...dumbed down...with the possible exception of the Isaiah volumes."

Please don't take offense, R'man, but since you brought it up I need to go on a rant.

The two Isaiah books will soon have consumed the time and attention of JW's for two and a half years and I can assure you all that very few have become bible scholars as a result. As for providing deep study of the scriptures, the books simply state the obvious, that the verses apply to actual historical events in Israel. Once that's covered, the second half of each chapter goes to great pains to show that, somehow, the more real and significant application is to world events involved faithful and discreet slave class since 1919.

The truth is, Isaiah is a book about Jewish events and points forward to the fulfilment of prophecies concerning the restoration of the Jewish home land. There might be five scriptures in the entire book of Isaiah that could possibly, maybe, have something to do with the future, but it would take a real bible scholar to intuit that and here's some news: Biblical scholarship is remarkably absent from virtually every page in either volume of this steaming pile of horse poop.

These books are totally irrelevant to the average witness, because they contain not one word about Christian principles or the problems faced by modern-day Christians.

I know at least four people who have "left the truth" or started to fade because this book was the last straw. I've sat and watched as the proper explanation of the "modern day fulfillment" was painfully extracted from the largely unwilling audience, often by an elder who was busily rephrasing the questions at the bottom of the paragraphs to make the study more palatable.

• kitties_and_horses_oh_my!
    kitties_and_horses_oh_my!

I used to study so, so much - somehow thought if I studied enough I might be good enough to have someone talk to me at meetings instead of leaving me sitting alone in my seat, usually near tears, but that's another story. I would have questions about certain prophecies because I did study so much and I saw contradictions in the explanations of different prophecies. I would always wait patiently for the particular paragraph to come up, but my questions were never answered. I'd usually go to an elder after meeting to try and get an answer, but all I'd ever get was double-speak that left me feeling either a)stupid or b)upset because I really didn't understand! I never questioned that the society was right about their explanations, just felt like it was my fault for not understanding them. There was one exception to that, however - when we first studied the Revelation Climax book (didn't we study that like three times in five years??) I was still young enough to have a few independent brain cells and I wondered about - and then quickly repressed - thoughts about "how do they know this??" I couldn't figure out how anyone could have come up with that brilliant knowledge, but then it was all light from Jehovah, right?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit