JW Malaise

by Half banana 21 Replies latest watchtower medical

• blondie
    blondie

smiddy3, (love that Marvin is back)

"You will notice their is not one meeting dedicated to actual Bible Study .Not one. In the Jehovah`s Witness religion."

Actually, the WTS used semantics and changed it from

Congregation Book Study

to

Congregation Bible Study

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/202008368#h=2

During the week of April 21-27, 2008, the worldwide brotherhood heard an exciting announcement. “Commencing January 1, 2009, the Congregation Book Study will be held at the same time as the Theocratic Ministry School and the Service Meeting. The name of the Congregation Book Study will be changed to Congregation Bible Study.”

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

" Malaise according to the Cambridge Dictionary:

a general feeling of being ill or having no energy, or an uncomfortable feeling that something is wrong, especially with society, and that you cannot change the situation "

I think I suffered greatly from this when I was in, as did many many others. A lot in my Congregation consulted their Doctor about this, and one said " What is wrong with you people ?" He was getting a disproportionate number of J.W's presenting with the problem.

I think it was the root cause of my ever worsening depression, which only started to get better the day I left. I began to feel true happiness for the first time in my life !

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

They can call it a bible study but it is still a book study. Same for " study the bible by use of the watchtower " on Sunday

• blondie
    blondie

RTW, that's true, that is why I said

Actually, the WTS used semantics and changed it from

Congregation Book Study

to

Congregation Bible Study

The WTS is always changing terms: congregation servant to congregation overseer, in this case quite a difference servant to overseer, evidently the WTS did not want their members to think that the elders show be serving them.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

thanks blondie I wasn`t aware of that and as you rightly state semantics , rtnw.

And it only took them till 2009 from 1879 to have a meeting called a Bible Study. ? 140 years ?

My mind boggles

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Half banana - "Is there a malaise in the JW world? In the congregations, in the Bethels, among individuals?"

Hmph.

If there isn't by now, the loyalists are even more clueless than we thought.

• Half banana
    Half banana

Vidiot I guess that if you live a normal self interested Witness existence with your head in the clouds and your feet just slightly off the ground, then when you see the "quiet desperation", as Thoreau put it, of the average JW-- you ain't going to recognise it.

• blondie
    blondie

smiddy3, actually the book study format was really the first meeting, studying Russell's Studies in the Scriptures in small groups in homes. The WT was not a study publication, that did not come later.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/301975003#h=159:0-159:177

Meetings of the Bible Students continued to supply rich spiritual food. Group studies of The Watch Tower were first organized in 1922.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1102014255

The June 15, 1932, Watchtower provided further direction on how this meeting should be conducted. Using as a model the study that was conducted in the Bethel Home, the article stated that a brother should lead the meeting. Three brothers could sit at the front of the meeting place and take turns reading the paragraphs. Articles at that time did not include printed questions, so the conductor was told to ask the audience to raise questions on the material under consideration. After that, he would call on people in the audience to give answers to those questions. If further clarification was needed, the conductor was directed to offer a “brief and succinct” explanation.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2007322#h=16:0-16:503

At that time (1935) the group of Witnesses with whom we associated met as a congregation in Fort Dodge, Iowa. Much effort was required to attend Christian meetings. Back then, the Watchtower study articles did not include questions for the congregation discussion. We were asked to submit prepared questions to the brother who conducted the Watchtower Study. On Monday nights, my mother and I prepared a question for each paragraph, and we gave these to the conductor so that he could choose which ones to use.

Rutherford gradually phased out the Studies letting them go out of print and substituting his own books as vehicles of learning. Early on in the WTS history, members were told that they could only understand the bible through the WTS and its publications. Studying the bible by itself and by themselves would not lead them to the truth.

"Furthermore, not only do we find that people cannot see the divine plan in studying the Bible by itself, but we see, also, that if anyone lays the SCRIPTURE STUDIES aside, even after he has used them, after he has become familiar with them, after he has read them for ten years - if he then lays them aside and ignores them and goes to the Bible alone, though he has understood his Bible for ten years, our experience shows that within two years he goes into darkness. On the other hand, if he had earnest heed to the opportunities for service and consider that merely read the SCRIPTURE STUDIES with their references, and had not read a page of the Bible, as such, he would be in the light at the end of the two years, because he would have the light of the Scriptures." Watchtower 1910 Sep 15 reprints p.344

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Half banana - "I guess that if you live a normal self interested Witness existence with your head in the clouds and your feet just slightly off the ground, then when you see the 'quiet desperation', as Thoreau put it, of the average JW-- you ain't going to recognise it."

Oh, I'm sure...

...and if not "quiet desperation", than definitely other things.

Case in point...

...before my fade, I'd come to the conclusion that evolution had to be true (but hadn't yet realized that the WTS could never budge on it, and assumed they'd come around some day, ha ha, silly me).

It was at that point when I started noticing the subtle (and sometimes not-so subtle) vitriol some JWs displayed in their comments whenever the WT- or book-study touched on the subject. I realized that they were, in part, echoing WT sentiments, but it seemed like an an oddly disproportionate degree of hostility... WT ideology rejected evolution, after all, but didn't seem to actively hate and - more importantly - fear it (or so I thought at the time).

I scratched my head, wondering where the borderline-prejudice was coming from (and - as per your post - why the hell hadn't I seen it before), but it wasn't until later that I realized that - similar to "apostasy" - they weren't negative and bellicose because they believed it was false...

...they were hostile and afraid because they were scared it was true.

• sir82
    sir82

What Vidiot said. I just heard some comments on evolution this past weekend echoing exactly what he said.

I remember an elder's wife who, every chance she got, would sneeringly refer to it as "evil - lution".

Oh, and I see the same glassy-eyed & unhinged hatred toward gays as well - just sheer, unadorned loathing.

Almost like, 'if I don't express my most vile and hateful disgust toward them, "it" might somehow rub off or infect me.'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit