This Weekend's Watchtower Study "What You Vow, Pay" from April issue

by BluesBrother 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Just some random thoughts here... Theme scripture is Matt.5: 33 . We already had a thread explaining that Jesus added a "but" after those words. However, few would argue against the principle of keeping one's word. Par 2 describes :

2 As used in the Bible, a vow is a solemn promise that is made to God. A person promises to perform some act, to offer some gift, to enter some type of service, or to abstain from certain things. Vows are made voluntarily, of one’s own free will. Nevertheless, they are sacred and binding in God’s eyes because they carry the force of an oath

O K then ... We have Biblical examples of vow keepers , starting with Jepthah. He swore that

“If you give the Ammonites into my hand, then whoever comes out of the door of my house to meet me when I return in peace from the Ammonites will become Jehovah’s.”

At least that what it says in para 5 . The NWT scripture (Judges 11.31) adds the words " and I must offer that one up as a burnt offering" .. I guess this article did not want to go into that , so it left it out of the soundbite quote. Anyway his daughter did not die but had to serve at the Tabernacle the rest of her days, poor girl.

We get to the main part where they want to teach modern dubs about their own lives so first they discuss "Dedication " Para 10

To use Jesus’ words, a person thus ‘disowns himself,’ gives up all rights to himself, and vows to put God’s will above everything else in his life. (Matt. 16:24) From that day forward, ‘he belongs to Jehovah.

Can you really expect that level of commitment from a pre pubescent child? as they seem to advocate nowadays..The Bible describes adult baptism.

Next is marriage..a lifetime commitment . I noticed though that they mentioned grounds for separation . This differs from divorce although it still breaks the agreement. It seems the worst of both worlds. They say . Para 16:

However, some married Christians have viewed certain situations as a reason for separation, such as the extreme endangerment of one’s life or spirituality by an abusive or apostate spouse. *

Hmmm , food for thought on the part of a few sisters with UBMs...

Finally there is something that some, I know, had not heard of before Para 19

Currently, there are some 67,000 members of the Worldwide Order of Special Full-Time Servants of Jehovah’s Witnesses. Some perform Bethel service, {other duties were listed} ......They are all bound by a “Vow of Obedience and Poverty,” with which they agree to do whatever is assigned to them in the advancement of Kingdom interests, to live a simple lifestyle, and to abstain from secular employment without permission.

To those who asked me, I surmised that it was a way for the WTS to get around employment laws for Bethelites and the like. Please correct me if you know better.

So there is a vow from the Bethelite, but the WTS will still dismiss them at will . It only works one way.....c'est la vie in Watchtowerland ......

• dogon
    dogon

The bible itself is a bunch of crazy idiots running around like asshats. Its a book written by goat herders.

• stillin
    stillin

What's wrong with herding goats? That sounds better than waiting for a check to come on the mail!

Asshats! Hahahaaa

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

Trivia: I don't think the GB have revealed the total number of members of the Worldwide Order in print before??

Watchtower April 2017, page 8, para 19

Currently, there are some 67,000 members of the Worldwide Order of Special Full-Time Servants of Jehovah’s Witnesses. Some perform Bethel service, others engage in construction or in circuit work, serve as field instructors or special pioneers or missionaries or as Assembly Hall or Bible school facility servants.

2017 Yearbook of Jehovah’s Witnesses - Grand Totals 2016

During the 2016 service year, Jehovah’s Witnesses spent over $213 million in caring for special pioneers, missionaries, and circuit overseers in their field service assignments. Worldwide, a total of 19,818 ordained ministers staff the branch facilities. All are members of the Worldwide Order of Special Full-Time Servants of Jehovah’s Witnesses.

Two figures to extract:

Therefore there are around 47,182 Worldwide Order members who aren't in Bethel.

US$213 million spent caring for 67,000 members = they cost US$3,179-per-member-per-year (US$265-per-month)

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

Even though my mom was an almost totally immersed in JW doctrine, she led a pretty normal life until she had post partum depression at 33 and they hooked her in. One of her thoughts though was when the Society started this business of "willing" you estate to the Society she was not falling for it. She said, "Jehovah rules everything, the universe....everything. He doesn't need my money."

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

I haven't read the posts here yet but I do remember someone told me that an Elder made a vow to Jehovah as a teenager that he will not marry anyone in this old system of things. When he was in his 30's, he fell in love with a very good looking sister and he got married to her. There was some talk about him being removed as an elder because he practically told about everyone his vow for years but they did not remove him as an elder. He is currently COBE and he still gives many talks at the District Assembly! Go Figure!

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

"Worldwide Order of Special Full-Time Servants of Jehovah" Well isn't that "special" lol.

Shouldn't that say the New World Order of Special Full-time Servants or would that be too obvious lol again.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

The reason for this WT is because about a year ago they made everyone pledge what they could give them monthly and now they are calling in these pledges with a guilt trip. Betcha they get 20% Max on those pledges.

2 As used in the Bible, a vow is a solemn promise that is made to God. A person promises to perform some act, to offer some gift, to enter some type of service, or to abstain from certain things. Vows are made voluntarily, of one’s own free will. Nevertheless, they are sacred and binding in God’s eyes because they carry the force of an oath
  • Lostandfound
    Lostandfound

Only one word in the article theme stands out, PAY, give us your lives or at least your money, PAY, and keep paying, someone has to fund our watches!

• Tallon
    Tallon
    The reason for this WT is because about a year ago they made everyone pledge what they could give them monthly and now they are calling in these pledges with a guilt trip ... Brokeback Watchtower

Forgive the pun however, you are right on the money!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit