Jewish God Yahweh Originated in Canaanite Vulcan, Says New Theory

by greek 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• betterdaze
  • Spike28
    Spike28

What about the name elohim it is derived from el so what about el from the canaanite religion the god el is it elohim the canaanite god el or el shaddai because I'm doing some research and elohim was the original name of God until Moses came and then it was Yahweh and then the translation in English Jehovah

• Spike28
    Spike28

The name elohim in genesis 1 God's called elohim in genesis 2:4 God's called yahweh from my understanding and research so God must be el from what the canaanite religion people worshiped a pagon God you say? And the name yahweh original originated from Egypt as the God yah now known as yahweh

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

An excerpt from a longer Post by the excellent "Leolaia", an Authority in Linguistics :

" . Regarding Exodus 6:3, Professor Mark Smith writes:

"The priestly theological treatment of Israel's early religious history in Exodus 6:2-3 identifies the old god El Shadday with Yahweh. In this passage Yahweh appears to Moses: 'And God said to Moses, "I am Yahweh. I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, as El Shadday, but by my name Yahweh I did not make myself known to them" '. This passage reflects the fact that Yahweh was unknown to the patriarchs. Rather, they worshipped the Canaanite god El. Inscriptional texts from Deir 'Alla, a site north of Jericho across the Jordan River, attest to the epithet Shadday....The author of Exodus 6:2-3 perhaps did not know of or make this distinction; rather, he identified Yahweh with the traditions of the great Canaanite god El". (The Early History of God, p. 34)

The conflation between El and Yahweh occurred rather early. The attestation of Asherah as a consort of Yahweh in pre-exilic inscriptions is direct evidence of this since in Canaanite mythology, Asherah is the wife of El. This fact also shows that the conflation was originally not due to monotheism. We can also note that, unlike the case of Yahweh and Baal, there are no biblical polemics against El, and El eventually became a generic word for "god", hence the expression 'l 'lhym yhwh "God of gods is Yahweh" (cf. Joshua 22:22; Psalm 10:12; 50:1). The depiction of Yahweh in Deuteronomy 32 is quite interesting because tho’ Yahweh is explicitly designated as a son of Elyon, he is described in language characteristic of El (cf. Deuteronomy 32:6-7). So before the outright identification of the two, there was a period when language of one was applied to the other without dissolving the distinction.

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

Smiddy:

Isn`t Adonai the name for the Almighty God of Creation in the Roman Catholic Douay Version of the Bible ?
    One other thing to consider the words lord and Adonia both mean Baal.
    Could they be both one and the same ?

I am no expert, but for most of Catholic history, the official bible was the Latin Vulgate, which translates Elohim as “Deus” (ie God) and YHVH as “Dominus” (ie Lord). Adonai and Baal are Hebrew words. I think Adonai is usually translated as “Dominus” (ie Lord) as well.

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

I have been doing a bit of reading myself, particularly inter linear versions to work out what the early books of the bible actually say. (I don’t know why, given I think it is all complete fiction.).

My amateur research causes me to broadly agree with Phizzy. I would go further and say that Elohim means “gods”, not “God”, and read that way, many passages make more sense. I note from a brief check on the internet that Jews agree that Elohim is a plural term (El is the singular), and Jews don’t really have a great answer why a plural term is used. The exact same word (Elohim) is used to describe other gods in the first of the 10 commandments, but a slightly different word is used to describe a statue to be worshipped, or a “molten god” etc. Further, whenever there is a phrase in English such as “Lord thy God” it seems to be always YHVH El (ie the singular El, not the plural Elohim).

Add to that, some other observations, eg Balaam is sent on his way on his talking donkey by Elohim, but later stopped by YHVH; and Abraham is told to sacrifice Isaac, again only to be stopped by YHVH. It seems to me that early Judaism was not monotheistic at all; it is just that YHVH became the national god, and those passages became slanted towards a monotheistic interpretation, over time.

• LV101
    LV101

Great video (BBC) is by scholar, Dr. Stavrakupoulou re/Canaanite god, El, "Did God Have a Wife." Very informative re/Jewish/Christian, God, and how poor Asherah was almost deleted from the Bible.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

So yes the Canaanites (Polytheists) worshiped El before the Hebrews (Jews) (Monotheists)

That's where the name and area of Israel came from.

.....and what about Yahweh's consort Asherah ?

Typical in ancient mythology, woman get kicked to the ground and over powered by males.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit