What big dreams have you accomplished/not accomplished?

by ashitaka 12 Replies latest jw friends

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

My dream is finally sitting my lazy ass down and writing like I had dreamed about all my life; novels, screenplays, anything.

Also, if you have accomplished, how did you get there?

If not, what impeded you?

ash

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Since I was a child I wanted to be a counselor to abuse victims/survivors.

After I left the JWs I went back to school and have been counseling abused men and women for the last 18 years

Since I went into recovery I have been writing: poetry and prose/essays. I was told 17 years ago to get my work published.

I have one e-book of my poems and have sold a few copies. I now have a larger manuscript ready to go to a publisher.

I have edited one e-cookbook and am working on putting together a second one. (Send recipes folks)

I am collecting many of the essays I have written to put together as a book on recovery from all kinds of abuse. I still need to organize and expand each chapter before sending it to a publisher.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Dreams:

Finding what I was looking for -- almost but not quite

Writing (whether published or not) -- starting to accomplish this; due in large part to everyone's kind responses. It's meant more than anyone will ever know

Breaking free from my family -- accomplished, but not without a helluva lot of scars

My children will never know what I know -- still in progress, but it's looking good

Finding the love of my life -- accomplished, due mainly to dumb luck

• ashitaka
    ashitaka
    been counseling abused men and women for the last 18 years

Wow. That must be incredibly draining and rewarding at the same time. And this is very cool:

I have one e-book of my poems and have sold a few copies. I now have a larger manuscript ready to go to a publisher.
    BT,
    Finding the love of my life -- accomplished, due mainly to dumb luck

LOL. Damn strait. My wifey found me selling pencils and string on streetcorners and took pity on me.

For both of you guys, writing is a common thread. I wonder if all of us have a book in us that we want to write.

ash

• Jessica Rabbit
    Jessica Rabbit

This is very personal but I want to share it with all of you because I am just SO DARN PROUD OF MYSELF!!!

For the past 20 years I have been on a dieter's rollercoaster. I was an expert at Atkins dieting.(low carb/high protein) I lost 90 pounds right before I met my second husband. As soon as we were married and stopped honkytonkin settled, I started packing on the pounds again. My heaviest weight was 285 on a 5'7" frame. O.K. I know I am ruining all you guy's mental picture of me because of my alias. Actually the bra size and the hair color are right on the money. (hehe)

Last year I decided that I had gone through enough humiliation with all my struggles of being obese. I knew that I was not supposed to be that way naturally. It NEVER felt right. Even though I knew there were clothing stores for FAT LADIES, I refused to go in them. Talk about denial. Every negative look or comment I would get would cut just like a knife. .

I developed sleep apnea about 3 years ago and it was so severe that the sleep study revealed that I would stop breathing 101 times PER HOUR! The lack of sleep caused my insulin levels to increase which caused my weight to increase even faster. Well, in December of 2002 I had gastric bypass surgery. (like Carnie Wilson and Al Roker) So far I have lost 70 pounds and I have dropped 5 dress sizes. The weight is starting to fall off so fast, I am ecstatic. I can't wait to reach my goal by December. My husband was so good to me through this whole ordeal, but I know he is really glad that I am getting back to the way I looked when we met. Let's face it, looks matter to some degree. I felt so miserable before and dreaded leaving my house. As soon as I can figure out how to send pictures, I would love to post "before" and "afters" for anyone out there who might be interested in the surgery.

Jessica Rabbit

• freein89
    freein89

Way to go Miss Rabbit,

You better watch out for Elmer Fudd, he hunts for sexy Wabbits, hehehehe Wabbit Twacks!

Deb

• freein89
    freein89

Oh and one more thing, here is how an Ex JW tries to chase a dream

1. I am not unworthy, I deserve a dream and success

2. I am unworthy, a good for nothing slave

3. I am not unworthy, I deserve a dream and success

4. I am unworthy, a good for nothing slave

5. I am not unworthy, I deserve a dream and success

Continue to repeat steps 1 and 2 until you belong in the looney bin.

Does it sound like I'm stuck?

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart
    dumb luck

Anybody remember George of the Jungle? That was George's Secret Weapon! Actually, I look on meeting Big Tex as a beautiful gift from God.

As for my dreams, when I was a kid I wanted to be an international jewel thief (remember "It Takes A Thief"?) but now that I'm all grown up I realize that there are several flaws to that plan.

I've tried my hand at fashion designing and I really love it and am fairly good at it, but I need a heck of a lot of money to keep it going and a better retail market, which isn't going to happen for a while.

My really REALLY big dream was to be happy and not bored. In the past 20 years with Big Tex, Jennie, Jackson, Dexter and Ladybug I have realized that dream COMPLETELY. Thank you, my darlings!

As for my other dream, to be a beach bum, well, I might save that for retirement . . . .

Nina

• teejay
    teejay

Amassed my first million.

But my REAL dream is a ways off: to help my 4-yr-old daughter blow out the candles on her 50th birthday. I aim to be there.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

jess- that's great!

freein---I know what you're saying, man.

nina--

My really REALLY big dream was to be happy and not bored. In the past 20 years with Big Tex, Jennie, Jackson, Dexter and Ladybug I have realized that dream COMPLETELY. Thank you, my darlings!

Very cool.

As for my other dream, to be a beach bum, well, I might save that for retirement . . . .

MmmMMMMMmmm. Beach. We have that here in Jersey, just don't go in the water. I'd probably go for the mountains, so I can catch every movement of the sun, sunrise, sunset, and keep in the shade underneath a gorgeous tree reading or writing novels. Excellent.

Teej,

to help my 4-yr-old daughter blow out the candles on her 50th birthday.

awesome. I hope that if I have kids, I can do the same thing.

Amassed my first million.

You're not a millionaire already? How shocking!

I'm not either, and that's just as shocking. I thought all that wishing would come to something.

ash

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit