Do you play the LOTTERY?

by Fisherman 32 Replies latest social entertainment

• sloppyjoe2
    sloppyjoe2

For whatever reason I will play the powerball or megamillions when it’s over 500 million. It’s fun to dream with no real expectation.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

I’ve heard that in other countries not USA, they give you all your money on the spot and no tax. But in the US, they play games when it is time pay. First they tax and deduct as much as they can. If you want all your money you have to settle for what they call a “lump sum” settlement.

I don’t trust the way the pick the numbers either. You don’t even know for sure if you have zero chances to win when you play. I’m sure the games are legit but how would you know if you are not wasting your time and money. Hopefully not —that is for those who play.

• SydBarrett
    SydBarrett

"For whatever reason I will play the powerball or megamillions when it’s over 500 million. It’s fun to dream with no real expectation."

Same. If I hear it's gotten huge and I happen to have some cash in my wallet, i'll buy a ticket or two on my way home from work. It's no bigger expense that getting a soda or bag of chips from the vending machine.

But I hate getting caught behind someone buying scratch cards.

"let me get a number twelve. And uhhhh, 3 of the number eight's. No, 2 number eight's and a number ten. and uhhh...uhhhh......uhhhh...and number fifteen. And let me cash in these from last week, I think I might have a few dollars won. Oh I got 10 dollars? OK, then let me also get a......"
    and on and on.

While the rest of the line in sigh'ing and growing angry because they just wanna pay for their soda or chewing gum and be on their way.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Lotto is for the mathematically challenged. That said I do dabble on the off chance i hit.

The elders will DF you. It has to do with greed, the payout is not penny ante. The WT should look in a mirror regarding greed.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

It was funny as I used to buy them as a JW. It started to become more frequent when I was changing from PIMI - PIMO - Pomo. Mind you I was doing a lot of stuff I shouldn’t have been doing anyway. So getting caught buying lottery tickets was the least of my problem. All good times.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    It has to do with greed,

Nah, it looks bad. Imagine Bethelites and Elders and millions of JW waiting on line to play the lottery and talking about what they would do with the $.

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

A common warning about gambling which is frequently flashed across the TV screen in this country reads : “You win some, you loose more”

I am saying this from the bar of the local football club, while my wife is having a play on the poker machines!

She, though, knows her limit, so it is never a problem. While never into gambling myself, I don’t see a flutter on a lottery ticket as being a problem - as long as a person knows when to stop.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Well I was only 6 numbers of 7 wrong this time. Almost always you see the small winners buy more tickets.

Locally 1 million (especially after taxes) will buy a decent (not mansion) home, with enough left for a new car, but not Rolls, corvette, or such

If penny ante poker is on the personal conscience list, how about strip poker?🙂

• WokenfromJWcult
    WokenfromJWcult

In the barios, the lottery is considered their retirement plan.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

back in the 90s--the small company i worked for had 9 staff. We formed a syndicate on the lottery ( UK ). Back then there were 49 numbers.

My suggestion was we all picked different numbers, the same each week. That way we covered all the numbers--which shortened the odds slightly. But no--the dopes wanted their own " lucky numbers " so a lot of numbers were duplicated--and others not covered.

The decision was that any £10 wins ( the minimum ) would be pooled to pay for the christmas dinner and booze up.

My line won the £10 a few times--but mostly no-one won anything. But thanks to my wins the xmas fund had a nice little ££amount in it--that was till 2 of the boneheads took the lot and invested it in scratch cards.

Then there was nothing left--and i boycotted the group.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit