The absolute insanity that religion breeds

by LoveUniHateExams 38 Replies latest social current

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

From this morning's web grab bag of information (grin).

A strange thing about this illustration is that the woman is portrayed as having 1 lost hand already. Is that meant to imply that this is the second time she's had to grab a man's dik in order to save her husband's life? If so, if I was an elder back then I believe I would have to consider counselling her to find a new husband

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW
    BluesBrother, what do you mean by "o/p"?

Badfish, I did not say I was "... never able ..." to believe. There was a time when I believed. Notice in my first post in this topic that I said "... when I believed ...". I was raised from infancy (2 Timothy 3:15) by my JW parents and my JW grandparents. When I was very young (such as younger than 8 years old) I probably even didn't doubt the existence of God, Christ, Satan, etc. At age 8 I enrolled in the JW's Theocratic Ministry School and gave my first talk (a #2 talk), a Bible reading (with comments written by my mother), to the congregation from the podium on the stage. [My mom told me how to pronounce the hard biblical names and other words.] I did that because I thought it was the right thing to do (due to the indoctrination I received from attending the Kingdom Hall and reading the WT doctrinal literature, including the NWT Bible).

When I was very young I believed that the Bible was true and Jehovah God's word. At that age I probably wasn't skeptical minded about what the Bible says about the supernatural. But at some point, probably around age 10 or so, I started having some doubts as I learned more about science and other things and as my critical thinking skills became more developed. When in high school (and/or maybe in 7th - 8th grade) I read stories about the ancient gods of the Greeks and of other pagans. I didn't believe in them (though I believed that according to the Bible and according to secular history that many ancient people believed they were real gods). My carnal (fleshly) mind did not feel condemned by them instead it told me they are just as unreal as Santa Claus and goblins and the tooth fairy. Studying stories about such gods in school (and seeing TV shows and movies on TV illustrating the myths about them) got me to thinking that the world I live in does not have supernatural activity (including gods appearing in person to humans and talking them) of such alleged gods, unlike the world of the ancient pagan stories. Starting around the age of 12 I noticed that my prayers to God, even for things I definitely thought he wanted me to improve on (according to the Bible and Wt doctrines) don't seem to work, but I kept praying anyway until about the time I became an atheist. The ineffectiveness of prayer led me to seriously doubt about Jehovah being real, since the Bible says in some verses that Jesus said anything people ask the father the father will do, even to the point of performing amazing miracles. The Bible also says that the father wants good things for his people, including granting requests for good things. [A verse says that just as a human father won't give his child a stone (or snake?) when the child asks for bread, likewise the heavenly father would act lovingly through his gifts to those who make requests to him.]

Does your carnal mind prevent you from believing in the ancient pagan gods (I'm not talking about graven images) as real supernatural gods (not merely idols or demons)? I guess you believed they were real demons. I disbelieve in the biblical god for the same reason I disbelieve in the ancient pagan gods, namely there is no evidence for their existence and no evidence for the actions attributed to them. Due to the types of descriptions about them, the evidence should exist if those gods exist. If the pagan gods were real the evidence should exist since the accounts about them describe them doing things which humans could see and hear and touch, and that even some of the gods (both male and female) had sex with some humans.

At about age 13 or 14 I began contemplating whether or not I should become baptized as a JW Christian. At that point I wasn't sure if the supernatural claims of the Bible were all true, including the accounts of Jesus having lived on Earth and having performed miracles. I also wondered if biological evolution was true instead of biblical old earth creationism (I thought young Earth literal 6 (or 7) solar day creation was disproved by science). I also wasn't entirely sure if the JW religion was the one true religion and specially chosen by God. I did research using WT literature (the NWT Bible and books which included quotes of scientists and historians, but I didn't know many of the quotes were misrepresented/mishandled and I didn't many arguments from opposing points of view) and as a result I concluded the Bible was true. I got baptized at age 15 and very soon began being assigned #4 talks which explained the Bible according to WT doctrines. Later while in college I was appointed a JW ministerial servant (the JWs equivalent of a deacon), without being told I would be made such and without being asked if I wanted to be such, and years later I gave some public sermon talks (of about 45 minutes in length) to the congregation. But from time to time as a baptized JW I had doubts about the JW religion being the true Christian religion and about God even being in existence. I especially had doubts about the demons being real, since I observed no demonic activity ever.
  • Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Badfish and other evangelizing Christians, I notice you speak of God's standards and or them being perfect. But, God, the biblical God, never told me his standards. No god ever told me his/her/its/their standards. Instead of the God telling me his standards it is only humans speaking or writing in the name of a god (or gods) telling me the alleged standards of an alleged god (or gods). The Bible is not the word of the God. If there is a god who has standards for humans, that god should communicate it directly to all humans, so that there is no confusion as to what his/her/its/their standards are. Instead we have may humans and many religions promoting conflicting competing standards in the name of one or more alleged gods/spirits. Some religions, such as the JW religion, even have changed some of their standards (standards which they say are the standards of God) over time.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

How will dyed-in-the-wool christians get their heads around quantum physics???

• Badfish
    Badfish
    Badfish and other evangelizing Christians, I notice you speak of God's standards and or them being perfect. But, God, the biblical God, never told me his standards. No god ever told me his/her/its/their standards. Instead of the God telling me his standards it is only humans speaking or writing in the name of a god (or gods) telling me the alleged standards of an alleged god (or gods). The Bible is not the word of the God. If there is a god who has standards for humans, that god should communicate it directly to all humans, so that there is no confusion as to what his/her/its/their standards are. Instead we have may humans and many religions promoting conflicting competing standards in the name of one or more alleged gods/spirits. Some religions, such as the JW religion, even have changed some of their standards (standards which they say are the standards of God) over time.

God has shown it to you, but you have suppressed the truth.

“For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Claiming to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things.” (Romans 1:18-23)

If God is calling you, you will recognize his voice. Your statements above seem to imply that you want him to speak to you on your own terms. But God speaks to his people on his terms, and his elect recognize his voice, and they listen.

“My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.” (John 10:27)

• EverApostate
    EverApostate
    Except real Christianity, which has nothing to do with your own works but everything to do with what Jesus has done, where salvation is a free gift that cannot be earned.

Christianity is real. Really ?

The gospels were written 40 years after the supposed miracles of Jesus and they were adopted by Romans, edited, compiled,edited, compiled, edited, compiled ,edited, compiled and still there are numerous verions of the Bible, having their own Interpretations...

BTW, what is salvation ? Nothing but hypothesis theory to Enslave mankind

• EverApostate
    EverApostate
    There is plenty of eyewitness testimony that establishes it.

My Testimony
    There are plenty of eyewitnesses that saw my great grandfather resurrecting many people. Of course those eyewitnesses are no more alive and have not written down anything about it. And I dont know their names either.
    And my grandpa is gone too.
    Its all hearsay from their generation to me

If you beleive this you would be rewarded, Else Punished

• iXav
    iXav

When religion meets crazy, anything is possible.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Badfish, have the gods Zeus, Baal, Hathor, and Isis (the latter one being a savior goddess) ever spoken to you? Have they ever called you? If not, what do you think that indicates about them and of their relationship in regards to you?

Badfish, why do you call yourself Badfish? Doesn't the Bible state that those who have become born again have been transformed and have the indwelling of Christ and the holy spirit and do not continue to sin (1 John 3:9)? Do you think of yourself of being one of the fish of Christ who has turned bad, maybe even apostate? If you do continue to sin shouldn't that cause you to think that maybe you were not called by the god or that some verses of the Bible are false?

Earlier I said 'BluesBrother, what do you mean by "o/p"?' I am now guessing that "o/p" means "other people".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit