Which was the best century to be born in?

by defender of truth 11 Replies latest jw friends

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

http://www.businessinsider.com/10-reasons-2016-is-the-best-time-to-be-alive-2016-8/#1-there-are-much-fewer-hungry-people-in-the-world-1

Is the world getting better?

In which century would you rather have been born, given the choice? The 19th century? Earlier?

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

The world is getting better, there are so many amazing things in this century. Technology, medicine, travel, literature, ethics and morality, compassion and charities, a wonderful array of food but in some ways it is still primitive. Cults, materialism, politics and the multinationals dominated by sociopaths. I would have liked to see the twenty-third century, I think it will be awesome.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

This one the 21st. for mankind has improved upon the human experience and most likely the 22 sd century. will be even better.

• redpilltwice
    redpilltwice

Now = wow!

• Saename
    Saename

If I could choose to be born into a rich family, it would be Victorian England. I love this era, but it wasn't as good for poor people.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Is the world getting better?

In which century would you rather have been born, given the choice? The 19th century? Earlier?

I may be too analytical about it, but here are my thoughts:

1. The number one thing that comes to my mind is that the fact that I choose a great period to live doesn't mean that I'm going to have a good life. In any period of civilized humanity we have all the social issues we always have. How do I know that I'm not going to be a slave, or a member of an oppressed class?
    2. Life is never in black and white. I personally don't use "good or bad", "better or worse" to characterize the entire world at a given moment. Some things are great today and not so great.
    3. Then there's the "according to who?" factor. What does it mean that according to the article, for example, "more people have access ti clean water", for those that to this day still don't? Is this ear better for them? Is this considered the best time to live for that? And for who?
    4. What is being measured as criteria for "better"? What that means to you may not mean the same to me. For a person who loves being sexually open, maybe ancient Rome was the best place to live... unless you were a slave and had no saying about your life. I could live without running water or electronic devices if I was a rich aristocrat, but not if I was a member of the poor class.

It's not just about the conveniences that today's world provide; it's about access to them.

• Simon
    Simon

Life is better than it's ever been for many many people, of course it doesn't mean it's still crap for many.

The west though suffers from many serious "first world problems", like OMG, someone was rude on Twitter or there was a lineup at the checkout and buying my luxury groceries flown in from round the world took minutes.

I think things are probably on the decline though. The world seemed a bit simpler and less crazy 20-30 years ago and there wasn't as much reality TV.

• HappyGal
    HappyGal
    The west though suffers from many serious "first world problems", like OMG, someone was rude on Twitter or there was a lineup at the checkout and buying my luxury groceries flown in from round the world took minutes.

Simon I'm laughing so hard!

• schnell
    schnell

If I'd been born at any other time, it wouldn't be me.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

I thought about the wild west period but thinking about it, I thought about paradise for JW's. No inside lavatory, no Wal-Mart,no movies,no football damn near nothing. There is no time in the past (especially picking cotton all day) that seems inviting....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit