A religion or OCPD?

by Xanthippe 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    1. I came across this paragraph about the causes of OCPD and it occurred to me that JWs as a religion do reward OCPD traits. They insist you adhere to rules and behaviours to the impairment of social and family activities. Perfectionism, strict moral code, lack of generosity.

So does this religion cause this personality disorder or does it recruit people who suffer from it?

By the way I disagree with the conclusion of the paragraph, I think all rule-bound societies are dysfunctional.

• Cultural factors may play a role. Societies or religions that are very authoritarian and bound by strict rules may impact early childhood development that affects personality expression. A word of caution: not all rule-bound societies are dysfunctional and OCPD traits may in fact be rewarded within that specific cultural or religious context.

What are the symptoms of OCPD?

• Excessive devotion to work that impairs social and family activities

• Excessive fixation with lists, rules and minor details

• Perfectionism that interferes with finishing tasks

• Rigid following of moral and ethical codes

• Unwillingness to assign tasks unless others perform exactly as asked

• Lack of generosity; extreme frugality without reason

• Hoarding behaviors

https://iocdf.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/OCPD-Fact-Sheet.pdf

• Thisismein1972
    Thisismein1972

"putting on the new personality." By these words used by the watchtower for someone who falls in line with their teachings. Yes I would say it causes one to have issues with OCD, or any mental illness for that matter. I would even argue that there is a certain percentage that may suffer from a spectrum schizoid personality disorder too.

• Thisismein1972
    Thisismein1972

I am just coming out of a stretch of depression. Not only that, I have had a a bout of irrational fear of death. These symptoms are a product of my upbringing in this cult. You can escape this cult. However, the mental torture can stay with you for a long time. I hope one day I can get over this. Or at least alleviate these feelings to an extent that I can live a normal life.

So yes, by my own experience, I can truly say that such mental illnesses as OCD are a product of being in a high control cult.

• Chook
    Chook

This religious indoctrination has side affects that some take to the grave. The creation of little judges by a cult is its legacy, for people to willingly submit to this mental torture is astounding.

• fukitol
    fukitol

What's a goddam OCPD? Hate acronyms!

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder, Fukitol.

• fukitol
    fukitol

Lol. I'm OCPD against acronyms.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Both disorders seem to be about behaviours and rules that make people feel safe in an unsafe world. Which strongly reminds me of religions, isn't that what they're all about?

• fukitol
    fukitol

What do you mean by 'both disorders'? I only see one as the topic of discussion: OCD?

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder is different to Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder, Fukitol. There is a great deal of information about them online. When you have read about both I would be interested in your thoughts

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit