Don't preach, sell books.

by mikeypants 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mikeypants
    mikeypants

I haven't seen this article before but I apologize if this has been discussed.

I decided to download a bunch of JW literature and came across this special bulletin from 1928, a special colporteur edition. It was written by the society and sent to the roughly 1400 colporteurs, which is someone pushing religious books and magazines.

If you want the entire bulletin id be happy to email it. But I wanted to share the part that grabbed my attention and provided me a laugh. They sum up the bulletin with suggestions on how to sell the most crap. Its a combo of the Ministry School book and the KM, where they have examples for preaching and such. You know, where you say this if the householder says this and so on.

Here's a few paragraphs I loved.

"Here offer them the books and state the price and tell them how helpful they be in their bible studies, also tell them how many you are selling to your neighbors. Try to get them to buy, but don't let them say no. Watch their lips, and if they don't show signs of buying, start to canvass again, using these questions...

If they don't buy yet, show them another question or two; try to close the sale.

If they simply won't buy, look for someone else. Don't spend too much time with any one, and don't preach-sell books. If you want to preach, rent a hall. "

Anyway, that last line made me laugh.

• mikeypants
  • wifibandit
    wifibandit

That is a Great find!

https://infotomb.com/bci39

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

mikeypants. I have never seen that article until now. Thank you for posting it.

In the second column, it says, "This sells many books for us".

I, along with millions of others, based my life, staked my life, on these con men from Crooklyn.

Never again.

LoisLane

• steve2
    steve2

The intensity of conviction stands out. This is a good three full years before the name Jehovah's Witnesses was adopted and promoted.

What a long range perspective! Andwhat a sobering reminder that intensity of conviction does not turn fiction into truth. Delusion remains delusion no matter how many people believe it.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy
    Seems like the religion has gone back to that with the Carts, "don't preach, sell books"
  • pixel
    pixel
    1928 ah? Just 9 years after they were chosen by Chist himself.
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Wasn't this around the time that "the ancient worthies " were all due to return to the earth and live in the house called Beth-sarim and rule the world?

Oh wait, that never happened now did it?

Hmmmm...... Yep, but how many witnesses know the truth about that major stuff up?

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee
    I knew a brother who had been a colporter in this times (30's) and he was quite a salesman. A riot to work with in service.
  • mikeypants
    mikeypants

@wifibandit

Thanks for linking the document!

@loislane

It's funny to read this stuff now but I can imagine all the lives ruined due to this sort of thing. It sickens me to know millions of people follow these guys, including my wife. Only thing I can do is keep my daughter from being sucked in.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit