Stopping Thought Stopping.

by Peeringin 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

the truth = the CULT

they really dont like that word.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

How can you call it "The Truth" when much of the belief system is based on the opinions of 8 men (aka: Bible based principles are still not Biblical and are man made rules) or it can change or flip flop (aka "New light")?

Truth does not change. It is a constant. New understanding makes old understanding false in the present just as much as it was in the past. Calling it "The Truth" is the antonym of what it truly is - a belief and a belief is just a nice way of saying opinion.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

I agree with the questions. Well placed, thought out, also examples, from other groups etc, that they will agree isn't good, but in actuality the JWs, or at least the WTBTS rules, are doing it too.

Also, LOTS of patience.

• Ding
    Ding

When it comes to discussing the Bible or WT literature with JWs, often we need to ask focused questions that they would never ask.

Otherwise, they look at all sorts of contradictions but never actually see them.

Even when we ask good questions, they sometimes shut their minds down anyway.

I find I can be more patient with them when I recall my own history of blind spots.

• blondie
    blondie

I found it better to ask a few questions that they could easily affirm; then drop one on them that they had to back away from the first 2 questions or figuratively jump off the cliff. Maybe this?

Socratic method

http://changingminds.org/techniques/questioning/socratic_questions.htm

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Thanks Blondie, a couple of questions Socrates used stand out as particularly useful :

" What would refute this ? "

" Why do you say that ?"

There are many more in the Article.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit