About the JW Russian action

by Gorbatchov 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

What I don't get about the Russian petition action:

Watchtower launched at March, 21 the petition action.

In the instructions they write it can take 14 days for postal arrival in Russia.

On april, 5 they expect legal clarification from the Supreme Court.

So, conclusion: the letters will arrive just around the day of clarification.

Conclusion: this action is planned for media impact only.

If it was to make judges think, (what they don't do on a petition cry),

they are much to late. The juridical clarification proces is not done in one or two days.

G.

• freddo
    freddo

I believe it is as much a "keep 'em busy" and "distracted" tactic as anything else.

All the weak minded will be hyped up and coming to the memorial thinking that the "end is nigh".

• Drearyweather
    Drearyweather

Depends on what type of postal service was used for sending the letters and from which part of the world the letters are sent.

From my congregation (India), 200 individuals letters were sent through registered speed post, sent on 23rd March and was delivered to Kremlin on 30th March.

Regarding media attention, they themselves admit in their press release:

“The Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses wants to heighten attention to this critical situation,” states David A. Semonian, a spokesman at the Witnesses’ world headquarters.

https://www.jw.org/en/news/releases/by-region/russia/jw-mobilize-global-response-to-threat-of-ban/

• smiddy
    smiddy

Singing and praying in a KH may not be extreme however claiming the Russian government will be overthrown by Gods Kingdom (interpretation needed here) according to Bible prophecy might just do that.

Also

Encouraging potential new members/Bible studies not to be involved in politics ,the military ,reject higher education ,dont be engaged in sports ,isolate yourself from the general community in all activities ,and regard all others other than Jehovahs Witnesses as tools of the Devil , no wonder they are regarded as an extreme religious dangerous group that should be curbed .

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

Dreary,

What I mean to say is that this kind of proces, interaction between state and religion does not work effictive by using letters by members pretending to be general public. The other side of the table knows this and it disturbes a negotiation between involved party's.

It could be effective when there were made concessions. Like between China and the Watchtower during the 90's, when the Watchtower changed their definition of the word "Kingdom", for negotiation with the government.

Last moment action is a sign of ineffective negotiation. Case lost.

G.

• Drearyweather
    Drearyweather

Yes. Even I agree.

However, recently I discussed this with a friend who had a chat regarding this with a person from the local branch office. JW's have used up all possible legal means to challenge this action. In fact negotiations with Russian officials had been on the cards right from the Moscow liquidation episode. They even had a tract distribution in Russia during that time which was called "Could it Happen Again?- A Question for the Citizens of Russia". Since Supreme Courts in Russia had already ruled unfavorably in many cases involving them, it remains a lost hope for JW's, especially due to the final suspension notice.

Jw's even made concessions in this. When their publications were put in the Banned list, they did not use it during their meetings and preaching. However, when it comes to basic beliefs, they wouldn't change their doctrines to match up with the extremism definition of Russia. They didn't do this during the Nazis, wont do it now. In fact, there would be no point in having religions revise their doctrines to match the Governments definition of what is extremist and what is not,

Now, since legal options are almost zero, JW's have started using their so called Theocratic strategy, i.e. invoking a sense of 'family' among other JW's across the world. Spiritually, since all JW's consider themselves as a part of one big brotherhood, they have now used up their final means of direct confrontation. According to some witnesses I know, this letter campaign is not about Putin vs Jws, but Jehovah vs Satan. This campaign is to invoke a sense of solidarity and oneness among the witnesses. The same source mentioned that the Russian branch has already planned an extensive underground Plan B, in case the April 5 decisions goes against them. And this underground activity of JW's is what bothers me the most.

• smiddy
    smiddy

It could be effective when there were made concessions. Like between China and the Watchtower during the 90's, when the Watchtower changed their definition of the word "Kingdom", for negotiation with the government.

Sorry Gorbatchov i`m not aware of this could you please elaborate on it ?

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer
    The same source mentioned that the Russian branch has already planned an extensive underground Plan B, in case the April 5 decisions goes against them. And this underground activity of JW's is what bothers me the most.

Can you say anything about what the 'Plan B activity' will be?

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

This is similar to what Watchtower did in Mexico to maintain ownership of the kingdom halls when laws were passed that all religious buildings became state property for the benefit of the community. This did not affect worship but meant Watchtower could never flip the buildings for profit. Watchtower changed the building purpose and then gave the impression they were an education center (building). They also dropped the singing of songs.

• alanv
    alanv

JWs love any persecution that happens within their organisation. To them it is proof that they are the only true religion, as Jesus said they would be persecuted. So its obvious why the governing body make a big deal of this type of thing. Plus of course they want their organisation to continue to grow in countries like Russia as there are relatively few witnesses there at the moment compared to the huge population.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit