You know it's the Truth, because it attracts crazy people.

by schnell 31 Replies latest jw friends

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

schnell, you should know better by now:

Do we say the same thing for other institutions?

Yes

Which ones?

Insane asylums and USA Congress

Why?

Insane asylums because they are for, well, the insane.

Congress, well, need I finish this sentence?

On a more serious note, one of the things that made me start opening my eyes and leave was precisely that I started noticing in the congregation I was in, a lot of people with a number of different mental health conditions. That was my biggest eye opener.

My awareness started with me. As an older teenager, becoming a young adult, I decided to finally give that Jehovah nonsense a serious try, not because it was imposed on me, but to give it a fair chance. A few years later I found myself extremely depressed, sad and feeling horrible about myself. I tried looking for some kind of role model (didn't know at the time that that's what i was doing), but I was looking to see a good example of anyone who I could follow. First, since at that time I was already labeled as the brother "with that problem", every single male in the congregation thought I was coming on to them simply by me attempting at striking a conversation. Then the elders kept telling me that if I was depressed it was because there was something I had to confess to them to feel better, and that service is the best antidepressant. And don't get me started with the nasty, ill-intended, backstabbing gossip!

I finally had it with their --it, so I went to a psychologist. It felt so great! However, I started asking myself who else in the congregation may be in similar position than I was, and that's when i started seeing people, I mean, really seeing people in the congregation. I alone, without having any professional mental health experience, saw people with depression, anxiety, a lot of compulsive behavior (there was a sister who used to cut herself, and a lot, I mean a lot of people with all kinds of eating disorders and issues around food), there was this young guy who claimed that Jehovah was talking to him directly, there was this other guy who wanted his mother dead so she can be resurrected in paradise, there was a sister claiming that her children's father was Satan, I mean, I saw a lot of people suffering, expecting some kind of healing or miracle from their Jehovah, there, going to meetings and doing was they were told and expecting something in return.

It was very saddening and scary, both experiencing depression and seeing so many people suffering too. That was when I decided to leave that organization. A lot of people around me thought that my leaving had to do with the being gay thing, but that was not the reason. My main reasons had to do with seeing how irresponsibly the WT and their people handle people with issues that affect their mental health, at the same time that I needed to protect my own mental health.

So I think that to me it's not new that there are people who notice the rather large number of people with mental health issues, some of them severe, in their congregations. Of course, they are not going to say that that's the case, so they better come up with some BS excuse to explain why congregations have so mane people with issues. Solving their issues is what attract them to the JWs in the first place. To me that's not new. What is new is that there's more awareness of it and they are trying to excuse the WT's irresponsible behavior.

• tepidpoultry
  • Spoletta
    Spoletta

I think there are a lot of lonely people who welcome any sort friendship or sense of community, that come into "The Truth". They may be well aware of the problems with doctrine, but find a kind of acceptance that they haven't experienced before. Whether it's real or not, at least it's something.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

However, rejecting absolutely anything that contradicts the narrative and insisting others (especially children and family) do the same for years or decades is arguably quite crazy.

Then in truthful reality it would better to say that the WTS cult like indoctrination drives people into a state of crazy deluded thinking for its own progressive sustainability.

The point or intent this guy was probably trying to infer is that people are crazy in consequence of being in this wicked old system of things but once they have experienced being engaged with Jah's earthly organization, they revert from that craziness into a state of happy emotional bliss. or what some describe being spiritually uplifted.

• schnell
    schnell

@scratchme1010,

schnell, you should know better by now:

Do we say the same thing for other institutions?

Yes

Which ones?

Insane asylums and USA Congress

Why?

Insane asylums because they are for, well, the insane.

Congress, well, need I finish this sentence?

Heh, you know I was being socratic and rhetorical. :P

And I experienced something similar. I gave pioneering a shot and burned out immediately. (Early mornings every single day, gas stations, etc.) It exposed me to other young people who were also pioneering, and what judgmental assholes they were. I never spoke with a psychologist, but psychology is always interesting, and the Wikipedia article on cognitive dissonance illuminated things for me.

• evilApostate
    evilApostate

At this rate, in ten years (if they don't go bust by then) they will have about 50,000 anointed people. 😆

• schnell
    schnell

@Finkelstein

The point or intent this guy was probably trying to infer is that people are crazy in consequence of being in this wicked old system of things but once they have experienced being engaged with Jah's earthly organization, they revert from that craziness into a state of happy emotional bliss. or what some describe being spiritually uplifted.

He was all over the place. In context, we were talking about the child abuse scandal, which made it that much more bizarre. I was personally upset when he said it, and he was the one laughing about the crazy people in the hall.

He's an older man than I and he's aware of most things I bring up, though not all the details. In his case, I feel like he's been trying to wake up for years, and he's holding onto anything he can, so he comes to me because he sees a lot of himself in me and wants to validate his choice to stay by trying to "encourage" me.

This is the same friend who told me that Losch put his arm around him and said, "...but look at all the things we've gotten right!"

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

People that believe in a talking snake, are they crazy?????There are millions of believers that believe it.....A friend of mine Aunt worked in a mental institution, she was attack several times by patients and the last time a lady killed her. A big difference in people that have a mental disorder and folks who have been told a big fat fib.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

I was always amazed how many people came from really bad backgrounds. There was always crazy ones in all the congregation I was with. Some more so than others. But think about it everyone in the Borg has to be crazy because they all look forward to everybody who is not a jw will be destroyed. That is sociopathic as you can get. So one sociopathic to another is yes the so called truth does attracts crazy people. LOL. Still Totally ADD

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

SCHNELL:

I know this is a heated topic, but I'll jump in anyway.

First of all, as you know, there is a difference between being "unlettered and ordinary" and mentally ill. Witnesses like to use the unlettered and ordinary bit to give legitimacy to themselves in spite of the fact that most have no college education or the formal religious training that people in Christendom's clergy have. They latch onto this scripture for this reason. In my opinion, they don't cut it.

As far as the JW religion attracting people who are mentally ill, this may be partly true. But, I blame the fools who study with them. Their study conductors give the false impression the JW religion is going to "take care of them" and soon "their problems will be over because the new system is coming".

The problem is also compounded because the nature of the Witness religion is that people there can make divine claims (and who is anybody to argue?) Of course, not all making divine claims are mentally ill. Some just want the attention, respect, money, honor, ego trip or whatever. Then you have those individuals who really need professional help.

What you are left with is a religion with a reputation of having many unbalanced individuals. This has been many years in the making.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit