Is The Religion Of Jehovah's Witnesses Biblical?

by Vanderhoven7 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW
    ozziepost, yes a Christian can be independent and even avoid attending a congregation, but parts of the NT say that Christians are to attend a congregation (and that they would have works of the spirit and gifts of the spirit). Furthermore, when people read the Bible and become Christians of some kind as a result they will come up with their own ideas of what the Bible teaches (even if they ask for guidance from the so-called holy spirit, from Jesus the so-called Christ, and from the so called God the Father). Furthermore, they will disagree with each other on a number of those ideas. That is why there are so many doctrinal divisions within Christianity and part of the reason why various churches, denominations, sects, and 'cults' have formed within Christianity.

According to the NT, shouldn't Christianity be one? Shouldn't there be only one version of Christianity (regarding doctrines and regarding practices claimed to be required by God), instead of the numerous divisions we find in Christianity? Didn't the gospels (at least one gospel) say that Jesus told his disciples that they should be one just as "I and the father are one"? Doesn't the NT say that God is a god of order instead of disorder/chaos? Doesn't truth matter? Doesn't truth really really matter? If the Bible is true, doesn't there exist a God of Christianity who communicates very clearly to all of his followers/believers? Didn't a gospel account (the one named John) say that Jesus would send the holy spirit (also called the spirit of truth) to provide correct understanding to all disciples of Christ who request to receive such?

Since by etymology the word "theology" literally means "science of God/god" and "knowledge of God/god" (and "study of God/god") shouldn't Christianity theology be a true science, an actual branch of science? But Christian theology is not a real science, not a real branch of science [people study human ideas about God instead of studying God/god himself/herself/itself/themselves]. Shouldn't God/god be an entity which humans can directly study if theology is really a study of God and a science of God?

Why don't all Christian theologians, especially those who are scholars of such, agree with each other on all matters of doctrine? Why are some them Catholics, some Orthodox, some Lutheran, some Presbyterian, some Methodist, some Baptist, some evangelical, some Episcopalian, some Seventh-day Adventist, etc? Why are of some them atheist or deist or agnostic?

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

It's interesting too that just about all the names and titles of Jehovah's Witnesses are not biblical.

https://youtu.be/5rSczpql3z0

• carla
    carla

Disillusioned, there is a difference between unity and unanimity. The early church was a lively place with much debate, one thought it was bad to eat meat and the other thought it was fine, to each his own for one example. The body of Christ has many parts and different functions to each.

• MeekMessenger
    MeekMessenger

All I see here are a bunch of pots calling the kettles black. We're ALL imperfect human beings who are born sinners, no matter what Religion or Belief you profess. As far as who has "The Truth", Jehovah and the now reigning King, Jesus Christ will decide who inherits "The Earth" [Psalms 37:11] KJV. In the meantime - "You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye." [Matthew 7:5] NIV 🤪

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

What is the URL of the forum topic page which most recently documented that is was first in 1931 that the WT said the parousia of Jesus began in 1914 instead of in 1914? I do have a 1940 book (called Religion) by Rutherford which says that Jesus began ruling as king in 1914, thus providing some documentation that the doctrinal change began before the year 1941. For example page 336 of the book (in the chapter called "End Of Religion") says the following. "In the year 1914 (A.D.) Christ Jesus, the King, was enthroned. ... The Devil then realized that the time until the final battle is short and that he must act hurriedly."

Page 337 says the following.

'Seeing that his time is short, the Devil began about 1918 to gather all the nations "to the battle of that great day of God Almighty", and in this work he used religion, politics and the commerce of the world.--Revelation 16: 14.

... As the gathering of the nations to Armageddon has progressed the woes upon the people have greatly increased, and in this year 1940 the nations and the people are in very great distress because of these woes."

In between pages 96 and 97 Rutherford's book there is a full color illustration depicting the 12 apostles (with a tongue of fire above the head of each of them) at Pentecost - and the depiction of one of the 12 apostles looks astonishingly very strikingly like me!

• LostintheFog1999
    LostintheFog1999

Going back to the original post here. It is delusional of the witnesses hierarchy to honestly believe that the apostle John on the island of Patmos had visions and dreams of a small group of Americans (an undiscovered land when he was living) holding conventions in Cedar Point, Ohio!

And yet in the Revelation Climax book we had all the studies about the pouring out of the bowls of denunciation representing events in the 1920s onwards.

Yes it is in the Bible, but the interpretation and application directly to the JW religion is pure fantasy. There's saner people locked up in mental asylums up and down the country!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

LOSTINTGEFOG1999:

Totally agree.. I remember when I was brand new in the Witness religion and they were talking about that Cedar Point thing.

I absolutely did Not believe that any biblical prophecy pertained to their convention or their religion in any way!.. I just wasn’t buying it. I thought they were deluded and flattering themselves.

Naturally, I kept my doubts and my opinion to myself. But, the presumptuousness of what I heard should have made me walk out the door then.. I could have saved myself from unnecessary aggravation!

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

MeekMessenger

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, we all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of Jehovah. We have all failed to live the Christ life.

But should we not say anything when religious organizations feed lies or hurt people in an unchristian way.

When you came to this forum did you think it was proJW? Well now you know it is not. There are a few Witnesses on here that stand up for Watchtower teaching.

What you will like about this forum, if you decide to hang around, is that you can express your thoughts freely and others as well. That you will not find on tightly controlled official Witness forums.

Enjoy your stay!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit