Reminiscing about the Manchester JW Scene

by Farmer Jim1 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Farmer Jim1
    Farmer Jim1

I’m sure like many of you that use this forum I sometimes think back over the years as a JW and recall the funny, the strange and then the downright bizarre things that happened within the organisation.

I grew up and settled in a densely JW populated area of Manchester which was filled with the usual JW drama and nonsense.

If you were from the area and have any memories or stories please post them here.

One of the things I clearly recall (and I’m sure this wasn’t just a Manchester JW thing) was the massive drinking culture within the JW community. I didn’t really pick up on it until I started questioning things but looking back I can remember my parents taking about an elder in the hall that drank a can of beer before going to the Thursday meeting. One of his fellow elders brewed his own beer in a shed so he had a good supply on tap! And there were many occasions where JW parties turned wild once enough alcohol had been consumed.

One time that we had the C.O staying at our house he got back from the meeting before my family and he asked me to get him some of my dads beer from the fridge (must have been a tough meeting!).

Any parties that I went to, especially in one congregation I was in, were awash with alcohol. I clearly remember stopping in my tracks in shock at how many bottles of wine were at the ready at an older sisters house party.

The cong that I was an MS in was also quite accepting of binge drinking. Several of the elders and MS’s were fond of a drink or five and I never even tried to keep up with them. On several occasions at the Sunday morning meeting it wasn’t hard to tell which appointed men were still ‘filled with spirit’ from the night before!

There was an occasion where a pub in central Manchester had put a sign up saying ‘no Jehovah’s Witnesses allowed entry’ during convention time at the Manchester Arena. I think this was linked to a booze-fuelled fight between two or more witnesses immediately after the Saturday convention session. (Would love to hear more about this story if anyone knows about it).

i once approached the COTBOE and suggested that he arrange a local needs talk on a balanced view of alcohol. The reaction was dismissive. I don’t think he was a big drinker but I’m guessing he might not have got it past the other elders. Anyway, looking back there was probably a larger proportion of alcohol dependant witnesses than I realise. The more I research the organisation the more I find information on governing body members having alcohol at breakfast, Rutherford being a raging alcoholic and using dedicated contributions to smuggle booze from Canada during the prohibition era and there being a drinking culture reminiscent of the Steve Bruce era at United amongst the higher levels of JWdom.

A shout out to two of my old friend. JP who I think is still in (but hopefully will read this one day and leave the JWs). Remember the time we drove up to Accrington to that karaoke pub. You and your friends from Newcastle were absolutely steaming and I had to guide you all back to my car and get you home via a 2am stop at a kebab shop and the man assaulting a lamppost! Good times my friend! Hopefully we’ll meetup again some day.

And S! How could I forget the time we went to that great JW house party in the middle of Manchester during heavy snow! The party was excellent,hosts as hospitable as ever, enormous amounts of booze available and when I finally managed to prise you away at 2am and get you into my car you insisted on hanging out of the car window throwing snowballs from the moving car at scantily clad women whilst hurling abuse at anyone that would listen to you! What were you drinking that night my friend? Maybe not an episode to put on your elder cv! Seriously, I hope we meet again once the deception of the organisation reveals itself to you (maybe it already has?) and share a drink or two.

Well these were my thoughts for the day. I’m off to have a productive day whilst JWs listen to JW Sunday morning propaganda and trudge the streets counting hours. I may post more Manc musings in future. Would be good to hear your stories.

regards

FJ

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

I was around the Liverpool & Manchester scene back then. Early 80's until 2005. I remember hearing about the bar ban ?2002, I can't remember if it was announced at the arena but we had a local needs when we got back. Our Hotel had a fire alarm Sat night & we arrived back to our hotel (The Renaissance) at 3am to find our elders and families in the street in dressing gowns thanks to some plonker JW cooking in their room. That night getting caught red handed ...and our worldly nights out had us having a finger wag and a local needs and a letter from the CO, though we weren't responsible for the bar ban. At one time I remember vaguely who was involved but don't have a scooby now!

We used to love the Manchester weekend. Have a dance, have a drink, meet some new people. I still miss the pals from back then, from Liverpool and Manchester, we were from N.Wales. I used to love Deansgate for the clubs/bars...and the Jazz bar (open space painted red) and Edwards's was a classy spot....then there was the Warehouse 😝

I was asked to do an assembly item on Video Games once, talking about Street Fighter and Mortal Combat.... so embarrassed by this b.s. now ....but was famous for a day in the NYNEX arena lol.

I was in Bethel and knew Mat if you know him?) from Manchester amongst others. He used to work on the sign language section in the MEN arena. He'd stand behind the deaf JW's and whistle, to get them hearing aid twitching for a laugh ha ha.

Oh I also painted most of the Northendon ceiling Gold..... and in the old kitchen room upstairs, wrote my name in big letters on the ceiling (corner without windows) in the first coat of gold paint. I was the first person to use the gold paint and thought it would be the highlight of my life. The RBC were pissed because you could clearly see it despite several layers.... 😬

I havent been in that hall or arena in near 15 years now. I would never have guessed how things would turn out......

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

There was an occasion where a pub in central Manchester had put a sign up saying ‘no Jehovah’s Witnesses allowed entry’ during convention time at the Manchester Arena. I think this was linked to a booze-fuelled fight between two or more witnesses immediately after the Saturday convention session. (Would love to hear more about this story if anyone knows about it).

I know about this!

It was my cousin and his mates. One of his mates who was only in "the truth" for the friends and the girls - he was from a tough family. Those in Liverpool will know him, his last name was Morgan.

Anyway, my cousin, his best mate Bro. Morgan and a few others went to the pub after the convention and ended up getting into an argument with non JWs. I've been drinking with this Bro before and he loves confrontation. He likes to be the "alpha male" in every room. One thing led to another and he bottled someone (Liverpool slang for he smashed a beer bottle over someones head). A fight ensued and they were all thrown out.

Not sure if police arrived or what but the young brothers in my congregation were individually grilled about it asking what we knew, were we there? If not, where were you?

The CO lost his shit.

Our Hotel had a fire alarm Sat night & we arrived back to our hotel (The Renaissance) at 3am to find our elders and families in the street in dressing gowns thanks to some plonker JW cooking in their room.

I remember hearing about that at the time. Didnt the hotel ban JWs during convention time? Or at least started asking for a deposit or something? Something came of it anyway.

• sir82
    sir82

This thread explains a lot.

We had a brother who moved into our congregation from Manchester area, don't know which exact congregation.

Never saw him without a large vodka-tonic in his hand.

He was later "Americanized" and was soon thereafter never seen without a large mojito in his hand.

He's the only guy who could keep up with the Canadian drinker in our congregation.

Oh - edited to add - the absolute highlight, I mean the pinnacle, of his life, was the week he spent every year, without fail, in some Mexican "all inclusive" resort. Free (well, he paid for it, but it was "included") booze available 24 hours a day. Man, he talked about that vacation for months before, and months after.

• steve2
    steve2

Heavy drinking among JWs is legendary. The main point of "decision" in whether or not that level of drinking is okay is how well the drinker can "control" himself (or herself) once they have consumed a lot. I have a JW uncle (by marriage) who was admired by many because he could drink heavily all evening and still be composed. Nice to know some get away with it whilst others are dragged before judicial committees because their "behaviour" lets them down.

I have often wondered if the organization was as scrupulous about alcohol overuse as it is about "sexual misconduct the elders would be literally run off their feet holding committee meetings and handing out punishments. I suspect that the higher up the JW ladder you climb (if you're a male), the greater the tolerance for alcohol.

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

My JW parents, who were extraordinarily devout, were great drinkers. My dad would visit the pub most nights, often getting into alcohol fuelled debates with some of the regulars, and even counted the time. He spoke twice to someone and that was a Return visit duly logged onto his weekly time report.

At home there was one of those optic devices screwed to the wall that dispensed a measured amount of whisky when a glass was pushed up against it.

Sometimes, when my dad was keen on getting me to "come to my senses", he'd take me to the Robin Hood in Ironbridge for a friendly chat. His tipple was 2 Gold Label barley wines in a pint glass with a Southern Comfort chaser. It wasn't a cheap night...

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

His tipple was 2 Gold Label barley wines in a pint glass with a Southern Comfort chaser.

jeeesus!

• sir82
    sir82

how well the drinker can "control" himself (or herself) once they have consumed a lot.

100% true.

The Englishman & the Canadian mentioned in my post could slam down the hard stuff for hours on end and still not get "sloppy".

Both were (and still are) elders.

Meanwhile, it's the naive teenager who drank 3 beers on an empty stomach and hurled in the guest bathroom, & who later gets a guilty conscience (or is squealed on) who ends up getting DF'ed.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Great stories. Here in the U.S. the elders worried more about people having oral sex or masturbating than drinking. Many D.O. and C.O. I knew through the years were big drinkers. Still Totally ADD

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    steve2 - "...some get away with it whilst others are dragged before judicial committees because their 'behavior' lets them down."

Just proves something most of us have already figured out...

...it's about appearances rather than genuine ethics.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit