molestation vs murder

by amicus 4 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• amicus
    amicus

This is a something I have been mulling over for a while. My thoughts are finally coalescing into something that I can say is now my "opinion". I'm still open on the subject though (I think), so I thought I'd throw it out there and see what you all think (or should that be y'all?).

I mention it now as I just left KGB's "leaving" post and the topic was raised there.

Ok, so here's the gig....

Most, if not all, of us here have very strong opinions concerning child molestation. That opinion seems to change when it concerns the murder of children. The country I live in has almost from it's inception expected its soldiers to murder children. In the 1800's it was excused by the phrase "nits make lice" or young Native Americans would grow into adults, so better to kill them before they do (there are accounts of these brave warriors wearing the bloody uteruses of women as war trophys...a sign that there would be no more nits from that louse?). Shortly thereafter the brave boys in uniform murdered 600 Moro's in the Philipines (men, women and children) without taking any casualties with many accolades from President Teddy R (I think it was Teddy, forgive me if I ere). Many of us are more familiar with the carpet bombing of German cities in WWII *(ever seen any pictures? sickening stuff) culminating in the one of the greatest crimes of the 20th century (in my opinion), the devastation of Hiroshima and Nagasaki with atomic bombs.

The real reason I can't leave this topic though is that one of my best friends and neighbor is slowly (well, not so slowly nowdays) killing himself with alcohol because according to him he can't live with the memorys he has of the children he murdered in Vietnam. For almost 25 years I have listened to his storys, most often, but not always, he is very drunk and sobbing.

The story he relates most often (I should mention he was a helicopter gunner, shot down 4 times, bronze star and I believe a silver star) is that of the regular practice of dropping incendiary grenades on grass huts and gunning down any who managed to get out before succumbing to the flames. Why? Well he says we had a quota to meet and they were the enemy. One of the members of his squad collected dead Vietnamese babys. When he told me this gem I asked "Why did the officers allow that?", he responded "We would have killed any officer that complained, they knew that, besides we were doing our job,and we were good at it They didn't care about dead babys"(fragging was common in Vietnam).

Some of you may have read about the suburb in Panama that was obliterated because a few soldiers there had the audacity to resist my countrymen who were invading their country.

History which is mostly hidden and largely ignored can even be dismissed while discussing this topic though. Sadly the policy which condones the murder of children is a current policy and one seemingly supported by a majority of my countrymen. It seems to me (I may be undecided on this one though) that we (we as in citizens, the government has an entirely different agenda imho) do it to exact vengence for the victims of 9/11. My personal feeling is that the first Afgan murdered by the "eye for an eye" mentality of my countrys cowardly leaders (I know a lot of vets who call them the "chickenhawks", never served nor any family members in the military but...oh, so ready to put others in harms way) put the US in the same camp as those who destroyed the WTC. Then we went on to murder the citizens of Iraq?

Hmmm, murder or molestation, is there a difference?

*I Remember reading the observations of a WWII German General who stated that although they were sickened at the loss of life in the cities from the Allied bombers, they were glad and relieved that their oil supply hadn't been made a priority. He was of the opinion that the war would have ended almost 2 years sooner if the Allies had just done that one thing.

Also of interest was a historian who commented about how curious it was that, although the Allies knew about the death camps, they never bombed the rail lines that led into them which quite obviously were being used to transport the victims. He was of the opion that millions of lives could have been saved by this simple act (these rail lines were mostly unguarded as well).

• ballistic
    ballistic

I don't know BUT, just as your post relys entirely on history for it's philosophy, all the time mankind looks backwards they will be blighted by these dilemas. Could you re-write the post without refering to past blunders? If not, how can the rest of mankind do it?

• amicus
    amicus
    Could you re-write the post without refering to past blunders? If not, how can the rest of mankind do it?

Although I think history is often relevant when attempting to analyze the behaviour of a culture, it may not be necessary to refer to it here. Good input ballistic. I have to disagree with your presumption that my post relies entirely on history, unless you consider the past few months to be history. I merely tried to present a brief overview of an attitude that I do not understand and one that appears to endure over time.

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

I don’t know either, but I think that that are innocent victims in every war.
    Some wars seems to be for a good purpose (like getting rid of Adolf Hitler and Nazi-Germany at the time) and while Japan was one of the allies those days and they proved to be very dangerous, those cities where bombed to force Japan into a surrender.

Don’t forget that the Japanese soldiers in WW II, where almost “brainwashed” the kamikaze’s (heavenly wind) where very willing to offering themselves for the Emperor.
    That’s officially terrorism.

So is the killing of civilians, woman and children, merely for the sake of “if they are dead, they can’t do any harm at any point in the future”
    For the war in Iraq are (my point of view) only financial reasons.
    For part of the population in Iraq it may be much better that they got rid of Saddam Hussein, for others their country has been invaded by a hostile force.
    My opinion is that the Americans and the English should have left the Iraqi’s to deal with their own problem.

As for Korea, I am not sure but what I remember it was fear for the communists.

Never the less, war is absolutely disgusting - but... is it honorable to free people who can’t help their self's ?

The no war policy from the Watchtower is one of the few (maybe the single) dogma’s that are good.

I don’t know , BUT.

Country Woman

• Realist
    Realist

very good post amicus!

i think history tells us two things:

a) that civilization is only a very thin cover that can easily be removed to let out the animals that we still are.

b) that there is a gigantic double standard in our society. declare someone as enemy and suddely everything that seems unthinkable for your own society becomes acceptable.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit