"Are you the plumber?"

by Jourles 28 Replies latest jw experiences

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

During these visits, my dad was sometimes there as he was driving back and forth from SE IA to Des Moines because of work. We were never very close. Due to his alcoholism and drug use from my early years, he just wasn't what a dad could have been. I see so much of him in myself now and how it relates to my actions and compassion towards my stepsons.

I'm sure there are many things that I don't know or understand about this situation but based on my take on what you have said so far, I still stand by my earlier comment and I recommend that you put your ego and (your tendency to be like your father) aside one more time. If it doesn't work out, at least you will know that you once again did the loving thing even if it isn't received well.

Your Mother is is facing death and her faith is probably a great comfort to her now . It's easy for her to be cold toward you from the other end of an email and though it probably wasn't a good idea to have sent her that Leah Remini information, I have a feeling that when face to face with you, your mother will once again behave like the true person she is inside and will at least momentarily put aside the Watchtower dogma that is clouding her true identity. Perhaps you could bring that family friend with you so that she will have to save face a little and behave decently.

The relationships I have with my wife's sons could have been much better, and I have readily admitted to her and a couple of other close friends that she married a broken man thanks to what this cult did to me.

Not to sound harsh but you say you have regrets regarding how things went in the past with your stepsons (we all have regrets like that). For better or worse, you only have one Mother and when she's actually gone, a bit of your own light will go out as well. In my mind, this is your chance to keep from possibly having another regret hanging over your head all because of your having once been associated with Jehovah's Witnesses. Don't let them rob you of this one last thing.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Sorry, maybe this is inappropriate in such an emotional post, but I can't help but recall this SNL clip:

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/landshark/2832305

• Disassociated Lady 2
    Disassociated Lady 2

Darling Jourles,

Well done for writing out your story it must have been so hard. I was in the same situation with my Dad 3 years ago, but when I did go to see him he reached out to hug me and kissed me all over my face saying "My little girl". My Mum is 86 and I dont know how much time she has left, she cut me off again after the funeral was over, realizing that I wasnt returning to the org. She is not a nice person to me so I dont miss her. I will be there to support my sister when my Mum dies but that is all.

The JWs permit contact in terminally ill cases and I feel the reason for that is so that the family cares for them and the JWs dont have to. My Dad got few visits from them when he was dying and my Mum hardly gets any now she is alone. Your Mum speaks to you but she is still following instructions just as my mother does. The JWs will not shun you at the funeral, they spoke to me on that day and one of them said "your Dad talked about you all the time" as if that would give me comfort instead of seeing him.

I do hope you find a way to cope with this it is so hard. <3 xxx

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

I'm so sorry about your mom, Jourles.

😞

It's difficult to know exactly how to handle each situation. And while I can say good job, I don't think that's quite necessary.

I'm glad you have found the victories.

💜

• LV101
    LV101
    Reading the posts breaks my heart --- merciless, evil, inhumane, cult.
  • BereanThinker7
    BereanThinker7

This definitly is a triumph of sorts over the indoctrination! Thank you for posting.

• Jourles
    Jourles

Since it's been a while, I thought I would post an update...

My mom has been under hospice care since last Apr. She literally has nine lives at this point. 😆 I've experienced at least 5 near-deaths with her, each time thinking, "this is it, this is the end." But damn, her will to live is by far the strongest I've ever witnessed in my life! I have been visiting them at their home in Iowa quite extensively over the last couple of years. I go out to help with anything they may need done around the house and to just be there for them. My dad's health is going downhill fast too, leaving him nearly fully disabled. Things have been good between us. Many things have been put aside or resolved during these past years. It's a testament to what can happen even with parents who are uber PIMI. We virtually never speak about the org. However, there have been a couple times (when she seemed ready to pass on) when my mom would try to convince me and my wife to become jdubs. She told me she wants to live long enough to see me come back. Yeah, they're still locked in obviously, but that's ok. We as a family are finally now at the point where none of the cult stuff really matters. They've come to accept 'how things are.' But you know what, better late than never, right? At least they've both told me they love me, which is a far cry from just a few years ago.

I know many of you are in similar situations. My only suggestion is to reach out. Shove the hatred aside and let your love rise up to the surface. Show the ones who cut YOU OFF what unconditional love looks like. Trust me, your health will thank you for it.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Such excellent news Jourles. Thanks for telling us.

• carla
    carla

How nice Jourles! so glad you all have come to some sort of acceptance of sorts.

Sorry to laugh at her nine lives, I know when my Mom was dying and she worried that it was a burden she said, "you know you can't hurry it or make it happen" nearly broke my heart. I was in no hurry for her to go but in other strange news she did wait until a certain birthday had passed by until she went (we are all non jw) I simply reminded her in her unconscious state that it was so & so's birthday that next day and I don't care if you don't believe me but she waited until the next day because birthdays were always a big deal in our family (don't worry, no beheadings). She wouldn't have wanted her death to be a life long reminder on someone's birthday. You hear stories like that all the time if you are willing to see them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit